donotcall.gov

Spindoktor

quote:

Originally posted by Remo Williams:

Registered all my numbers last night. now I just hope it works.

It'll work as long as the First Ammendment challenges are defeated (I'm interested in how they'll claim that this impedes their free speech, just because you can say it doesn't mean I have to listen) and as long as those of us who register are vigilant in reporting offenders.

• 2 months later...

quote:

Originally posted by Spindoktor:

Isn't there like a 3 month moratorium? So the benefit won't kick in until Octoberish?

The three-month wait is for those who signed up after the original deadline.

If the courts decide in favor of Congress, this will still only apply to telemarketers; charities and political parties won't be restricted in the least. That being the case, look for any non-profit organization (including pollsters) to find a loophole in the law.

Do any of you have a hard time just hanging up on a telemarketer? honestly I have a hard time being an ass and I listen to what they have to say and sometimes regretably i even agree to get what they are selling *sigh*

why am I such a nice guy?

I should just hang up on their stupid faces!!!

quote:

Originally posted by conker424:

when a telemarketer calls me, i usally start droning on and on and on and on and on about nothing and everything untell they hang up. I pride myself on forcing telemarketers to hang up on me

I like you already.

But anyway this is a bunch of BS, i'm glad i'm not in the states right now. Thats one thing that gets on my nerves, i hate having phone calls about something totally off the wall. I dont give them a chance to talk. As soon as i hear that little pause, i just hang up. I wonder if THEY realize how annoying they are??

Wow, is telemarketing really that much of a problem in the US? Over here, we get cold-called maybe once every 6-8 wks. I always use the excuse that I can't speak French/German (even though I do to some extent) to get rid of them. It sounds like you guys get several calls a day. What a pain in the arse that would be.

quote:

Originally posted by Paddy Gregory:

Wow, is telemarketing really that much of a problem in the US? Over here, we get cold-called maybe once every 6-8 wks. I always use the excuse that I can't speak French/German (even though I do to some extent) to get rid of them. It sounds like you guys get several calls a day. What a pain in the arse that would be.

You bet it is! I get especially upset (understatement!) when I wake up on a Sunday morning to the phone ringing and it's a TELEMARKETER!

Last time a telemarkter called, it was a female.

She started her whole rant about whatever it was she was selling. Underwater basketweaving classes I think...

Anyhow, I stopped her and asked her if I could ask a quick question. The conversation went something like this:

Me: Mam, may I ask you a question?

Telemarkter: Uh, absolutely!

Me: Do you have big breasts?

Telemarkter: Excuse me?

Me: Are your breasts big?

Telemarkter: Ehh, sir, I don't think you have a right to ask me that.

Me: Ehh, mam, I don't think you have the right to call me during my dinner time. Bye. *click*

HAHAHA!!! u know next time they call im gonna pull something like that

the hard part is not laughing tho while u do it lol

I remember this one time when I got a call from a school and it was this chick on the other line telling me to go to the school and I was like "sorry I am going to a university" and she started trying to get me to go by acting like she liked me "you better come I wanna see you, you sound cute. Do you have a girlfriend?" it went on for a while like that but I still told her Im not gonna go so she hung up

My friend got a similar phone call from the same school said but it was a guy and he told me "the guy sounded like a fag"

It was just so unprofesional

You know, times like this I'm tempted to post some of my stories of Telemarketer revenge.

Only I was the telemarketer from hell! Anyone who tried to smartmouth me got one hell of a comeback, and got marked on my callback list with the note reading: REVENGE

I'm also the master of insults:

Victim: (Smarmy) "Why don't you give me your number and I'll call YOU back during your favourite TV program."

Typical comebacks:

"Who do you think you are? Jerry Seinfeld?"

"That wasn't funny when Jerry Seinfeld said it 10 years ago and it's definately not funny when YOU do it."

"Sure: 1-900-you're not funny. Call charges are $5.00 per minute, higher for payphones and landlines."

"How about I give you the number for my other part time job: Gay phone sex."

And that's without going into the wonderful world of answering machine pranks. Back when I was a telemarketer I learned to hate answering machines with a burning passion. If I got three or so in a row I started getting nasty. If impersonating a police officer wasn't so heinously illegal I'd have tried:

"This is senior sergeant McCallister, I'm afraid one of your relatives has been in a road accident and we need you to come down to the station so you can identify the body."

But I don't think I should go into it. SC has my home address and everything =P

Oh and for the record, XOR, flirting is entirely professional telemarketer behaviour. Telemarketers who don't flirt regularly don't meet KPI. Even in my most recent gig where I call businesses you have to flirt your ass off to get the secretary to transfer you.

quote:

Oh and for the record, XOR, flirting is entirely professional telemarketer behaviour. Telemarketers who don't flirt regularly don't meet KPI. Even in my most recent gig where I call businesses you have to flirt your ass off to get the secretary to transfer you.

Yes but you dont have to flirt with me, im too... robotic to be affected by it.

I hear there are special trinkets to block telemarketers, I would like to have one of these.