Fantasy book recomendations

Jigoku San

I need a new fantasy book or series.

so you know what I've already read (in hte fatasy genre at least) i got a list.

-The Hobbit and LotR (of course )

-The Abhorsen Trlogy by Garth Nix

(Sabriel, Lirael, Abhorsen)

-The core book of Dragonlance by Marget Weis and Tracy Hickman from Rastlin Cronicles to War of the Souls Tri.

-Death Gate Cycle by Weis & Hickman

-Valorian's Children (Dark Horse, Lightning's Daughter) by Mary H. Herbert

-Sovereign Stone Trilogy by Weis and Hickman

Well thats all that I have at home.. there might be more I've read but I can't remeber them... so I would like some recomendations they don't have to be is the same vein as the ones above or they could, which ever... I just want something new and good to read.

Early Pern Series by Anne McCaffery is good.

http://www.randomhouse.com/delrey/pern/pern/series/

Raymond E. Feist is good. The Riftwar Saga.

I used to enjoy the M.Y.T.H. series of books. Quite humorous.

Terry Pratchett has some good funny stuff too.

David Eddings Belgariad is good.

Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time is good but some are complaining he's taking too long. Book Ten is out right now.

The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever, and the Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever are very good...(though the hero is more of an 'anti-hero', he has leperousy). The first trilogy of this series are the only books I've read that compare to Tolkien's...even beating it in many respects.

The Dragonriders of Pern series mentioned above are one of the best Science Fiction series, as well. (They seem like Fantasy, but they're really Sci Fi about a 'lost colony' if you will).

If you want something REALLY different, look for the 'World West of Eden' series by Harry Harrison. The premise of this story is '65 million years ago, an asteroid collided with Earth and wiped out the dinosaurs. What if this event hadn't happened?'. Picture mankind at the beginning of the ice age finding the warmer climate areas full of dinosaurs, including one very advanced sentient reptilian race. Primative man against scientific, sentient dinosaurs. Real good story, never read anything quite like it.

Idaho

I'll second the Thomas Covenent series. First book: Lord Foul's Bane by Stephen R. Donaldson.

Many people liked the Shannara series by Terry Brooks. The Sword of Shannara was first.

The Myth series was cute (a parody of puns). The author's (Robert Asprin) Thieve's World series was a collection of short stories by different authors set in his imaginary realm.

[ 02-04-2003, 02:26 PM: Message edited by: Steve Schacher ]

Have you read the other Tolkien books? Silmarillion, Book of Lost Tales, Book(s) of Unfinished Tales? They give a great background to LOTR and the history of Middle Earth; where Sauron came from, who he was etc. The Lost Tales also have earlier transcripts of some ot the more popular Silmarillion stories such as the story of Turin Turambar and the tale of Beren and Luthien.

Did you know Aragorn and Arwen are related and that Arwen is Galadriel's granddaughter (as well as being her 5th cousin)? Read the Silmarillion and you'll find out how.

What not try out the following authors:-

1. Raymond E. Feist;

2. Guy Gavriel Kay;

3. Michael A. Stackpole;

4. David Eddings;

5. David Weber;

6. R. A. Salvatore;

7. Terry Pratchett;

The books I would really recommend:-

1. Raymond E. Feist's Riftwar Trilogy;

2. Raymond E. Feist & Janny Wurts's Kelewan Trilogy;

3. Guy Gavriel Kay's Tigana, A Song For Arbonne and The Lions of Al-Rassan;

4. Michael A. Stackpole's Talion: Revenant;

4. David Weber's Bahzell Bahnakson series;

5. R. A. Salvatore's Icewind Dale Trilogy, Drow Elf Trilogy and accompanying books.

DEATH GATE by M.Weiss and T. Hickman.

Best fantasy trilogy ive ever read.

It has so LITTLE of the usual "fantasy" cliche's (you know, elves are like this, dwarves like that, etc) and is so well written its a shame there no more books written about it.. the back-historyof the story is as grand as the story being told

quote:

Originally posted by Paddy Gregory:

Have you read the other Tolkien books? Silmarillion, Book of Lost Tales, Book(s) of Unfinished Tales?

Did you know Aragorn and Arwen are related and that Arwen is Galadriel's granddaughter (as well as being her 5th cousin)? Read the Silmarillion and you'll find out how.

I'll second the other Tolkien books. Especially the Silmarillion, which, though a tough read, is probably my favorite Tolkien book.

And thanks for that info on Galadriel. I knew Arwen was related to her, for some reason my mind was stuck thinking Arwen was her daughter. Well, it HAS been nearly 20 years since I read it.

Idaho

My girlfriend is a real Fantasy fan as well.

I've found that I enjoy both, but I tend to lean more towards more science fiction.

I've started reading more of Gordon Dickson's Childe Cycle. It's pretty hard to find the books though, soon I'll have to look on Amazon for the one's I don't have.

Cheers!

I would suggest:

1. Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan (Don't read all ten in a row, it will drive you batty!)

2. Song of Ice and Fire by George Martin. (Like the Wheel of Time but on amphetimines)

3. Fortress series by CJ Cherryh

4. The first three Shannarra books by Terry Brooks

5. Anything by JRR tolkien

6. Various liscensed products:

a. Dragonlance by Weiss and Hickman

b. Forgotten Realms novels (Drizzt Do'urden and friends) by RA Salvatore.

7. Dudes who should pay the Tolkien estate royalties:

a. Riftwar novels by Raymond Feist

b. Anything by Dennis Mckiernan.

c. Arguably Terry Brooks, Weiss and Hickman, Salvatore novels essentialy any Dungeons and Dragons setting.

8. Black Company series by Glen Cook, hard to find but griity and dark.

[ 02-03-2003, 12:38 PM: Message edited by: HiPingScoba ]

quote:

Originally posted by Duncan Idaho:

quote:

Originally posted by Paddy Gregory:

Have you read the other Tolkien books? Silmarillion, Book of Lost Tales, Book(s) of Unfinished Tales?

I'll second the other Tolkien books. Especially the Silmarillion, which, though a tough read, is probably my favorite Tolkien book.

And thanks for that info on Galadriel. I knew Arwen was related to her, for some reason my mind was stuck thinking Arwen was her daughter. Well, it HAS been nearly 20 years since I read it.

Idaho

I believe if you look at hte genealogies in Return of the King, you can trace the Kings of Gondor, including Strider/Aragorn to a common ancestor with Arwen and Elrond, I think thorugh the Beren/Luthien line.

[ 02-03-2003, 12:53 PM: Message edited by: HiPingScoba ]

ooo lots of different one to look for. I was usualy geared more twords SciFi, A few books here and there but really filling out my Star Wars Expanded universe collection. Some of the newer "New Jedi Order" books where a disaponitment so Star Wars has kinda drawn down. So I've been rereading lot even picked up Battlefield Earth for the second time. (thought I lost that one )

Now I have some stuff to look for at Barnes and Noble, when I do go.

Not at all fantasy , Patternmaster and Wild Seed

are very well written sci-fi novels by Octavia Butler. She mixes history , myth and fantastic elements in an engaging style and I can almost see some anime like themes in her stories(normal people who have unlocked superpowers with the fate of the world in the balance)check them out.

William Morris (1834-1894) arguably created the genre. Try his books " The Sundering Flood", "The Well at the World's End" and "The Wood Beyond the World" if you can find them. Also E R Edison's "The Worm Ouroborus" is well worth the effort, but I personally found his Zimiamvian trilogy "A Fish Dinner in Memison", "Mistress of Mistresses" and "The Mezentian Gate" hard work - a bit like Wolferz's view of "The Silmarilion". William Hope Hodgeson is also worth a look for early horror - try "The Boats of The Glen Garrig" or "The Ghost Pirates" for fairly simple ghost stories, or "The House on the Borderland" and "The Night Land" for something a bit more in the H P Lovecraft style.

What you might find interesting is the Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman. Although probably aimed at a younger audience, they are excellent Fantasy books and well worth a read. Hell I enjoyed them a lot and I'm an old fat knacker

George R. R. Martin - excellent series best out there right now. The Best I have read since the first three books of the wheel of time by Jordan. Maybe will run second to Tolkein when he is done as one of my favourites.

Another excellent one on the rise right now is Steven Erickson's - Tales of the Malazan Book of the Fallen, very very good. (Gardens of the Moon, Deadhouse Gates, Memories of Ice) Runs a close second to Martin.

I just finished Jordan's latest. I was very very disappointed.

Terry Goodkind is solid.

David Farland has some innovative ideas.

Tad Williams - Memory, Sorrow and Thorn was an exceptional series.

Feist's first run( three books) was awesome (Riftwar Saga).

Lots out there , Enjoy.

Cheers

Did you ever pick anything up Jigoku? I have all six books of Stephen R. Donaldson's "The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever". I could send them to you. I didn't like them much.

Why do I have all six if I didn't like them? I was young and stubborn and wanted to see how they turned out.

The first is the 23rd printing in Dec 1984.