Freelancer not vaporware?

Supreme Cmdr

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

Wait for
Battlecruiser : End Game
, the movie based on my creation.

Not saying anything else at this point; so don't ask.

Urgh! ahh! I ...want... to...ask....

Ok, I won't ask, I will "think it"

elements.php

[ 03-09-2002, 23:35: Message edited by: Epsilon 5 ]

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Real life movie.

Don't worry, with me at the helm, there is NO way they're going to **** it up by introducing non-existent pilgrims in my history timeline.

Anyway, its still early yet and we're still negotiating. When it finally breaks, it'll be BIG news and a LOT of people are going to pass out.

[ 03-10-2002, 08:16: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

Wait for Battlecruiser : End Game, the movie based on my creation.

Not saying anything else at this point; so don't ask.

Posting something like that is bound to get people asking questions . I just have one that really doesn't have anything to do with the movie itself:

How long will I have to wait?

[ 03-10-2002, 12:48: Message edited by: Urza ]

quote:

Originally posted by DREADA:

I think the more diverse the conversation is between NPC and player, the more immersive the game is one aspect. Of course creating/implementing such apparently high-AI NPC's is not easy affair...

It could work, as long as it (a) is relevant to the storyline (B) does not detract from the gameplay.

I mean, I dunno about you, but how many times you think you're going to be hailing random NPC ships, only to get the same gag-bag repetitious bullshit? It'll get old very quickly.

This is exactly why, all these years, I never bothered with it because if you're going to do it, you have to do it right or its just another novelty that nobody uses once it wears off. The end result? Wasting coding time; and which could be spent on other things.

Its one thing putting in a canned DB of questions/responses (which is *exactly* what they're doing) and another to have a fully scripted dynamic conversation system based on an NLP (search for NLP on the forum and you should fine my discussion on it) based hybrid. In fact, for XP1, I don't even know which way I'm going yet because I'm not just going to put in two-ways comms just because a group of people want it.

Have you noticed how, in BCM you get shot at a lot? Just think, to prevent that and implement a truly dynamic conversation system that revolves around the many races and castes, I'd have to make some heavy modifications to the game's dynamics, rules of engagement etc etc etc. And even then, it won't be a true NLP (since you won't be typing at a console) but rather an NLP based DB where you select a respond (for the current target) from a menu list. In the current system, by the time you hail a ship, find a message to send and actually send it, there could be a hail of Vagrants just headed in your direction. End of dialog. And vice versa.

So, whatever they're doing, is being done in line with the background storyline. Go here. Talk to this moron. Go there. Once that plays out; its going to get repetitive pretty darn quick and by the time you're half-way through, you stop using it.

Many have tried to create a truly dynamic and free-form universe and failed (I *cough* W *cough* ar 2). Adding a conversation, even a canned one, isn't any easier.

You heard it here first.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

They have been delaying it forever and ever and ever. So I wouldn't be a bit surprised if they would either delay the game again or just plain out cancel it. Also, I saw the 2 movies on combat, (scroll down a little bit, and see the 2 movie links) and it just looks SO arcade that it made me wonder why the game is in development so long. I mean where's the tense moments like in starfleet command, where's the tactical aspect of a fight? You just see the ship coming, and try to get off as many shots as you can (which doesn't seem to be a problem). So when they said the fights are Diablo style, they weren't kidding, point and click, annoying and boring. No tactics, no suspense = prety graphics, short lived.

[ 06-10-2002, 14:44: Message edited by: Soback ]

What's with the japanese style wings? I have nothing against Japan.. it just looks out of place...

Btw, I wouldn't feel much secure in this this fighter... too much windows, little armor plating. Hope you're wearing a spacesuit all the time.

[ 06-10-2002, 15:18: Message edited by: Epsilon 5 ]

Funny you brough up the point about Japanese style wings. I was looking through the screenshots and all the characters have Japanese anime style faces. Just seems strange considering the game is being made in US by US company. I would understand it if the game was Japanese, but this just seems strange.

[ 06-10-2002, 16:32: Message edited by: Soback ]

quote:

Btw, I wouldn't feel much secure in this this fighter... too much windows, little armor plating. Hope you're wearing a spacesuit all the time.

The canopy provides 270 degree visibility. Throw in the rotating guns and you've got a kick-ass fighter.

quote:

Funny you brough up the point about Japanese style wings. I was looking through the screenshots and all the characters have Japanese anime style faces. Just seems strange considering the game is being made in US by US company. I would understand it if the game was Japanese, but this just seems strange.

Freelancer has a lot of Japanese characters in it.

quote:

Originally posted by Menchise:

Freelancer has a lot of Japanese characters in it.

That was kinda my point. The question is as to why? It's a US, not Japanese company making the game.

In Freelancer there are four ruling houses, sort of like the ruling houses in Dune. They are House Liberty, House Bretonia, House Rhineland, and House Kusari.

Kusari has Japanese origins, hence the characters and ship designs.

I'm guessing that most of the screenshots you saw are of characters from House Kusari.

Nothings wrong with that. Just seems weird that it's coming from an American company, I mean Japan is the expert in that area so that's where you would actually expect a game with anime graphics to be coming from.

[ 06-11-2002, 03:05: Message edited by: Soback ]

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

ok, here's another report on Freelancer

Note: It seems to be confirmed that there is NO joystick support.

Also note this bit "The much debated 'NeuroNet' is the game control interface, not just the space flight AI" which also confirms what I said. You can't make a joystick game out of a game that relies on character skill and/or interface for it to work.

[ 09-04-2002, 01:11 PM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

Guest Fox__Trot

Ill wait for the reviews from the bcm community before ordering (I trust them more... no honest!) besides I can just see microsoft shipping the review to the demos in a nice package of 100 dollar bills for a bribe

quote:

Originally posted by Fox__Trot:

Ill wait for the reviews from the bcm community before ordering (I trust them more... no honest!) besides I can just see microsoft shipping the review to the demos in a nice package of 100 dollar bills for a bribe

Getting us to do your dirty work for you eh?

Anyway since I'm back with the gaming world after spending too much time racing on the drag strip and spending enough money to buy 4-5 high end computers in that time, I'll help "test" it for you.

No joystick support? Thats going to be dissapointing then. It'll be sorta like Bridge Commander. Space sim needs joysticks. It just ain't right.

maybe, just maybe, it's all about MS borrowing

(or stealing) everybody elses ideas, (sound typical) personnaly, I won't buy it because it's scripted and there's absolutly no freedom to roam the univers and do as you please, (that's limited gameplay),which is why it would end up on my shelf collecting dust, after the first 3 months

Sure it looks good but there's also the EYE CANDY effect, the game(s) have to have depth and they can never be played the same way twice.

If you have to succeed by taking out that star cruiser to move onto the next mission then guess

what the next time you play it you'll have to do the same thing.

The game is not for me and will never see my hard drive.

But then again I've been called an A$%hole before

cheers all

Guest Fox__Trot

Im a strong beliver in letting someone else spend there money to test a game as for bridge commander I never played it however I dont care if I can fly the ship if I can command it ... no serrious!