Online banking for checking account

Charles Lindsey

Anyone done it? Anyone like it? Hate it?

I opened an online account this week. I have yet to get my password and check card so I don't know how it goes yet. I do know you are severely limited to the amount of "assisted" (at a teller) transactions you can make. I have yet to figure out if you can order checks. It seems like it since I got a book of unmarked paper checks. But hardly anyone takes those.

I'm dissappointed my company won't allow me to split my direct depsoits so I can keep my established account monthly fee free. But eh, if the online thing goes well I can close the old one.

Guest Remo Williams

I don't know which banking service your using, but their probably pretty much all the same I imagine. I use BofA online and its pretty cool to get a visual listing of your account transaction directly from the bank. It sure beats the automated phone system for checking your account. No more press 2 for your next five transactions, LOL! Plus it saves you having to write out checks for stuff like utilities. You can pay them online if you like. I like it anyway.

I use online banking quite a bit in the past for my personal account. And now blazing on we are moving the company account to the same bank as our personal account so I can manage both online.

I think its great as I have never met a bank person that agreed with me(most of them are ignorant insulting *********) so I love been able to handle all my finances online esp now I can pay wages and stuff online aswell. (especially as I spend a large portion of my day in front of a pc anyway!)

Heheh, ATM junkie...I like that one.

Fits me as well. I haven't actually entered my bank in...7 months? Maybe more?

I also love online banking. I get no 'paper' bills anymore, all switched over to Email.

My only worry there is; what happens when one of these fools actually do manage to shut down the Net with some kind of attack? If I don't get my 'bill', what then? How can I pay if the Net is down? Guess I'll find out if someone does manage to knock out the Net.

Idaho

Thank you all for your replies.

I got my "Visa" ATM check card today and my first 100 checks. So apparently I do get paper checks to use as normal. Gosh I'm so naive sometimes it's scary (and embarrassing). Now I just have to wait for my direct deposit to transfer over.

Remo: As you can see I'm in or near Birmingham Alabama so I have Regions, Compass, Southtrust, and Citibank available to me. Perhaps a couple of small local banks and maybe a couple of national banks but I don't see their offices where I frequent. But I do agree with you that they seem to be basically the same.

Emmett: I agree with you. I usually don't do anything fancy with my account. It's either a deposit or a mortgage payment. However, when I was setting up this account I inquired about the allowance of draft from the account. She insisted that was "Bill Pay" with a $5.95 charge per month. I'm so sorry but "Bill Pay" is where you tell THE BANK to pay certain bills as outlined in the info on the bank's website. Drafts are where you give permission to the charging company (power bill, etc.) to draft from your account.

It concerned me greatly that they might twist the definition of "Bill Pay" to mean any online transaction and try to charge me that monthly service charge.

However I have a friend who loves online payments. She prefers the sites with cookies that will remember your info and automatically make the draft. She is less enthusiastic about sites where she has to input the routing number and account number and all that stuff but she does it. She insists she has never run into a service charge for what I consider bank drafts.

So I agree with you Emmett. The teller had no idea what I was talking about.

Echo: Dearheart; as I pointed out to Remo I'm down south. It takes a while for "good things" to filter down here.

Thanks again to all.

I've been using online banking for a couple of years now and I'm very happy with it. I use it for all bills, transfers and account checking. I tried to get some cash out, but I think it got stuck in my floppy drive.