AC130 gunship strike in Afghanistan

Supreme Cmdr

Guest Remo Williams

They know their jobs well! Saddam is crazy to think he can win. It's just to bad we didn't do it in 91. It was a big mistake to leave him in power IMO. Now we have to go back and clean up the mess.

This video has been out for a while and it deffinatly shows the power of an orbital gun platform but... The gunning down of single individuals is a bit much (note the small white dot starting at 3:38 and again at 6:17, the howitzer hits, and then the white dot exploding in all directions) While the strike is valid, the gunning down of defenseless individuals in unacceptable (by a howitzer no less).

Pay attention to the voice chatter during the second segment as well, very revealing.

Guest Remo Williams

quote:

Originally posted by IceCold:

This video has been out for a while and it deffinatly shows the power of an orbital gun platform but... The gunning down of single individuals is a bit much (note the small white dot starting at 3:38 and again at 6:17, the howitzer hits, and then the white dot exploding in all directions) While the strike is valid, the gunning down of defenseless individuals in unacceptable (by a howitzer no less).

Pay attention to the voice chatter during the second segment as well, very revealing.

So your saying we should have let the combatants run a way? That way they could shoot at our ground forces later. Not a very good idea! Its war it doesn't matter how you kill the enemy with a side arm or a howitzer. They got the job they were sent to do done. Which in war if you remember is to kill the enemy by any means possible.

quote:

All tactical targets were destroyed by 6:10

There was no threat to the aircraft, there never was.

Afraid not the last tactical target was destroyed when the last combatant hit the ground in chunks. Every body that was there was a threat to our ground forces.

Ever heard of the Geneva convention? How about honor in combat? Going after individual soldiers with a howitzer is excessive not to mention brutal. How about that mosque? Why did they level that? This video was not released to show the power of the gunship, rather, the brutality of its crew.

Guest Remo Williams

quote:

Ever heard of the Geneva convention?

Did you see them surrendering I didn't! So it violates the Geneva convention to shot armed combatants on the battle field.

quote:

Going after individual soldiers with a howitzer is excessive not to mention brutal.

Give me a break its War!! What were they suppose to do throw daisys at them or invite them home for dinner and a beer. So you would have just let them run off so we could fight them later?

quote:

How about that mosque? Why did they level that?

Well lets see... do you remember seeing a combatant run into the mosque? Probably not must of been a worshiper going in to pray.

quote:

This video was not released to show the power of the gunship, rather, the brutality of its crew.

Yeah right wars brutal they did the job the were suppose to. IMO they deserve metals for performing their duties flawlessly.

I agree with Remo on this.

In war it's either shoot first or die..

and I would rather prefer to shoot the enemie first before he can shoot me.

War is brutal, we see evidence of that in BLACK HAWK DOWN.. and don't you tell me that, that was just added FX, cause thats true.. and what you saw in that movie was true and real life.

War is not about love! its about killing *Saddly*

In war it doesn't matter if you kill someone with a pistol, or a big ass gun! as long as they do there job, and do it well!

Personaly im proud of our AC130 crew's... they did there job! they did what they where ordered to! and they deserve more respect than what your giving them Icecold!

quote:

By remo:

Did you see them surrendering I didn't! So it violates the Geneva Convention to shot armed combatants on the battle field.

Perhaps running in terror is an established combat practice. Were they armed? Look real close. The point is, this crew mercilessly hunted down defenseless individuals with no chance of resisting or evading the oncoming hail of fire. He ran into the mosque because he thought it was safe. Is a civilian structure instantly military when a government official enters it? In that case, the twin towers would have been a military target due to the FBI officers inside!!! If we as a country proclaim to be the enlightened people we are; how can we descend into barbaric practices?

Does the military deserve our respect? For the most part, yes, but not when they pull stunts like this. When a legitimate military operation descends into murder.

I will use another example from the country's glorious military past:

February, 1945

Dresden was a German city in the east side of the country. Allied bomber command thought it would be a good idea to send a message to the advancing Russians and planned a four stage plan to attack the city.

Stage 1: A bomber wing would fly over the city and drop high explosive bombs to shatter the old buildings and expose dry wood. Meanwhile the population would move to bomb shelters to weather the attack.

Stage 2: Directly behind the first wave, a 2nd wave of bombers would drop incendiary bombs on the exposed city. The ensuing bombardment created the first man made firestorm in history and baked the civilians alive in their bomb shelters.

Stage 3: Precisely timed to strike when rescue workers were out trying to fight the blaze, a third wave of bombers dropped high explosive bombs on their unsheltered heads decimating the surviving population.

Stage 4: Yet another incendiary attack, firestorm worsens.

Stage 5 (contested): The surviving population of Dresden recalls a P-51 fighter squadron coming down and strafing the survivors in the morning.

There were no charges filed against the commanders, the city had no strategic importance and BTW there was a group of allied POWs who were in the city rail yard who miraculously survived.

Moral of the story, war is no excuse to relinquish our humanity and become cold blooded murders.

"thou shall not murder," where do you draw the line?

Back on topic.

The hunting and killing of that individual was completely justified. When they engaged the target they engaged ALL personel, vehicles, etc. read the standard R.O.E. for the US military. Once you engage, you do NOT disengage until you are given the order or all targets are neutralized (surrendered or D.O.A.).

quote:

Don't beleive me about the raids?

Don't even try to justify this one.

Manchester bombing by the germans

couldn't find better page about it :/

But I saw once on TV a small video of the bombing of dresden, video cap from one of the bombers, the whole city was lit up with flashes and explosions! Considering each lancaster can carry up to 18,000lb of bombs (extreme maximum), 1,000 of them releasing it all nearly all at once are scary fireworks.

They did not shoot the mosque. At the start of the clip the mosque was labeled as the RECTANGULAR building. They were ordered to level the big SQUARE building, which they did. In Fact the only smart guy of that whole group on the ground ran INTO the mosque. And if you listen to the dialogue you distinctly hear them say "Watch that mosque." and not long after, "He went into the mosque." After that they pan away and are given orders to level that big square building which they do. The mosque was unharmed in that clip.

quote:

(note the small white dot starting at 3:38 and again at 6:17, the howitzer hits, and then the white dot exploding in all directions)

that was a small group of people. they where hit and flew into all directions. the comm chatter also tells you that.

IMO they did a good job of following orders and hit the appropriate targets(like Eclipse said the RECTANGULAR building was the mosque and it was the big square building they leveled).

Guest Remo Williams

quote:

(like Eclipse said the RECTANGULAR building was the mosque and it was the big square building they leveled).

Oops, me bad! Oh well one got away then.

• 6 months later...

Well, I guess now you guys know (partially) where "Uncle Rattler" has been. I make no secret of what I work on. Those very aircraft that you are discussing now is what I support. Keep watching those video's gents. That gunship would never fire at a ground target without first having it identified as hostile by ground observers and then given the order to neutralize the threat. Plain and simple, they don't come out of the protection of darkness without being ordered to do so. "Nuff Said"