nVidia GeForceFX 5900 Ultra

Supreme Cmdr

In the past year, I must have seen at least 5 machines that have had problems with Nvidia cards. They end up installing drivers for PCI instead of AGP, so of course they end up working slower. Had problems with my own machines as well. I put in an ATI 9000 on one and 9100 on the other and have had absolutely no problems. The best part is that I got the 9000 for $79.00 and the 9100 for $99.00. True they're not ready for DX9, but by the time those games are out, the 9800Pro will probably be selling for about $100.00 and there will be something else that will be top of the line!

quote:

Dear Lord make it stop..

Posted by SC

Oh quit it SC you know you will end up getting your grubby little hands on one of them. Just let us poor folks running low end cards (GeForce 3Ti 128) know what we are missing

Guest fhult

quote:

Originally posted by Spindoktor:

quote:

Oh quit it SC you know you will end up getting your grubby little hands on one of them.

Maybe he means it from a developers point of view rather than a gamer.

Well, I know as a cg artist, these constant tiny improvements put a serious dent in my wallet. I have to upgrade to an entire new computer every year. It's quite annoying.

I would like to know why Nvidia feels the need to take up 2 card slots, when ATI still only takes just 1? Atleast with the dustbuster they justified the second slot, but this card seems pointless to take up an additional slot with no real benefit, and suggests to me as sloppy engineering. If the card requires 2 slots, then I'd rather have a system like the dustbuster where it is moving the heat to the outside of the case. Couldn't somebody devise a cooler that would have moved the heat outside, and be just as quiet doing it???

I actually use a slot cooler just under my Vidcard to take the additional heat of the box. If I got this card, that slot cooler would have to go. I would not have minded ditching the slot cooler for the dustbuster design if it was just as quiet, but I would not be willing to do the same without the benefit of taking the heat out of the box.

Even though I recently switched to an ATI card after about 4 years of NVIDIA action, I NEVER used the PCI slot next to the AGP slot.

In fact, they share the same interrupt and my MB manual recommends NOT using the PCI port closest to the AGP slot if the AGP slot is in use.

So I never have.

I am amazed that NVIDIA is struggling so much, if ATI's 3.4 Catalyst drivers are any good, NVIDIA may be releasing a new card this week:)

Smokin Bob

Guest Hellbinder[CE]

quote:

According to Tom's review of the FX 5900, it leaves the 9800 pro in the dust for the most part.

There are other rebviews that show otherwise. There is also a big article comming soon from Extremetech that is going to expose some significant Driver *Cheating* going on in Nvidias new drivers.

In other words.. without the hacks, which reduce IQ etc etc.. they would be slower..

But you just wait a little bit. It will either be out later today or Tomorrow.

I'm enjoying this, because two years ago, the three letters ATI sucked ass in front of the power computing community. (I've been an ATI fanboy for a while. )

I like this. No more one-sided, one-company domination of the GPU market for now. Whenever nice competition rolls around, you'll see new chips come off the block every 3 months (or less), instead of having to wait half a year or more.

And yes, there have been countless driver hacks/cheats in preview releases. And then there's the fact that some games are optimized for one company instead of the other. The real thing may live up to the hype, but not at the level expected. It looks like a close race to me.