My New System is coming!!

What can I tell you?

I was talking to a friend of mine about my POS system and how hard it was to game on it anymore, and he asked me if I would like to have his OLD Mobo and CPU.

I pretty much told him that beggars can't be choosers, and how much? He said that he would GIVE it to me for free, and would ship it to me next week.

So, GET THIS!!

Asus P4G8X Deluxe motherboard

Read about it Here

He is also sending me his old P-4 2.6 Ghz CPU, and 2 256 meg Dimm modules.

Yes, he is a pretty damn good friend!!

Anyway, should have the beast up and running by next Friday, so You will probably see me lost in space somewhere REAL soon!!

Oh, and the DSL is finally here and should have that up and running by September.

Yes, things are good at the Jaguar household!!

Well, I am going to use the onboard Audio and the onboard Lan, so that is 2 PCI slots NOT taken, and the Geforce4 will actually WORK with this board, so I should be good there.

Have a 20 gig harddrive to put in it, and a 52X CDrom, then I will add my CDRW, and I ought to be just ROCKING!!

The new case has 10 slots in it, so plenty of room to put my 3 HD's and anything else I choose to put in it!! LOL.

My wife gets MY OLD POS MOBO and CPU, she just does internet anyway, and the memory, and so I will just basically remove her MOBO, replace it with mine, rdo the OS on both machines and I will be set, then I will have some spare parts around to build my daughters their own machine.

Yes, I am liking this!!

Yea, I pass my hand-me-downs to the wife as well. Ofcourse when I do this I keep getting, "Why must I always get the hand-me-downs???" I just passed on my 2 256megs sticks to complement her 1 256meg stick, as I inserted 2 512meg sticks in my board.

I hope your Vid card is a GF4 Ti and not an MX, otherwise start saving now so you can play BCG. Oh and trust me, you can't compare Onboard Audio with a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz.

Greg,

You would probably be the one to ask this of.

A friend of mine told me that I have to COMPLETELY reinstall the OS when I replace the MOBO and CPU of my system.

I am running Win2000pro, is this a fact? Or can I install the mobo etc and the OS will change around it?

Thanks!!

quote:

A friend of mine told me that I have to COMPLETELY reinstall the OS when I replace the MOBO and CPU of my system.

Not true at all although its a good idea to do so.

What Win2K doesn't detect properly can be resolved by getting the latest drivers for your mobo.

Again, its a good idea to format and reinstall anyway to clear out all the crap that builds up over time. Its a pain, but worth the effort.

Jag, although you can just move the HDD over, it is best to reinstall the OS so that any problems are negated. I've heard people say just uninstall all previous chipset and MoBo drivers before transferring the HDD over, but I would just do a reinstall, that way you know you have a stable system from the get go software wise.

Edit: I just noticed you will going from an AMD platform to an Intel platform. Yes, it is a must to reinstall the OS, as that don't work too well going from one platform to the other.

yes, anytime you change the CPU or the mobo you HAVE to reinstall windows. I think you can reinstall over (without a format) but if you don't you get a BSOD. you don't even have access to a command line. It's probably related to NTFS, but I'm probably wrong

quote:

Originally posted by Epsilon 5:

yes, anytime you change the CPU or the mobo you HAVE to reinstall windows. I think you can reinstall over (without a format) but if you don't you get a BSOD. you don't even have access to a command line. It's probably related to NTFS, but I'm probably wrong

Thats not always true... I get lazy sometimes and dont always reinstall XP Pro when i upgrade my backbones. Like recently, i gave my step bry my MSI0-6330/XP 2000+ and didnt reinstalled, XP Pro still runs like champ. But when i upgraded mine with a Epox mobo and a XP 2500+, I got a BSOD. But offcourse, its always good to do so anyway.

See this rig?

I've been doing so much more regular internet stuff than gaming on it, that it makes my brother want to puke. (He's using my old POS 500mhz Celeron.)

Well, I've been playing a bit of Jedi Outcast, Madden 2004, BCM:G, and The Sims recently. But that's about it. lol... I'm not half the gamer I used to be.

Happy hunting with your new rig.

Nice rig Nova.

Yeah, my new case came today, P4 350 watt power supply, 6 fans, 10 slots etc, etc, new 80 gig hard drive, and I am going to be rocking!!

Also picked up a 100mb ZIP drive yesterday for $5 at a garage sale, including 5 disks.

So to say that I am happy to have a backup is an understatement.

I am just rolling along, the Mobo and CPU etc ships tomorrow from Colorado, so should have it up and running by next Tuesday or so.

Going camping this weekend, so not going to have time to put it together then, otherwise I would!! LOL