Battlefield Earth

Spindoktor

The wife is away for a few days so I have some nice alone time on my hands.

I figured I would get someone else's take on the year 3000AD so I rented this DVD last night.

Big mistake.

I'm sorry to say I wasted 2 hours of my life on this. I kept waiting for it to entertain me but instead it put me to sleep, literally. How you can screw up such excellent subject material is beyond me.

2/10

With 2 points given for making a great sedative.

Anyone like it?

Oh and there is good news. While at BB renting BE, I bought the new extreme edition of T2. Firing that baby up tonight on my 57" WS HDTV with DD 5.1.

My mistake was that I read the book first. I had a hard time putting the book down. Then the movie came out. I loved the book so I had to see the movie. I had never been so disappointed in my life. Get the book, read it, and enjoy.

Battlefield Earth is probably my favorite science fiction work.

I actually enjoyed the movie--I thought they covered the first 1/5th of the book pretty well, but in all honesty it should have been a 3-5 part TV miniseries, like they did with Stephen Kings' 'The Stand'.

My favorite part of Battlefield Earth (the book) was when Terl was finally caught and confined to his room, going insane searching for bugs and cameras and other items of paranoia, but not finding the one he really needed to find

The book is certainly worth the read (I have read it 5 or 6 times now), but the movie...well, I think the main problem was that it was 9 hours too short

rvs

I consider myself to be a very avid reader (especially scifi books)..

and Battlefield Earth was the worst novel I ever read. It was like an italian movie from the 70's... you can summarize the plot in 3 paragraphs, very bland and poorly developed characters and an ending that made THE CAT IN THE HAT a literary masterpiece in comparison.... and it just drags and drags and drags and drags (any French & Spanish literature buffs will know what I mean when I say its like MADAME BOVARY / LA MARIA..but with aliens)

The movie was even worse.

[ 06-18-2003, 10:07 PM: Message edited by: Tac ]

I "liked" the book, it was interesting and had a very strange plot, so it was original if nothing else.

The movie? UGH, almost as bad as the movie starship troopers.

I can't believe what a crappy job that John Travolta did on that movie, it was AWFUL, just plain AWFUL!!

quote:

Originally posted by Tac:

I consider myself to be a very avid reader (especially scifi books)..

and Battlefield Earth was the worst novel I ever read. It was like an italian movie from the 70's... you can summarize the plot in 3 paragraphs, very bland and poorly developed characters and an ending that made THE CAT IN THE HAT a literary masterpiece in comparison.... and it just drags and drags and drags and drags (any French & Spanish literature buffs will know what I mean when I say its like MADAME BOVARY / LA MARIA..but with aliens)

The movie was even worse.

Tac,

Have you ever read 'Camp Concentration' by Thomas M. Disch? That is one I would like to see made into a movie, and being a much shorter read, would probably adapt well to a screenplay.

I also think highly of Samuel R. Delaney, though I have only read 'Dhalgren'.

rvs

If you have ever read the ORIGINAL book by Robert Heinlein, the movie ripped it to shreds.

And I mean Confetti here, the plot was somewhat there, but otherwise it was unrecognizable to the book.