AC130 gunship strike in Afghanistan

Supreme Cmdr

Guest Grayfox

quote:

That gunship would never fire at a ground target without first having it identified as hostile by ground observers and then given the order to neutralize the threat. Plain and simple, they don't come out of the protection of darkness without being ordered to do so. "Nuff Said"

you are absoloutely right rattler.

see the thing is though that the average joe who posts nonsense has absoloutely NO military experience... or if they did, they were pushing supplies instead of being in a combat arm. they just spout off about crap they know nothing about.

keep up the good work rattler. puff saved my arse on an occasion or 2

Guest Remo Williams

I stand behind our men and women in the armed force 110%. You are all heros in my book both former and current. My grand father was a paratrooper in Europe during WWII and theres been a member of my family ready to serve in every conflict we have been involved in right up to our current one. Right now I have two cousins in the navy and I have no doubt that their performing their duties flawlessly.

quote:

Originally posted by Kasey Chang:

Didn't I read somewhere that Spectres need a "big finale" to attract the eyes of enemy defenders while it makes its exit? Or does that only apply when attacking serious defenses?

Kasey, I can't get too specific of the opperational tactics of the AC-130 Gunship, so bear with me as I tip-toe around this. The "Gunship" does not need a "big finale" so that it may make it's exit. It is too big and slow to make a hasty exit. Therefore, it shall never be intentionally called in to an AO where significant threat exists to the Gunship itself. It is designed to engage and neutralize ground forces and their support craft (Tanks, Armored Vehicles, Field Pieces, etc;). If there is a significant threat in the area (Ground to Air or Air to Air) those threats are normally neutralized prior to Spectre's arrival on the scene. Once there, Spectre will engage any and all targets which have positively been declared as hostile and will not break off such engagement until all have been neutralized, or when all onboard munitions have been expended. Once either of the above conditions has been achieved, it will simply turn away and lumber off into the night. It will come from the dark, operate in the dark, and leave with the darkness. You will NEVER see it flying missions in daylight hours. If you do see one flying, it's going somewhere else, and not operating. Simply transiting the airspace above you. I hope I have helped with this topic. BTW, Spectre and all it's predecessors, as well as any future generations of this aircraft belong to the Airforce, Spec Ops Command, although they support ALL branches of the service. They can even sink small ships, as evidenced in this last engagement in Iraq.

"Nuff Said!"

As One of the respondents said, thats why they call it WAR! Once a target has been designated hostile the crew in ANY asset will act and act swiftly. They do not have the luxury of hindsight.

They do not choose to go and engage the enemy, it is thier DUTY to do so. This is why a lot of our professional soldiers are less apt to jump into a war than the fatcat politicians that send them in. They know what our weapons can do to a human body, but once engaged they will do thier jobs.

On a side note that is precisely why I laugh, when I hear the militia types who horde hunting rifles and semi automatics to "protect" themselves from our gov't. If they saw half the shit I 've seen in advanced NBC training they'd trade those small arms in for a deal on a good cemetary plot.

quote:

Originally posted by Race Bannon IV:

As One of the respondents said, thats why they call it WAR! Once a target has been designated hostile the crew in ANY asset will act and act swiftly. They do not have the luxury of hindsight.

They do not choose to go and engage the enemy, it is thier DUTY to do so. This is why a lot of our professional soldiers are less apt to jump into a war than the fatcat politicians that send them in. They know what our weapons can do to a human body, but once engaged they will do thier jobs.

On a side note that is precisely why I laugh, when I hear the militia types who horde hunting rifles and semi automatics to "protect" themselves from our gov't. If they saw half the shit I 've seen in advanced NBC training they'd trade those small arms in for a deal on a good cemetary plot.

Well Said, Sir!