Freelancer not vaporware?

Supreme Cmdr

quote:

My biggest beef is the fact that the universe is flat - and looks flat - and feels flat. With a few rare exceptions, like Eve Online, most developers don't seem to realize that space is 3-dimensional. You can't even roll your ship in FS - for me that really damages the immersiveness (Isn't there a law about that?).

Sounds just like earth and beyond

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he's referring to systemized regions, i.e. planets and a star in the center of them SC.

BTW, I liked the comments you had in Computer Games magazine in the Freelancer section... PC Gamer's new issue also has BCG listed among the games they are looking forward to this year.

quote:

Originally posted by $iLk:

I think he's referring to systemized regions, i.e. planets and a star in the center of them SC.

I don't get it. If you're talking about just sticking a 3D model of a star in the center of a region (like you would place a planet in it), I don't see the value in doing it. And it adds nothing to the game. So you can fly to a star. Then what?

Maybe I'm missing something?

quote:

PC Gamer's new issue also has BCG listed among the games they are looking forward to this year.

I haven't seen it yet. Didn't you see the BCG thread about this already?

[ 03-06-2003, 01:02 PM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

It's one of those oft-overlooked but subconsciously appreciated details. It adds depth... gives a sense of distance... especially if you can get close enough to see just how BIG it really is (provided you're ship is tough enough to get that close without being reduced to vapor). The stars in Iwar2, for instance, are awe-inspiring. Exploring phenomena like stars, quasars, pulsars, nebulae, and black holes are just a few of the things I've always wanted to do. And while not vital, I'd like to be able to sit on Mercury and stare up the giant fireball that fills half the sky during the day. That's a game I could LIVE in.

I got it last night but only had enough time to load it up and play one mission. So far it looks look a pretty good sequel to Privateer.

The graphics look nice and I really liked the debris field I flew through. Pretty cool to actually have to dodge the bits of floating debris. I'm definately going to have to find a better control scheme though. I just hate that you can't use a flightstick. I was weaned on flightsim type games using a stick and there's no going back now. I think my logitech flightstick software will do the job though. I'll report back when I've had sometime to play it a bit to get a feel for it.

quote:

Maybe I'm missing something?

Now that I think about it... it would be cool to make Resnig put on a spacesuit and H.A.L.O. jump into the corona of a star...

Didn't see the other thread until now... I got my PCG yesterday.

well I got it and played it, and up to the point where you can do what you want till you reach 15k or whatever.

I like it yet I don't like it. Half of me wants to delete it now and the other half keep trying it. For me to have come to this conclusion means that it really doesn't hold anything for me.

i didn't follow freelancer, never went to any websites, all I know is that it was in development long and by Chris Roberts, and am only now kin to it that it has been released.

combat is boring. hate the old fighter pilot thing. prefer big ship big crew to command.

besides the single player is there a multiplayer universe to play in the same way?

Seems almost like a final fantasy in space, but cant move around with your character so not quite.

Wanna hear a rumour?

hehe anyone whose played it will understand

Well I've played it a bit more..

The graphics, interface and overall polish are excellent. The game play is the same old "get a mission kill the enemies get a reward" formula.

I tried to get a stick working by mapping the keys to the axis and buttons to the stick but the control isn't fine enough to effectively shoot anything. However, the mouse flight interface isn't that bad and actually kind of grows on you after a while.

I guess if you are looking for a remake of Privateer with very nice graphics and the same type of gameplay then you'll like Freelancer.

Sorry people but someone already asked this

"Will joysticks work with Freelancer"

The answer was no

And no this is not a sequal to Privateer, if you watch the intro you'll know that its a Sequal to Starlancer *Ahh starlancer.. I still play that game hehe*

Im already on mission 11 =) and man... lemme tell you this.. it took me 18 hours to get to mission 8 and im only level 14 = but thats understandable.. each time you level you get a new mission from the boss *Juni* and during that mission you level up some.

When ever you level up you know you'll be able to get a new ship.. currently im flying a bounty hunters ship.

btw

Suggestion

DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE THE ENEMIE!!! This is one game that I've learned this the hard way

I had to take on an entire fleet of Rienlend*SP* ships *one battleship and 5 cruisers plus a large squad of fighters* and lemme tell you.. it took me 7 tries to finialy get that part of the mission overwith. Its not easy, the BS and CS turrets can rip your fighters to shreads in under 4 seconds if your not careful.

The AI here is very good I might add.. rather interesting

BTW

and no you don't need to take a mission in order to earn credits and continue

You can find discoverys in the systems near you each discovery grants you a BIG bonus to your net weath.

Plus you can do trade runs.. just go to each station *Time consuming but hey it works* and buy low and sell high =) *Just like in BCM*

plus becareful in this game. I have taken trade runs and I've learn the hard way to always have an armed transport, cause the pirates that attack you are about 4 levels higher than you and that happens about 75% of the time *Giving a 25% chance of the pirates being your level or below*

This game does require stratigy and intellilect.. the later missions will require you to out think your oppeneant and to out manever him.

For once

Never take on a cruiser alone

Never take on a Battleship alone

If your good enough to take can on 9+ fighters at once *Like me.. had to in a mission* the mission commision automaticly sends in reinforcements if the amount of fighters exceads a certain about, that amount of set by the mission itself and its difficulty factor.

The graphics,gameplay and everything else about this game is preatty good only wish you could fly a cap ship, but my tastes are more for commanding a small unit or squad of fighters, I like that better I dislike having to much responsibility but then again it'll happen sometimes later in life so it can't be helped

ok enough of my rambling just my 2 cents

"The gigantic capital ships and structures that were demonstrated in initial presentations of the game have been replaced by much smaller counterparts. The gaming world is nowhere near as dynamic or interesting as initially promised--factions don't expand their borders, there's no dynamic economy, and the only nonplayer character activity involves security patrols and transport convoys traversing scripted pathways."

This statement here is a major game killer for me. When it drops to $20, then I will buy it.

quote:

Originally posted by Sebbish:

I bought this game yesterday, and I am addicted to it. The universe seems very dynamic to me. I always encounter opposing sides fighting each other, or enemy factions dropping me out of hyperspace to attack me. If the transports fly on scripted routes, who really cares? Is anyone going to notice? Soback, I would not let that review get in the way of you buying the game. It's very fun and addicting.

I agree. While its not my cup of tea (I've grown beyond arcade shooters), I don't see why that review should prevent any space sim (ooops, sorry, but I don't know what else to call it) fan from getting it.

Sure, you can wait until the inevitable price drop if you want; but unlike Starlancer, Tachyon or that STBC travesty, Freelancer is a very big step up - though to me - its a disappointment because I expected a lot more than it came out with. But thats just me. I have already uninstalled it. Now I'm waiting for X2.

I for one think it is very good. It is more of beer and pretzels kind of game like counterstrike, play for 15 minutes, quit and be on your way. For a more immersive experience, and if I have more time I'll stick to BCM. Sometimes it is enjoybale to play a less complicated sim. Well worth the $50 and something to do while we wait for BCM gold and BCG. (The MP, however, seems kind of useless unless you coordinate before logging on, the servers seem kind of like a mini mmporg that is far to big a setting for the maximum players.)

Ok finally got to download the 150MB demo from microsoft today so barring any problems with the burnt cd(I'm doing this from an internet cafe) I will post my first impressions tomorrow.

Damn I miss my home internet connection. And I wish I had BROADBAND!

I'm gonna have to say that I'm addicted...but then I have a very diversified list of games that I like. I play on the Elite 24/7 server that is hosted by Lancer's Reactor. I usually play as a pirate or smuggler so that's nice and I like actually having talking NPC's (even if they do repeat) just to keep me from feeling all alone in space when there's dozens of ships around.

The single player story seems interesting enough, if a bit cliche...I guess it depends on what you were expecting from the game. For those of you that are disappointed due to lost features, I urge you to look at the game again without those expectations. It's not what it could've or maybe should've been, but it is a good game.

Ok first impressions - not bad

Space flight/combat does remind me a lot of some Arcade blasters a couple of years ago (anyone remember Afterburner.)

Remember I'm talking about the demo still guys.

Missions are fairly limited but overall easy to get into and a good blast to play.

Having fun so far even if the dialogue is a bit corny/repetative.

Just defeated the game.... nomads are tough and presistent I can say that for sure, you kill 1 and 5 more appear out of no where.. however sense they don't have sheilds your best opition is to use high damage hull weapons (IE like the Ripper MK 2)

btw..

The ending... ooooooooooh the ending is just crying out to be a sequal. I don't know about you people but I have this strange feeling there'll be a sequal to this game somewhere down the road, maybe in the next 2 or 3 years who knows.

Saw this over at Lancer Reactor.

quote:

Warning - this info will destroy MP freelancer for you. If you do this, your game is basicly over. You can go anywhere, kill anything. This is posted mainly as an example of how flawed the economic engine of the game is. The following was done on an open server, with PvP on. No cheats were used whatsoever.

00:00 Launch. Destroyed Cargo dumps. Don't waste batteries or nanobots, just let your ship die if caught.

00:10 Sold all weapons and nanobots. Purchaced 20 light arms at Detroit Munitions Departed for Montezuma base. Nothing in Liberty is agressive anymore.

00:22 Arrived at Montezuma. Sold Light arms. Bought 16 Carmadine

00:35 Arrived at Manhattan. Sold Carmadine. Bought a Rhino and Hfeul

00:39 Arrived at Detroit Munitions. Sold HFeul. Bought 80 Light Arms

00:51 Arrived at Montezuma. Sold Light Arms. Bought 60 Carmadine.Got jumped outside, but easily outran the rogue ships

01:01 Arrived at Manhattan. Sold Carmadine. Bought Hfeul.

01:03 Arrived at Detroit. Sold HEfeul. Bought 80 Light Arms

01:11 Arrived at Montezuma. Sold Light Arms. Left Empty. Total banked: 163k

01:20 Arrived at Mactan base. Bought Dromedary and 132 Carmadine. Got jumped again, and had to use 11/12 shield batteries, but escaped.

01:31 Arrived at Manhattan. Sold Carmadine. Total 198k. Bought Hfeul.

01:34 Arrived at Detroit. Sold Hfeul. Bought Light Arms. Total: 206k

01:43 Arrived at Montezuma. Sold Light Arms. Bought Carmadine. Total 353k

01:52 Arrived at Manhattan. Sold Carmadine. Bought Hfeul. Total 587k

01:54 Arrived at Detroit. Sold Hfeul. Bought Light Arms. Total 595.

02:27 Arrived at Malta. Sold Light Arms. Total 941k. Bought Sabre.

02:49 Returned to Malta with 4 nomad guns, 2 class 9 guns, and enough cash to buy a class 10 shield. Game over.

Does this make me a good player? Hardly. My first kill in the game was a nomad. I was able to manipulate the faction system to keep myself virtually unattacked for most of the game. Any moron can pull this off. Even you.