New space sim: "Drift"

Gryphon

This game HERE has shipped, or will soon. Unfortunately, beyond what you see on the page above, I can't find any other decent information or screenshots. Has anyone played this, or have any decent information about gameplay?

This game just seemed to have gone right under my radar, and I'm always on the search for space sims. I'm getting rusty in my old age

Holy crap! Okay, new space sims folks - none of these are retail, BTW, but look bloody good:

Vega Strike

I tried Vega Strike a few months ago and got lost in an asteroid field. They've since made some additions to the game - merely check the screenshots page to see some capital ship, beam weapon goodness

Wing Commander: Unknown Enemy

This is a bloody hard game, but you can't beat the price - FREE. Just go find and download WC: Secret Ops and install UE. Origin isn't making WC games anymore - let's hope these guys keep it up. I'd frankly like to find out what happens after the WC:Prophecy era.

Wing Commander: Standoff

No download available for this yet, but it's similar to Unknown Enemy - it requires WC: Secret Ops to work. And from the looks of it, whoever is doing their textures is far more practiced

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

EDIT: Cleaning up my spellink

[ 01-01-2003, 01:46 PM: Message edited by: Gryphon ]

boy vega strike has come far. im sure it surpassed its creators expectations. i remember downloading it about 4 or 5 years ago, its 2003 so probably 6 years ago. that was when it was just a wing commander clone designed to fly wc ships etc...no plans for what it is now. but it certainly does look cool.

i knew buying wing commander gold was a good idea. even tho disc 2 never worked. i have secret ops ill try these links.

[ 01-01-2003, 10:52 PM: Message edited by: Cruis.In ]

Hey Cruisin, were you ever involved in the Wing Commander RPG by any chance? Because that's when I first tried vega strike too - it was a pretty blah wing commander clone featuring, as I recall, just Rapiers

Wing Commander Freespace mod

Also guys, I found this recently - it's a mod for Freespace based on Wing Commander. Looks interesting

i never tried the rpg, not much into them.

except for exceptional ones. final fantasy series, zelda...

i might try the freespace. hook this laptop up to my monitor and use the joystick, give ol' freespace a whirl wing commander style. i havent yet tried those mods , and i have not yet downloaded the latest greatest vega strike, im anxious to see how far its come, because as i said he didnt originally start out with this grand idea.

i also see on the site that a release due out january has all new great detail models.

I figure I should do my part and chip in here. This is game where you explore the galaxy at your whim. There is no fighting however ( Though the ship you're in is suposed to have a laser powerful enough to destroy entire planets) I think this game is really cool because the way the computer works. You'll just have to check it out, it is really cool. If you find unnamed stars you can actually go and name them anything you want then send your file to the people that made the Sim and they will update their core files for other people to download. In this way you can make your mark on the galaxy (You can beam down to planets and explore them on foot, though the graphics aren't all that good. You can also see all kinds of stars and black holes and other stuff. REALLY neat) Any how, here is the link. This is a diffrent one I found while looking for the first one, it's cooler (this one isn't what I was looking for but it looks even cooler and more realistic. I'm going to have to get this one for myself!) I can't FIND the other one, I don't even remember what it was called. This one will have ta do for ya folks sorry.