Gun Control, thread 3? Let's go again, shall we?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And he goes to jail (probably). Where is the failure of law here? What if the headline had read "man stabs friend in head for last beer"?

Same thing, doesn't call for gun control, calls for a reality check for that moron.

• 3 weeks later...

From an associated press story

quote:

TRENTON, N.J. (Dec. 23) - New Jersey on Monday became the first state to enact ''smart gun'' legislation that would eventually require new handguns to contain a mechanism that allows only their owners to fire them.

[snip some]

The owner would have his or her grip programmed at a gun shop or police range by practice-firing the weapon. A microchip in the weapon would remember the grip and determine in an instant whether the authorized user was holding the weapon. If not, the gun would not fire.

Interesting technology. If it will work. But even if it does, how long before enough guns that use this tech get into the system for it to have any sort of impact?

I think it's a wonderful idea. At least in my opinion. It does not infringe on your right ot keep or bear arms yet still is an added measure of security. Not only would it prevent your gun being stolen and used against you it would prevent your gun from being used period if it did happen to get stolen. Or prevent children from using the weapon. It would also maintain privacy reducing the want of people to have guns registered. I'm not sold on that point but eh.

But only if the tech WORKS! That is a big if.

• 3 weeks later...