What do you think

LostInSpace

quote:

Originally posted by Fiver:

My home forums, where I post under Beowulf are discussing this topic to death (as we do most topics). Thought you guys might want a

wow, I'm glad there are discussions on this issue web wide. I found that most important issues like this fall by the wayside and things we hold precious as american get chip away little by little with no one paying attention until it's too late. WAKE UP PEOPLE this is just the tip of the dictatorship iceburg. Remember the Titanic now just pretend that it's America and that's where we are headed.

I'm not sure I can answer that since to be able to do so would necessitate defining what exactly freedom of speech is and how far it can go.

eg, I may have the freedom to go mouth off to a gang but I might not choose to exercise it. Same goes here we have the freedom to express ourselves but with that freedom comes responsibility. If we are irresponsible with our freedom it ends up being taken away.

quote:

Originally posted by Eclipse:

I'm not sure I can answer that since to be able to do so would necessitate defining what exactly freedom of speech is and how far it can go.

eg, I may have the freedom to go mouth off to a gang but I might not choose to exercise it. Same goes here we have the freedom to express ourselves but with that freedom comes responsibility. If we are irresponsible with our freedom it ends up being taken away.

Yeah but the issue on this is that the guy was busted selling Adult Material to an Adult (who was an undercover cop) I could see if it was a minor he sold it to but it wasn't. He did not break any laws or show irresponsiblity with the feedom of whatever products he chose to carry in his establishment.

I think tongue splitting is sort of gross. However, I fail to see how that is any different from I don't know a boob job......Oh can I say that? It sounds like the same possible complications. Some of the areas people pierce are just as dangerous....

I think this goes a bit too far.

Your freedoms only extend until they interfere with someone else's freedoms. In that case, the passive freedom wins.

I.E. Your freedom to sell nudey comics is overridden by my freedom to not see them in comic store across from my kid's school..

quote:

Originally posted by Kiran:

Your freedoms only extend until they interfere with someone else's freedoms. In that case, the passive freedom wins.

I.E. Your freedom to sell nudey comics is overridden by my freedom to not see them in comic store across from my kid's school..

Errr... your freedom not to see them there has not been infringed, as you are not required or forced to enter the shop.

If I may be so bold as to suggest that you were more specifically referring to your right to raise your child according to your wishes. If that guess as to your intent is correct, might I ask you how this affects that?

Are you also opposed to magazines like Penthouse for sale at a 7-11? I realize you might not draw a comparison between the two, but I see a parallel and so am curious as to your view.

Well, unless there's an age limit on the store, then it's easy access for the elementary school kids to get to. Whereas if it was in a different place, then the out of sight, out of mind rule applies. Kids won't go out of their way looking for rules to break, but if you put the opportunity in their lap...

quote:

Originally posted by Kiran:

Well, unless there's an age limit on the store, then it's easy access for the elementary school kids to get to. Whereas if it was in a different place, then the out of sight, out of mind rule applies. Kids won't go out of their way looking for rules to break, but if you put the opportunity in their lap...

So your concern would be similar to a candy store selling dubious herbal supplements that looked like candy and had them on display with the candy. They have taken something not for kids, packeged it in a kid friendly wrapping and put it where kids frequent.

Fair enough, and I share that concern where it happens (any smokers here?).

In this paticular case though I don't think we have enough information to decide. Having been in the comic culture for some time I can honestly say that the notion that comics are only for kids is a myth.

I will also conceed that comic stores do have to take an extra degree of care when making sure that the adult only material was completely seperate from the kids.

Now if the DA had charged the comic shop with selling to kids, or some kind of child endangerment then I would be satisified. As it is it seems the DA avoided having to legally establish if the guy is keeping the material out of sight and out of mind for kids. That makes me suspicious. If the only thing they can get him for is selling adult material to an adult and then somehow twist that into harming kids long after the fact... Well lets just say that leads me to believe kids in that shop stood little chance of getting their hands on anything they shouldn't.