sheets before the next flight. Never let it be said that ground crews

and engineers lack a sense of humor.

Here are some supposedly actual logged maintenance complaints and

problems as submitted by Qantas pilots and the solution as recorded by

Quantas maintenance engineers.

By the way, Qantas is the only major airline that has never had an

accident.

(P = The problem logged by the pilot.)

(S = The solution and action taken by the engineers.)

P: Left inside main tyre almost needs replacement.

S: Almost replaced left inside main tyre.

P: Test flight OK, except auto-land very rough.

S: Auto-land not installed on this aircraft.

P: Something loose in cockpit.

S: Something tightened in cockpit.

P: Dead bugs on windshield.

S: Live bugs on back-order.

P: Autopilot in altitude-hold mode produces a 200 feet per minute

descent.

S: Cannot reproduce problem on ground.

P: Evidence of leak on right main landing gear.

S: Evidence removed.

P: DME volume unbelievably loud.

S: DME volume set to more believable level.

P: Friction locks cause throttle levers to stick.

S: That's what they're there for.

P: IFF inoperative.

S: IFF always inoperative in OFF mode.

P: Suspected crack in windshield.

S: Suspect you're right.

P: Number 3 engine missing.

S: Engine found on right wing after brief search.

P: Aircraft handles funny.

S: Aircraft warned to straighten up, fly right, and be serious.

P: Target radar hums.

S: Reprogrammed target radar with lyrics.

P: Mouse in cockpit.

S: Cat installed.

P: Noise coming from under instrument panel. Sounds like a midget

pounding on something with a hammer.

S: Took hammer away from midget.

quote:

Originally posted by Kasey Chang:

Uh, SC... There's NO WAY that's from Quantas, since civilian airliner don't have "target radar".

You're thinking target in terms of a combat radar. Thats not the term is used in civilian aircraft with a radar system.

quote:

Here's the original
USAF version

ROTFLMAO!!

quote:

And the winner is: Mr. Merv Grazinski of Oklahoma City. In November 2000 Mr Grazinski purchased a brand new 32 foot Winnebago motor home. On his first trip on the freeway, he set the cruise control at 70 mph and calmly left the driver's seat to go into the back and make himself a cup of coffee. Not surprisingly, the Winnie left the freeway, crashed and overturned. Mr.Grazinski sued Winnebago for not advising him in the handbook that he couldn't actually do this. He was awarded $1,750,000 plus a new Winnie. (Winnebago actually changed their handbooks because of this court case, just in case there are any other complete morons buying their vehicles.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

quote:

Uh, SC... There's NO WAY that's from Quantas, since civilian airliner don't have "target radar".

You're thinking target in terms of a combat radar. Thats not the term is used in civilian aircraft with a radar system.

Any return on a radar screen can be designated a "target" but a target(ing) radar would more likely be one that takes target data (velocity, closure, and heading) and feeds it to a weapons system computer.

If the aircraft had at least four engines, though, it would probably be a bomber. And if it had propellers ... well, maybe it was a Russian Bear.

quote:

Originally posted by Marvin:

quote:

quote:

Any return on a radar screen can be designated a "target" but a target(ing) radar would more likely be one that takes target data (velocity, closure, and heading) and feeds it to a weapons system computer.

Correct. Which is what I said earlier that he's thinking in terms of combat target, which is not how the word target is used in civilian aircraft.

quote:

Originally posted by Marvin:

If the aircraft had at least four engines, though, it would probably be a bomber. And if it had propellers ... well, maybe it was a Russian
Bear

You forgot transport planes, like C-130 Hercules.

quote:

quote:

I always thought civvies say "contact" or "hit" instead of "target"...

But the point is... This list was ALL over Google. I got at least 100 hits of the same exact list (slight wording variations) attributed to Quantas, RAAF, USAF, or just pilot/maintainence in general. Seems USAF gets more votes.

quote:

I always thought civvies say "contact" or "hit" instead of "target"...

Yeah. It also looks like the original list has been added to and adapted to suit different aircraft organizations I suppose. A friend sent me the list I posted - and it mentions Qantas. And the link you posted above (with a smaller list), indicates the USAF.

Thats the Net for you I suppose.

Well, I hope Mr. Grazinski at least lost his drivers-license and had a warm welcome at a local mental institution.

Oh, and I liked to see his judge there too. This person has clearly shown he's not capable of handling a winnie and this judge gives him another one to try again????

I'm sorry, that story is true. I heard and DEFINETLY saw that story on the television years back when it happened. No doubt about it. I can't pledge to the authenticity of the other stories on there, but I wouldn't surprised if some of them were true as well.

quote:

Originally posted by Bandus:

I'm sorry, that story is true. I heard and DEFINETLY saw that story on the television years back when it happened. No doubt about it. I can't pledge to the authenticity of the other stories on there, but I wouldn't surprised if some of them were true as well.

Me thinks you confused it with the Simpsons episode, when Bart got himself a driver's license, and decided to rent a car to visit "World's Fair"... along with the rest of his "pals".

...just to dip in and clarify the radar thing, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong because I'm working from memory here...

Most commercial airliners don't carry anything other than a doppler radar. Heck, most commercial airports don't have radar at all. They have what looks and acts like radar, but all it's really displaying is returns from transponders. I think I remember hearing that they don't use actual "targeting" radars due to the fact that they would interfere with public services.

Well, Aramike. You're right (good news ) and you're not so right (not so good news )

Most airports have radar. But it is not necessary for the radar to be on the airport. If there's a high building close by (30 miles is considdered close by), it's better to place the radar on top of that building (it can see more) and then beam the information to the control tower.

IFF is a form of radar. It is not a primary radar ( = uses its own energy to get to the target AND back) but a secondary radar (only provides energy for the way to the target; the target will provide the energy for the way back, e.g. it answers the call from the radar-installation)

About the interference. You're right. Hospitals and such don't like it when a radarbeam sweeps over them. Hart-monitors go funny when held in a high-energy beam. And the frequencies used in the early days caused interference with tv-broadcast signals. The frequencies we use today cause interference with computer-monitors. But h├®, that's progress.

quote:

Originally posted by aramike:

...just to dip in and clarify the radar thing, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong because I'm working from memory here...

Most commercial airliners don't carry anything other than a doppler radar. Heck, most commercial airports don't have radar at all. They have what looks and acts like radar, but all it's really displaying is returns from transponders. I think I remember hearing that they don't use actual "targeting" radars due to the fact that they would interfere with public services.

Check this out: Almost anything you ever wanted to know about RADAR

quote:

Originally posted by Grayfox:

how, in the name of all that is holy, did this turn from a thread about a joke into a damn radar discussion???

sheesh

Hah. This kinda thing reminds me of the good old days, when no discussion was safe from deviation.