EA development at IGN

Forever Light

Another IGN article today I couldnt resist but to share and comment about.

Have to admit my attitude on EA is less than satisfactory ever since they took Renegade and made a feeble attempt at making the gaming audience do the work for them by securing the rights to "mods". Basically took the initial title and boiled it down to basic deathmatch with vehicles when the entire idea of having C&C in first person was just that...C&C in first person. (anyone who played original C&C and redalert know what I mean) If the community wanted to play Tribes they could have done so...just not use jetpacks. That and they axed a ton of cool ideas in E&B. (I was in beta4 -> release) which ended up making it everquest in space. So in light of past efforts to squeeze every last drop of cash out of their audience this lastest news doesnt suprise me. Basically I wish EA would have stuck to sports and left the other gaming companies out there alone.

Monopolistic money mongerers

/rant off

P.S. on a side note BF1942 turned out well despite their involvement...just who knows what it could have been without them being present.

Pffft my ass.

I was born a consoler, so most of you wouldn't understand.

I like being able to import crap to the sequel games. It's something you almost NEVER find in the console industry.

The Madden games have had a good history in the past few years of being the BEST console pro football games, anyway.

If I wanted my frickin goodies, I still have my gameshark.

I like the idea. Holy crap, do you people even realize that you can't import files from 989's NFL Gameday 2002 to NFL Gameday 2003? (OMG REALLY?) You can only import files between the college and pro sports versions in a couple of titles right now, as well.

These are only incentives to already good games. (EA Sports is the norm right now.) Frankly, I like it, but it's not gonna make me want to buy it more. I already want Live 2004 and Madden. (I already own the 2k3 versions of each.)

Don't gripe about mainly console-based games if you're not a consoler. There's more to be *****ing about.

(EA didn't "own" Westwood until a bit down the line of Renegade development, IIRC. I hate them for closing Westwood, but I like what they've been doing with Maxis. I've been a Maxis fan since around Sim City 2000. EA still is a good company in my book. It's Sierra that's lost it's touch.)

Ya EA and console titles have always got along well but its their barging into PC titles and milkin em for a buck is what turned me off about EA. The EA intervention into Renegade developement is why it took Westwood over twice as long to complete the title. I remember reading about it and seeing shots of it before EA had anything to do with Westwood. Gamers and developers both had visions of building bases, huge maps, dynamic player controlled base technology and defense development...basically just like C&C but only in first person. It only seems to compare to us BC fans like the Take 2 issue way back when. (huge differences of course..but the attitude of the publisher remains the same) The article itself sounds like a good idea with a thinly veiled intention to "gather their chicks under their wings". If they can manage to get their sports player base to commit to an online profile they wont be able to leave so easy for anything else. And THAT is their goal im sure of it. For EA it has always been about the $. Everything else in their book is expendable. Which is why Renegade's awesome potential came out squarely packaged, pickled, and "ready" for distribution. Even the best gaming morticians (modders) have hardly a corpse to put together....and as a result...they havent. (which was something EA was counting on)

Guest Remo Williams

quote:

I already want Live 2004 and Madden. (I already own the 2k3 versions of each.)

I use to love playing madden football! Last one I bought was madden 92. Haven't touched a console since. I probably won't ever again either. Consoles just can't compete with todays PC in any way shape or form.

Lighten up people! Nova's right and I should know, I've been a console guy since the Odyssey. Even Babe Ruth didn't hit a homer every time at bat. EA can't be expected to pour the same resources and creative teams into every game. Besides BF1942 and MOH:Allied Assault are both great games. If memory serves correctly MOH started off as a console game.

Lets give EA a chance. Forever Light, I'm sorry your particular favorite game wasn't handled well, but it's just one title. Lets see if they have groovy new stuff after E3.

EA and creativity? Thats just it. In PC titles they arent the developers but they try to be. Call the shots from the back seat and when they dont like how fast the developer is driving they leap over the seat and drive the car off a bridge...and then blame the disaster on the developer. Like I said BF1942 turned out alright...so perhaps they are learning their lesson. But massive companies like EA learn slowly. (I know I work for one that hardly functions logically at all) Obviously im biased...but thats beacause ive had first hand experience in watching them meddle in the creativity and development process of the real developers...which in turn hindered and cheapened the end result. (just look at the success of E&B...they are practically begging people to play)I was in on E&B beta from almost the beginning and watched it progress in leaps and bounds but it still wasnt fast enough for them. But...o well. Time goes on and monopolies rise and fall with the setting of the sun. This is just another day in the gaming world...what comes and goes when the sun goes down is what will be interesting to watch.