Is this legal????

Vixef

People only do things like that because the people they bash have achieved more than the people who bash them. So if somthing goes wrong, or they don't like somthing that happend, they start saying s**t.

People who do these things should just get a life.

edit: oh, and I bet they wouldn't like somthing like that done to them.

quote:

Originally posted by Vixef:

Is it legal to harass someone like this?????

No, but then again since when did people care about whats legal and whatsnot? Just getting an attorney to issue a cease 'n desist to an ISP, let alone a user, costs money. And then they'd just pop up elsewhere anyway (one idiot, Bill Huffman, has already proven this over the years with no less than four ISPs booting his sites). Without a court order (which means a hulluva lot more time and money), they won't stop. And the anonymity of the Net makes it all that much easier.

heh, if Bill Gates, George Bush and everyone else (who DO have the resources and money to put an end to all the websites which libel/harrass them) can just ignore it, who am I to worry about it? I know who I am. My friends, family and colleagues know who I am. And thats all that matters. I don't have low self esteem where I have to worry myself about what every twat (who needs someone to bash in order to feel good about themself) online has to say about me, true, false or otherwise.

Besides, thats nuthin' - if you really want to ruin your day, pull up google and do a web or newgroups search on "Derek Smart". See you next month (thats how long it will take you to finish reading all of it).

Here is a thread on one of my local hangouts which has a wealth of resources I posted about libel and defamation on the Net.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

Besides, thats nuthin' - if you really want to ruin your day, pull up google and do a web or newgroups search on "Derek Smart". See you next month (thats how long it will take you to finish reading all of it).

Group search

Results 1 - 10 of about 35,800

Ouch!

quote:

Originally posted by Jonny H:

quote:

Group search

Results 1 - 10 of about 35,800

Ouch!

Yep. And thats nuthin'. You only came up with entries that had my full name in it. Try all sorts of variations (e.g. "dsmart@", "dsmart" etc) and I can almost guarantee close to about half a million combined hits. Easy.

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Vixef:

Is it legal to harass someone like this?????

No, but then again since when did people care about whats legal and whatsnot? Just getting an attorney to issue a cease 'n desist to an ISP, let alone a user, costs money. And then they'd just pop up elsewhere anyway (one idiot, Bill Huffman, has already proven this over the years with no less than four ISPs booting his sites). Without a court order (which means a hulluva lot more time and money), they won't stop. And the anonymity of the Net makes it all that much easier.

heh, if Bill Gates, George Bush and everyone else (who DO have the resources and money to put an end to all the websites which libel/harrass them) can just ignore it, who am I to worry about it? I know who I am. My friends, family and colleagues know who I am. And thats all that matters. I don't have low self esteem where I have to worry myself about what every twat (who needs someone to bash in order to feel good about themself) online has to say about me, true, false or otherwise.

Here is a thread on one of my local hangouts which has a wealth of resources I posted about libel and defamation on the Net.

That's the attitude SC. I wish more people had it. But in my experience most people take too much stock in what someone else thinks of them. I myself just ingnore them to the point they just get fustrated and go away cause they didn't get a reaction outa me. You know I never did try a Derek Smart search but then again I don't bother looking into what anyone else thinks of someone else. The only opinions I look for are for game reviews.

Holy crap, Derek. For the first time ever I actually went rooting around in a google.com search for "Derek Smart"

I have to say that you are probably more hated than Hitler by many people. I read some posts in which you alegedly told people to "F" off. I have to say that if you did, congratulations, it's the funniest thing I've ever read and I may have gotten fired because my boss heard my laughing. If you didn't, shame on you, you should have because they deserved it.

Furthermore, did you really beat a soda machine? I mean, that in itself is hysterically funny. I did that once. :snickers: The good 'ol days.

quote:

Originally posted by Bandus:

I have to say that you are probably more hated than Hitler by many people.

gee, I hope not. Hitler was hated by billions of people. I just have less than a handfull of detractors (with various aliases) and racist Bill Huffman (who has been doing this since early '97) being the libelous stalking psycho leader. So, I don't think I'm in the same ranking as Hitler. Thank God.

Thats nothing, I was even being stalked at one time by some kid that Bill Huffman sent to find my house (I had to move shortly after). That got the police involved and him in trouble.

quote:

Furthermore, did you really beat a soda machine? I mean, that in itself is hysterically funny. I did that once. :snickers: The good 'ol days.

Urban myth. Never happened. I'm not a violent person and never have been; no matter how pissed I'm likely to get.

Go to the press page on the site and read the CGW cover story they did on this farce and you'll see Jeff Green's take. It was something that a Take Two employee told to the media (CGW as it so happens) in order to justify why I left LaTrobe (where the Take2 dev team was - they were all canned in mid '97 as it so happens) so that they could find a loophole to reduce their liability since they were about to ship my game in Beta and without my consent. Of course it backfired on them. It was later proven to be false by one of the managers to Jeff Green.

Trying to guess as to someones nature based on web interviews and postings is a fools game. So I'll play.

Shipping one bad game, no matter how badly flawed would probably not be enough to bring out this kind of rage in people. I have bought too many games that I couldn't launch, let alone get a few second of play out of due to some problem with the program.

My opinion is that what people have mislabeled as rough manners, large ego and other such nonsense is actually closer to what I would call True Believer syndrome.

Lets be honest, Derek had/has a vision. He wanted to make the game and make it RIGHT. As such others who thought they were in a position to tell him how to do it or control the production schedule (perhaps in cases they did have that right, I don't know), clashed with the vision and as a result people with influence put nasty things in print.

Mix in a few bandwagon jumpers, strong feelings from others who caught the vision and I think the slander and libel are understandable (is in possible to comprehend, not agree with).

Now many consider Derek's attitudes to be draconian at best. These are the same people who don't realize that it is HIS game, HIS website and I would guess that if those people engaged him on equal footing they would find a different story. I don't know what story, but different.

It is like walking into someones house and putting your feet up on the couch. The owner has the right to say get the hell out.

...except that most (incl. that fool Huffman, Louis et al), never owned a BC game. Ever. Its just plain old character assassination at its worst by hate mongering anti-social misfits at their best. Thats the Net for you. Anyone can write anything they bloody well feel like. Most people are used to devs either turning the other cheek or just ignoring them. They obviously picked the wrong dev and people don't like receiving what they give.

quote:

Thats the Net for you. Anyone can write anything they bloody well feel like. Most people are used to devs either turning the other cheek or just ignoring them. They obviously picked the wrong dev and people don't like receiving what they give.

The freedom to slander. It is really hard to respond to that. On one hand it is better to err on the side of permissiveness and let the net go unregulated and uncensored. On the other a person must waste valuable time that could be spent on getting a game shipped (can't WAIT for Generations) if they don't want nasty things to stand without challenge.

After thinking about it the problem would seem to be one of identity. There are some people who do things when they think they are anonimous that they would never do if their current phone number and address was plastered up with every action they take on the net.

quote:

...racist Bill Huffman (who has been doing this since early '97) being the libelous stalking psycho leader.

That's just sad, racism is completely uncalled for in any situation. Let an individual's actions speak for himself, and let him be judged by those said actions instead of being lumped into a stereotype. Mindless and petty.

We all bleed red.