Hegemonia: Legions of Iron

Pedro Pablo Laracuente

Well, it's coming out in a few days so i thought i should put a topic about it.

The demo was good and i liked it a lot, its the true substitute for IG3 if it doesn't see the day of light.

These games are of my kind so i asked my father and we preordered right away. I hope the game to be fun and to have that kind of magic that some games like BC3K, BCM, Conquest FW, Star Trek Armada, etc. have had on me.

It even costs 10 dollars less than a new release (40 instead of 50)

As i said i am eagerly awaiting this game, so i would like to know what do you think about this game.

The demo sucked. it was boring and I didn't liked the tiny solar system where a fighter is bigger than america, and it takes a few minutes to fly eart-jupiter on impulse.

IG3 has that grandiose feeling. Massive starships with massively large weapons, powerful engines, heavy bomber raids (god I love those .. nothing like disabling phalanx and sending the mosquitos to bite a reluctant target), ganking the enemy ships, disabling every single device then finishing it off.

I wasn't impressed by the HG movie demo, nor the playable one.

Wow, another conquest fan...their tough to come by!!

I don't think any of this will live up to Moo3, despite the restructuring and all, I have complete confidence in the final product.

I think it's release date is 27th Nov (correct me if I'm wrong)

I just checked EBgames and the supposed release date is today, Maybe its a error. Anyways it's coming out this week.

BTW, from what i have seen, MOO3 is gonna be sweet too.

I can't belive you didn't like the game EP5, well, everyone has his/her own likes so i wont argue.

quote:

Originally posted by Korono Lakeela:

Well, preordered my copy of MOO3, I really hope this 5th "X". Is all they hype it to be. I am really tired of clones. I have to say though that the level of political detail in this latest installment has the potential to be very fun.

The 5th "X" is.....eXpectance!!

I hope it's good, the first preview is up at gamespy!!

BTW, in hegemonia, how does the 3D interface work?

quote:

Originally posted by Korono Lakeela:

quote:

The 5th "X" is.....eXpectance!!

Well, as long as it doesn't happen to be "eXpenditure", I will be happy!

Or extensive dud....what the hell am I saying???

I've been playing co-op of this with a friend constantly since I got it.

A word of warning: Clear your schedule if you begin a co-op game. I'm talking the "holy crap, it's 4 AM already?" kind of clear your schedule. My chief complaints are that the storyline and voice acting are slightly loopy in places, and that multiplayer seems to be a little unstable and unwieldy in places. It's definately worth a look though, and should tide everyone nicely untill IG3 hits stores and astounds everyone with it's raw beauty. And then Homeworld 2 after that...

[ 11-18-2002, 10:25 PM: Message edited by: Parias ]

• 2 weeks later...

Been playing it off and on. It sure is a homeworld clone - with plenty of its own merits, of course. I have yet to try the co-op mode, but that should be the game's highlight for me. As it stands, it should keep people busy while they wait for IG3/Moo3/BC Multiplayer to come out.

• 2 weeks later...

got it last saturday, i should have time to review it tomorrow along with O.R.B. From the look of the community it is a great game. They have already planned mods for the game including the infamous Star Trek Vs. Star Wars II mod for Armada II (excellent mod btw, it even runs with the Armada 2 demo)

Hegemonia: Legions of Iron official web page

Hegemonia Legions Of Iron Forum

Star Wars Fleet Command (a division of Star trek Vs Star Wars II mod)

Star Trek Vs Star Wars 2 mod Forum

If you want a detailing review of the game go to gamespot, gamespy, etc.!!!

Well, the game itself is a great experience, especially for those who are sciente fiction addicts. The graphics are the best ever, and the so-called Walker Engine handles everything smoothingly(sp? LOL)and without any problems. It's incredible how a game with everhing datailed to its maximun can run with nearly perfect performanance in machines as low as these with P3 700 and GF2 (the oldest machine i have). But of course, like any other game you must have a high end machine to fully enjoy the graphics.

If you have a high end system like mine you'll notice that The graphics are so amazing that you'll spend the first few hours just looking at the things that compose the gaming area. The most astonishing animation in the game are the explosions, you'll feel like if you were there, or better yet, like if you were watching yoda fight with count dooku in ep2 (that kind of whoa!!! you feel ) If you are close enough to the explosion you'll see the screen shake... There are a lot of other things that are amazing which i'm not gonna mention because this would be the longest post in history.

Just looking at how well detailed the game is you'll feel all the care that the developers put into this.

Sound and music are very inmersive too, from laser blasts to breathtaking (sp?) explosions to missile hits.... It's a hell of a game. Music is very comfortably and has several nice battle tracks. The only bad thing here is that the speech is somewhat amateurish, something like that.

The game has a very deep story involving 4 races but you can only play as human. I don't want to spoil so i wont post details on this. It is very interesting and inmersive. It will keep you occupied if you don't want to play the skirmish.

Gameplay:

The game has a strong gameplay and an excellent replayability.

- In the campaign you wont have time to focus on all kinds of research so you wont be able to have all kinds of weapons to their fullest. (Missile, Quantum, Ion and proton).

You can also carry over your squadrons from one mission to another, along with your heroes.

You can charge tax from your planets to generate a quick buck, but it will affect your people's morale, or you could build mining stations to harvest ore and convert it into money.

- You control several systems at once (like in conquest FW, but with more flexibility) linked by wormholes.

-A bad thing about the game is the low unit limit, in skirmish you can only have about 10 military squads (not including the Allmighty Spies) which are not enough to spare between your systems, and still having a strong task force to keep on attacking. Hopefully mod tools will be released *cough*"SOON"*cough*, and you will be able to change this dramatically.

-The game features a very fun and tough spy system which can change the tide of the war. (imagine james bond piloting a spaceship full of tricks, etc. and you will get the idea). You can do lots of things with that.

-There are also 4 types of weapon (i mentioned them earlier in this post) that can be equiped into a ship. This means that for every weapon you can have a ship (excluding spies and specials) in 2 variations. thax means

4 classes X 4Weapons X 2 variations (turret and Beam)= 32 different ships though there are only 4 types so they'll look the same but with a variation in the hull. This does not detract from game play so there's no need to worry.

-There are lots of things to experiment in this game.

In overall, Hegemonia (haegemonia for Europe) is a very good game and is worth the purchase.

At least that's my and thousands of people's opinion.

9.5/10

Enjoy.

• 3 weeks later...

Was about to start a new topic when I found this already posted =)

Well sense i know a few people here have this game.. any of you play the game online? and if so anyone interested in a co-op game? I can't seem to find anyone in the lobby to play a co-op game

=( nor does gamespy have a lobby for this game

• 3 weeks later...

I bought Heg for $25 at Comp-USA when it came out, on sale. I was disappointed with Project Earth, and I heard simliar things about ORB.

I am a big Imp Gal II fan, loved that game. Heg does remind me a little of IG II, except the Heg game engine is incredible. I am also a huge Homeworld and Cateclysm fan, played through Homeworld, software rendered in less than 1 week. The music knocked my socks off. I got to the last mission, didn't have enough units because I didn't know about salvaging. So I started over when I got back home(from Christmas) and played it for the 2nd time, fully accelerated with and old TNT2 32mb card.

A year later, bought Cateclysm for myself and 2 other friends as presents, played through that one, a little slow this time, really enjoyed it.

Oh, Heg, yeah, the music is really good. I don't understand why some people don't like it. I just mess with it right now, I play BCM mostly. When I get a hankering to do an RTS game, it will be there. I have read most of the reviews, think many are waaaaaaaayy to critical. I did see one give it 100/100, too cool. I use www.gamerankings.com for reading reviews.