GTA-Vice City for PC

Kevin Trotter

I have waited so patiently for this game, took off for my local retailer at luchtime to get my grubby little hands on it. Installing the game and watching the intro I see just how deep this thing is. The voice talent reads like an "A-" list theatrical feature. (Ray Liotta, Tom Sizemore, Gary Busey, Jenna Jameson {Yowza!}).

My hands sweat in anticipation, I start my game and....It locks, it freezes, the sound advances but the video is frozen, it crashes to the desk top a total of 32 times until at 3:30 this morning after updating sound and video drivers and adding DX 9.0aI give up so I can get my three hours of sleep before work. My PC gaffes are legend around here so I log on to GTA.com forums only to read about 90 posts with almost identical problems. This occurred with a myriad of rig setups. nVidia and ATI cards,

P4 and AMD processors and sound cards to numerous to name.

It is clear that if it ever gets running this game will rock so hard, but according to some of the post I read on their forum some of these same issues occurred with GTA3. I can only guess how difficult developing games can be, but it is frustrating to spend 50 bucks on a game that requires a programming degree to play properly.

I had the same problem with BC300ad but lacked the knowledge I have now and my friends on the forum handheld me till I got it right. Well I'm wiser now but still not enough to get this disaster running for more than ten minutes. A moment of silence please...to the fifty bones that just flew out my window. i knew I should have gotten that copy of "Splinter Cell"on sale for 39.99 instead.

Runs absolutely beautiful for me. No problems at all.. they actually did a better job with this port than they did with GTA3.

Although the "square headlights" problem still exists. How could they miss such an obvious graphical flaw?

Guest Grayfox

quote:

i knew I should have gotten that copy of "Splinter Cell"on sale for 39.99 instead.

lmao

the system specs on that seem pretty steep... almost the same for Raven Shield... although RS works pretty good on my current system. id stick with gettin it for the xbox.

and dont feel bad race. i blew 50$ on hitman 2 for the PC and that came out last year... i still have not gotten the damn thing to work. ive tried everything from drivers, to new dx, to the game patch....nothing. i played it on the ps2 so i know h2 rocks. thankfully for me tho, it will be coming out for the cube next month bling bling...

as for GTA... GTA3 worked just fine on my system, so i might spring the few extra bucks to try out VC

Guest Grayfox

well, i said "adios" to 50 pesos today and bought VC for the PC... i dont know what youre cryin about race... at least you can install yours. mine wouldnt even install... i kept getting this error message "please insert disk 0 for data4.cab"

first off, theres no such thing as disk 0, second, there are only 3 data.cab files on both cd's, and none of them are labeled data4.cab.

so after thanking myself for shaving my head so i cant pull any hair out, i called up gamestop where i bought it, i told them what was up, and they said i could exchange it for anything in the store... so i went ahead and pre bought hitman 2 for the cube outright

is what i encountered a fluke??? who knows... oh well.

It's no fluke, though 100 posts about a title that most have sold thousands is probably not a big deal for Rockstar. Alas, I bought my copy from Kmart who has a no return policy for games and software so I'm stuck like chuck. Maybe I can sell it on Ebay.

Guest $iLk

I still haven't had any problems with it... though I hear many people are. There is a patch out for it that fixes graphical errors (though Nvidia's latest drivers should work). I had problems with GTA3 until I read the Troubleshooting FAQ in the GTA3 directory and read that they were optimized for earlier NVidia drivers which I had to roll back to.

It's better than Enter the Matrix let me put it like that.

Try the new patch if you want, or sell it on eBay, I'm sure you can get most of your money back for it.

Guest Grayfox

they should toss in a complimentary jar o vaseline.

i feel for you race.

*implants subconcious suggestion*...splinter cell.....

Applied patch as directed and guess what? it stopped crashing to the desk top! Now I get the BSOD or a freeze neccessitating a hard reset.I know when I'm beaten. Who wants to spend hours trying to get a game so its playable when you could be playing another more stable game instead? Not me..wait I'm sensing something.."buy splinter cell...now" I must be psychic.

gr8 game!

i love driving the boats around, jumping from my boat to another, and beating them up, and then drive a bit back with my boat and blow them up

also i had no problems getting it installed and running.

cool game, nice scenery, very cool,

9/10

Guest Grayfox

gta3 works perfectly on my PC. thats what i dont get... maybe i got one of those fluke cd's...

maybe its a *gasp* omen not to buy the game???