Nato rift deepens over Iraq

Fractux

If you go back and reread my last post on the State Of The Union thread, you will see that the French and British have been sparring for centuries. The Statue of Liberty was given to the USA at a time when the French were still glowing in the bask of their former glory days, and before the USA emerged as a dominant world player.

The NATO rift is really about France and England (again). It is France's last grab to be relevent in the EU by undermining the rise of Tony Blair.

Here's a column that lays it all out pretty nicely: It's not really about Saddam.

An excerpt:

quote:

To the French, something very astonishing has happened: "Europe" was supposed to be France writ large, a "union" built in France's image. To that end, they took it for granted that the entire Continent would inevitably come to be as semi-detached from NATO as the French have been since 1966. To M. Chirac, Tony Blair is the odd man out, with his strange Anglo-Saxon hang-ups about the transatlantic alliance. But, as has become obvious, to the Czechs, Poles, Bulgars, Romanians and everybody else, it's Chirac who's the misfit.

What to do about this appalling l├¿se-majest├®?

Answer: Get rid of Blair.

It's a long, but well-written piece. I highly recommend reading it.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, I've got the entire military history of France right here:

quote:

COMPLETE MILITARY HISTORY OF FRANCE

Gallic Wars - Lost. In a war whose ending foreshadows the next 2000 years of

French history, France is conquered by of all things, an Italian.

Hundred Years War - Mostly lost, saved at last by female schizophrenic who

inadvertently creates The First Rule of French Warfare; "France's armies are

victorious only when not led by a Frenchman."

Italian Wars - Lost. France becomes the first and only country to ever lose two wars when fighting Italians.

Wars of Religion - France goes 0-5-4 against the Huguenots.

Thirty Years War - France is technically not a participant, but manages

toget invaded anyway. Claims a tie on the basis that eventually the other participants started ignoring her.

War of Devolution - Tied. Frenchmen take to wearing red flowerpots as chapeaux.

The Dutch War - Tied.

War of the Augsburg League/King William's War/French and Indian War -Lost,

but claimed as a tie. Three ties in a row induces deluded Frogophiles the world over to label the period as the height of French military power.

War of the Spanish Succession - Lost. The War also gave the French their

first taste of a Marlborough, which they have loved ever since.

American Revolution - In a move that will become quite familiar to future Americans, France claims a win even though the English colonists saw far more action. This is later known as "de Gaulle Syndrome", and leads to the Second Rule of French Warfare; "France only wins when America does most of the fighting."

French Revolution - Won, primarily due the fact that the opponent was also French.

The Napoleonic Wars - Lost. Temporary victories (remember the First Rule!) due to leadership of a Corsican, who ended up being no match for a British footwear designer.

The Franco-Prussian War - Lost. Germany first plays the role of drunk Frat boy to France's ugly girl home alone on a Saturday night.

World War I - Tied and on the way to losing, France is saved by the United States. Thousands of French women find out what it's like to not only sleep with a winner, but one who doesn't call her "Fraulein." Sadly, widespread use of condoms by American forces forestalls any improvement in the French bloodline.

World War II - Lost. Conquered French liberated by the United States and Britain just as they finish learning the Horst Wessel Song.

War in Indochina - Lost. French forces plead sickness, take to bed with the Dien Bien Flu.

Algerian Rebellion - Lost. Loss marks the first defeat of a western army by

a Non-Turkic Muslim force since the Crusades, and produces the First Rule of

Muslim Warfare; "We can always beat the French." This rule is identical to

the First Rules of the Italians, Russians, Germans, English, Dutch, Spanish,

Vietnamese and Esquimaux.

War on Terrorism - France, keeping in mind its recent history,surrenders to Germans and Muslims just to be safe. Attempts to surrender to Vietnamese

ambassador fail after he takes refuge in a McDonald's.

Should I be ashamed to say that is the funniest thing I've seen in two weeks? The condom line alone caused a spit take worthy of the Milton Berle show as I was drinking coffee while I read it. Oh those wacky French! They are the unifying force we all need on this forum. Conservative , Liberal , whoever we always have the French to kick around when we need a laugh. What was that old ryhme? " The French the French a funny race , they fight with thier feet and .... oh I cant rememeber the rest , somone help me out.

quote:

Originally posted by Cmdr Chavik:

quote:

Rm

Hmm... so does that mean that i can indulge in some Dubya-bashing due to his shortcomings in the brain department?

Ummmmmmmmm, nope.

Waaaaaaa!! No fair!

hehehehe... worth a try though, right?

quote:

Saddam Hussein has steadfastly refused to abide by more than 17 demands by the United Nations that he divest himself of weapons of mass destruction. He has refused  but its all about oil.

There are more than 100 U.N. Security Council resolutions being violated by member states. Iraq is in violation of, at most, 16 of them. Ironically, Washington has effectively blocked the enforcement of U.N. Security Council resolutions against many other nations, since the list include such countries as Morocco, Indonesia, Israel and Turkey that are allied with the United States.

quote:

Saddam Hussein has used chemical and biological weapons against his own people  but its all about oil

When have the Kurds (those gassed) been anyoneÔÇÖs "people" they want their independence but that "different"....

quote:

Saddam says he has no nuclear weapons program. Inspectors find over 3000 pages of documentary evidence to the contrary  but its all about oil

Israel has over 200 nuclear weapons but it's all about "peace".

quote:

Saddam says his missiles canÔÇÖt fly more than the allowed 150 miles

See above...imagine that....or you could look at India who is right around the corner.

quote:

The UN inspectors were sent to Iraq not to find weapons, but to verify that Saddam had disarmed. Hans Blix says that they have not disarmed  but its all about oil.

Hans Blix says that Saddam Hussein has not accepted the fact that he must disarm. But itÔÇÖs all about oil.

Crap...admin position was unfettered access...please...

quote:

The United States has an energy policy. All major industrial nations have energy policies. But the fact that the US has an energy policy means  its all about oil

Non-issue....until you look at the Cheney report and realize the sky rocketing demand for oil in the US by 2020.

quote:

Dick Cheney used to work for Halliburton. Halliburton is an energy company. This proves itÔÇÖs all about oil

With Cheney in the CEO's seat, Halliburton helped Iraq reconstruct its war-torn oil industry with $73 million worth of equipment and services -- becoming Baghdad's biggest such supplier.

Oil and gas companies donated $26.7 million to Bush and his fellow Republicans during the 2000 election and another $18 million in 2002.

Halliburton has the contract on supplying US soldiers with many necessities. After "liberation" many debunked Iraqi oil fields need to be "fixed". Guess whose primary business is fixing oil fields....

The Bush administration has a position firmly planted upon sh*t. Those who look critically will find the truth. Some Americans are not scared, like "their" media tells them to be....we stand tall.....with all the evidence. The patriots have made the right call....no war for Cheney.no war for oil.no client stateshonesty *is* the best policy.