Freelancer not vaporware?

Supreme Cmdr

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, ok, taking down outposts in a fighter, and frankly those screens suck.... badly. I was so excited about this game, now I think that it looks just plain out ugly, and is nothing like privateer, but rather like an arcade shoot em up style game, forget the PR bloated storyline advertisements, from those screens it looks like all you are doing is taking on 20 fighters at a time and blowing up space stations, all from a little one person fighter, what a bunch of bull, this heats me up, gonna go cool down.....

quote:

(snip rant)

That's why I've stopped believing in any kind of hype. Believe in less - get more than you hoped. If you think about the "cool" stuff that was annouced all day long, even in your dreams, you'll usually realise it's not as good as it sounded, and you'll be so frustrated you'll never be able to have fun playing that game.

Just a friendly tip - it's not a deterrent, just don't hope for too much

I have to agree with you EP5, only a few things have made it out of that statement (these things include games like BCM, Haegemonia, etc).

BTW: the thing with free lancer is that it is quite old so its engine isn't as good as it would have been some time back.

Guest JuanFermin

quote:

Originally posted by Soback:

I think that it looks just plain out ugly, and is nothing like privateer

It's funny because Privateer was one of my favorite games, so I recently took some parts that I had laying around and built a computer to run the old Win95, so I could play some of my old games like Privateer and Ultima Underworld. I remember these games as being so realistic and fun to play, but after they loaded up I realised how pixelated and ancient the graphics looked. However the game play was and still is fantastic!

Graphics are an added bonus, If Freelancer can somehow capture the gameplay of Privateer and expand on that, I think it will be a great game.. Here's to hoping

• 2 weeks later...
Guest JuanFermin

quote:

Originally posted by Masefield:

Gamespot reports that Freelancer has
!

I called my local Game Stop to see if I can pre-order Freelancer from them, they said it wasn't in the computer yet (even though it's on the website), but they did have copies of a Freelancer Demo that I could come by and pick up.

Guess where I'll be tomorow!!

Guest JuanFermin

Turns out it wasn't a Demo, it's a "Marketing Beta", I'm not even sure if this guy was supposed to give this to me, oh well, got the last copy, can't wait for this weekend to try it out, just saw the intro and got into a little fight with some pirates, reminds me of Privateer, so far it's Awesome!!!

Guest JuanFermin

Well, what can I say, Battlecruiser has ruined me for any other game. How can I enjoy the planets when they only has 6 or 7 "Rooms" that I can go to? I've become accustomed to being able to explore the entire planet. How can I enjoy fighting in a little fighter, when I've become accustomed to commanding the awesome power of a massive Battlecruiser with all of her fighter, shuttle and OC assets? How can I enjoy trading a couple of items, when I've become accustomed to having over a hundred items to choose from? How can I enjoy the vastness of space, when it looks like they've cluttered it with debris, gas, stations and so many other things? If only this game had come out a few years ago when my expectations were so much lower, before I had the chance to play Battelcruiser Millenium, maybe I might enjoy it more, BUT NO, Mr. Smart, you've ruined me for any other space simulation. In the meantime, I'll be sitting here playing BCM, waiting for my copy of BCMG and waiting for my copy of BCG and waiting for my copy of BCO. It just seems that no other space sim can measure up to the high standards that you have set.

I know, it's ready when it's ready and right now, I'T AIN'T READY!

Juan

I Find myself doubting this title. The screenshots don't excite me in the least.

The website paints a pretty picture, But I get a strong feeling it's done in watercolors, but there have been so many titles hyped this way That turned out to be a major disappointment.

I guess I'm just biased now. BCM spoils you

Battlecruiser is the definitive masterpiece in oils. BCM raised the bar, BCG and BCO will most likely put it out of everyones reach.

The logical reaction will be...

quote:

Originally posted by Wolferz:

I guess I'm just biased now. BCM spoils you

Battlecruiser is the definitive masterpiece in oils. BCM raised the bar, BCG and BCO will most likely put it out of everyones reach.

Same here mate. And what makes it worse, BCM came out over a year ago so I guess since Freelancer was supposed to be "newer" (well it has been delayed for ages), I guess I was expecting a lot more. Nevertheless, I'm still purchasing it the minute it comes out in the UK.

Guest Hellbinder[CE]

Well, A real freelancer Demo was released to Fileplanet Subscribers *exclusively*. Which means i have it

I played it for a while. Honestly. i was Simply not all that impressed. I kept getting the feeling it was Wing Commander with you being able to get your own ship, instead of getting a new one automatically.

The Graphics were no better than Iwar-II. The planet graphics were similar to Lihtech or UT. It is a demo.. so.. hard to say. It does not feel wide open and free roaming at all. Perhaps teh fullgame/multiplayer will offer it? I was expecting a whole lot more freedom. You cant even walk around on the planet. All you do is Click on "Equipment" then you pop on over to the stor. Where you click on the "guy" and the for sale menue comes up. Same for the bar, comodity trader etc..

Its a straight up BattleCruiser Knock off. With a dash of wing Commander. Minus the free roaming galaxy. Minus the Free roaming First person mode. Minus actually getting to move around on planets.. etc etc.. (insert long, long list of you can'ts)

Again, perhaps the full game with multiplayer will be better?

Any one else played it yet? Considering the number of space sim fans we have here, I find it highly unlikely that only one or two people were in a rush to grab it.

And am not sure what to make of the various degrees of comments in the FL community.

I haven't tried it yet. Been too busy.

[ 02-23-2003, 09:41 PM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

I download the fileplanet trial version but I have not played it yet. When I tried installing it, it makes you do some stuff with fileplanet, and it also seems to want to install another application along with the demo. I am not desperate enough to go through that to try the demo out....yet.

quote:

Originally posted by LordDavid:

I download the fileplanet trial version but I have not played it yet. When I tried installing it, it makes you do some stuff with fileplanet, and it also seems to want to install another application along with the demo. I am not desperate enough to go through that to try the demo out....yet.

Its the EZ-Pad app that Fileplanet uses to authenticate the key you need to run it. The regular demo should be out sometime today and thats the one I'm probably going to get.

Yep, just like I said before, it was starting to look worse and worse before, now it hit the fan (or fans ). It's floping big time. I don't know wether to laugh because Microsoft is caught with their pants down, or to cry because they basically lied and I won't get what was promised.