Wanting advice on a new motherboard

OK, here it is.

I want to buy a new motherboard, I am going to go for an AMD XP, not sure what speed yet, but I want to know what you guys would recommend for a new motherboard.

I have everything already, video card, audio card, lan card etc, so doesn't have to have that stuff built in, but I am open to suggestions.

Looking for something that is expandable, upgradeable, for the next year or so anyway, and will do Battlecruiser without trouble of course and some of the other games I play.

So, which AMD style motherboard would be the best, ON A BUDGET for gaming?

Thanks!!

Jaguar,

I have heard many good things about the nFORCE boards--apparently the built in sound is a little better than the stuff from Creative That may or may not be the case, but the nFORCE is getting good marks, and it is not brand spanking new, so many bugs have probably been worked out.

I currently have an EPoX (in specs), and have been very happy with it. The one thing that bothers me is that VIA seems to have nothing but roadblocks thrown up in their way concerning the motherboard 4 in 1 drivers. From the KT133 fiasco, they have made huge progress in stability, and my EPoX is routinely left on for weeks at a time with only the occasional reboot for various reasons. But this is definitely going to weigh into my next upgrade decision.

I plan on upgrading my CPU and motherboard later this year (I hope I can remember how to update system specs under my signature ) and am going to look very hard at the nFORCE offerings.

Good luck with your upgrade, please post back I am interested in what you ended up with.

rvs

I have a xp2000+ running on a ECS K7S5A, it has onboard audio, lan, agp 4x, 3 slots of SDR AND 3 slots for DDR ram (one type at a time), max of 1.5gig of ram, I don't know how higher the cpu can be. I paid 87 canadian for it about 6 months ago, I saw one for 50 US on newegg by checking quick.

Considering you're on a budget I'd reccomend that mobo.

oh and it runs on the SIS 735 chipset.

Actually, I've just bought an AS7V333 myself.

I've got a friend who recommended it to me, he's never had any problems with it either. Sounds like a good deal to me. Check pricewatch for some good prices on it. (Although I'm sure you already know this)

OK, thanks Weegee, but pricewatch just gets me confused, because the model number might be there, or it might not be there.

This is the motherboard that I am looking at buying, what do you guys think?

Chaintech 7NJL1

Not only pretty, looks pretty expandable, and has the Nvidia chipset. And it it relatively cheap.

I always had Chaintech boards in the past they where always solid. Mostly have ASUS boards now though. Just got myself a basic ASUS A7V8X which is was easy to install. Just an hour and everything was working fine. Tried a MSI KT4 Utra board with tons of features but lost 1.5 day trying to install that board and removed it and replaced it with the ASUS one. Was planning to buy the nforce2 but didn't because of the MSI board.

Had to swap boards because i had the ECS K7S5A and i bought a AMP XP2600 for a nice price but this boards supports AMD XP2600/266 with a BIOS upgrade and not the AMD XP2600/333 which i just bought. It has a fixed multiplier (ECS).

I think you should go for the nforce2 though.

Zenith Series CT-7NJS

http://www6.tomshardware.com/motherboard/2...osers_this_time

http://www6.tomshardware.com/motherboard/2...nforce2-17.html

[ 06-21-2003, 06:22 PM: Message edited by: Mano Faber ]