OPERA7

LostInSpace

At first I thought I'd be singing the blues with another dissappointing product but all I can do now is sing praise . Thanks SC for the Opera recommendation it makes IE look like a piece of swiss cheese. I dloaded and installed the latest version 7.11. So far, I've been running it for two days now and it's great. I really appreciate the file transfer feature of this Internet Browser. Setup was very easy. Using the import feature I imported all my favorites from IE

and I just copied and pasted all the IE plugins into the Opera plugin directory. I did not seem to find a plugin importer but since I'm new to this program it might be there and I just didn't see it. Anyway, I'd recommend OPERA7 to anyone.

quote:

Originally posted by Cruis.In:

whats the difference in the java and non java browsers by Opera?

The Java version contains the built-in javascript and the full Java stand alone program while the non-java version contains only the javascript built into it.

(from Opera help file)

What are the differences between Java and JavaScript?

Platform: All platforms

Please don't confuse JavaScript with Java. Java is an entire programming language developed by Sun Microsystems, while JavaScript is a scripting language that was introduced by Netscape.

JavaScript support is built into Opera, as it is a language used to manipulate the contents of Web pages.

Java is a separate download because it is an environment in which a program can be run. Java applets generally do not interact with the Web page itself, but usually runs as a "standalone" program embedded in a Web page.

Ok, this is weird. I've noticed that some GIF avatar images are not being displayed. e.g. ShoHashi's avatar does not display for me in Opera7, though it works fine in IE, Netcaptor etc.

Can you Opera7 users see this image below? I cannot.

Yep, I found the problem. Apparently some people have their browsers set to display .bmp files. I didn't have that in Opera7 (and I don't want it either).

Some of those Avatar images were actually .bmp files with .gif filenames.

I've reconverted all those affected (11 of them) files now and re-uploaded. I can see these avatars now just fine.

Hmmm, I did come across my first issue with Opera for some reason when I went to play around with my personal web page (that my DSL service gives)I can't access it. IE can still access it with no problem. Guess I have to look at the Opera settings.

Ok after reading the comments here and the advice to try from quite a fwe in the community I decided to take the plunge. So I cast of the shackles of IE6 and downloaded Mozilla Firebird and then downloaded a neumber of plug ins some themes and some other bits and stuff and .........

So far so good - have 1 or 2 issues with work web sites but nothing major. So again another good recommendation.

Congrats guys on converting a true child of Gates and showing me there is light outside of Microsoft

I went ahead and downloaded it to give it a try. I like it. I especially like the multiple windows and built in pop up blocker. I've had few issues with websites although it seems to choke on espn.com although thats not surprising. That site is a pig.

My one complaint. I can't seem to find a way to reduce the size of the "main bar". It takes up way too much real estate but this could be strictly due to the ad on the right of it. Will getting rid of this ad by buying Opera allow me to shrink the main bar?

Now how do I uninstall IE6?

Hovering the mouse over the instant graemlins with opera does not give you the description of the icon (i.e. "big grin" for the dude showing his teeth). Instead you get some javascript reference.

This is a deal breaker for me. (j/k)

edit: I mean the instant graemlin list when you are in edit or post reply mode.

quote:

Originally posted by Spindoktor:

Hovering the mouse over the instant graemlins with opera does not give you the description of the icon (i.e. "big grin" for the dude showing his teeth). Instead you get some javascript reference.

This is a deal breaker for me. (j/k)

edit: I mean the instant graemlin list when you are in edit or post reply mode.

Yeah I noticed that too about the emot descriptions =Address:java script:void(0) actually all of the emots give that same description.