defective Playstation 2's?

d8alus

Have any of you had problems with your PS2 reading game discs after a few months to a year? (assuming you own one) I know of 4 people, including myself, who have this problem and eventually the systems quit reading discs altogether. We all got our systems at about the same time (within a few weeks of each other). Yet both my dad's and bro's system works fine. If there are more than just the four of us experiencing this problem, I'm thinking of trying to get a class-action filed against sony. I don't think I should have to pay 100 dollars for them to make their system work the way it should have to begin with when I already paid 300 to get it in the first place!

quote:

Originally posted by Enigma:

if you got one of the first ones then yeah its a known to go bad

Which means you can't do a thing about it except turn it in and hope they repair it

Well, I found out there's already a class-action against them, so I added my problem to the list.. The reason I'd sue, is to try to get them to fix it for free. There is absolutely NO reason I should have to pay extra to make my system work on the same level as, say, my brother's system.

quote:

Originally posted by Kiran:

Have any of you had problems with your PS2 reading game discs after a few months to a year? (assuming you own one) I know of 4 people, including myself, who have this problem and eventually the systems quit reading discs altogether. We all got our systems at about the same time (within a few weeks of each other). Yet both my dad's and bro's system works fine. If there are more than just the four of us experiencing this problem, I'm thinking of trying to get a class-action filed against sony. I don't think I should have to pay 100 dollars for them to make their system work the way it should have to begin with when I already paid 300 to get it in the first place!

Does anyone in your household smoke?

Have you tried a laser disk cleaner?

I've more or less dropped my couple year old PS2 a ton of times since I've gotten it, and it still works like a charm.

My cousin's PS2 however, got a little jostled when my other cousin was running and tripped over the controller cable, and it crashes once in a while during certain games. (Even with a perfectly clean disk. At first I thought our disks were faulty, so I exchanged my new copy of Vice City to test, and it still had crashing problems.)

A friend of mine had a similar problem. The cleaning disk wouldn't work. There is some way to open the ps2 to get to the drive directly. (This voids your warranty). After opening it up and cleaning it thouroghly with compressed air it worked okay again. I would check all those sites that till you how to open it to mod-chip it and try that. If you have to buy a new one anyway you might as well try this first.

I'm an XBox guy myself but I had the same problem with the original playstation. the first time I shipped it off to be repaired and after nearly two months it came back and worked for nearly six months. I replaced it by buying a new one which had by then gotten smaller(improved electronics)

which lasted about 8 months. It refused to load any games and off it went back to sony. It is okay now but I've had the XBox and don't play it even though I have about fifty titles for PSOne.

I didnt even consider buying a PS2 when they came out but that's just me.

I've never had a problem with any system i own... My PS1 which ive had for years still works, my PS2 works, my Nintendo, SNES, Sega Genesis, N64 all still work. Heck, my Turbo Grafix 16 still works w/o a hitch. Guess im lucky. However, a firend of mine, his PS1 stoped working... But he found a way pass that. When he put a game in, he turned his PS1 upside down, and worked fine.

Canned air, with the little tube thing, to the drive, should work.

There's also been reports of some trouble with the drive laser voltage, which some people have found ways to fix.

If you have some trouble, check some of the FAQs at GameFAQs, which have some pretty sw00t home-made remedies and DIY troubleshooting steps for the PS2.

I'd never personally do that to my own system, but I mean, if you guys are desperate, I'd take it apart and fiddle with the voltages, laser, and odds-and-ends and such.

My goodness, Race and I agree on something!!

I love the Xbox, borrowed a friends for a while, and am getting one for myself in 2 weeks.

Mechassault and Halo ROCK!!!

Oh, and if you get a chance to play Burnout, now that's a fun racing game!!

Besides the fact of SC's next project, be prepared, that's my motto, oh, no it's not, that's the Boy Scouts, never mind...

I am in a strange mood today, don't worry about me, I'll go have a smoke and I'll be fine...