Vietcong

Scrivener

Read about this one in Computer Games magazine and just HAD to give it a try. I'll tell you ahead of time that I have the uncensored european version, as the US version is T-rated only - minimal blood and swearing. So after playing for four straight hours yesterday, I've come to this conclusion: O-M-F-G!!!!

Not only have they succeeded at making a FANTASTIC Vietnam War-based game, but it's EASILY the most immersive and involving FPS since Half Life. The game places a very heavy emphasis on atmosphere - like OpFlashpoint there's more to do than just shoot stuff. You'll look for booby traps with your Pointman, go on trips to local villages to innoculate the villagers... and wander around camp socializing with the other men. In your bunker you read up on mission briefs, personal records, weapon profiles, or listen to Vietnam Radio... complete with Beatles music and war updates. I can't believe I've passed this one up for so long, yet another fantastic game slips quietly under the radar. The T rated version is available anywhere, I bought the Mature Euro version from www.gogamer.com.

9.5/10

I think the only real problem I had with this game was the horribly long tunnel sections - that and the fact that your invincible squad had appaling collision detection. I think the language was way OTT - but again I like that kind of realism in a war sim although for most it's probably too much. My absolute favorite FPS experience ever was defending the radio outpost in one of the latter missions. Imagine pouring rain, stranded at the top of a hill will VC and NVA running up the hill to top you - running low on ammo, scared to lean over the walls to get a shot off for fear of catching a bullet in your face - totally cool in a grim sorta way.

All in all, good game marred by crap close up AI.

8/10

Guest Grayfox

ive had this one for awhile... beat it a few weeks ago. the only thing i didnt like was the cheesey resident evil-esque dialog in the US version. shoulda got the uncensored euro version.

the music was great, especially when you come in on the slick in the beginning with "hey joe" playing in the background... very nice.

the scenery, the atmosphere, the combat, everything was just plain awesome.

9/10