Anyone have trouble with windows update?

Epsilon 5

Microsoft has disabled this site and activity until after this weekend I am told. This is a precautionary measure to avoid "That" virus.

Just checked at 10:25 PM EST. Worked fine for me at XP Update Site. They do however have a "how to" window that comes up for checking on the worm.

[ 08-17-2003, 10:46 PM: Message edited by: Rattler ]

I'm having other difficulties with my computer. Maybe (please, God) someone can help me with them. Every single goddamn time I try to install something (games) from a cd, my computer freezes. Every time. Not every other time. Every time. It blows goat nuts. I've reformatted my computer twice and it still keeps happening. Except once. And that was... Battlecruiser Millenium Gold. Hmm... Something you're not telling us, SC? Got some evil computer virus whacking off (get your mind out of the gutter) systems? Hmm? This is really strange. Can anyone offer help with this? It will require a portion of my cunning... No.. no... all my cunning.

I had this same problem once, the problem ended up being a BAD hard drive.

Once in a while it would work, and other times it would go kaput, and that would be the end of it, then sometimes I would get all kinds of funky crap going on.

Check your HD, other then that, that's all the advice I can give you.

quote:

Originally posted by Hades:

I'm having other difficulties with my computer. Maybe (please, God) someone can help me with them. Every single goddamn time I try to install something (games) from a cd, my computer freezes. Every time. Not every other time. Every time. It blows goat nuts. I've reformatted my computer twice and it still keeps happening. Except once. And that was... Battlecruiser Millenium Gold. Hmm... Something you're not telling us, SC? Got some evil computer virus whacking off (get your mind out of the gutter) systems? Hmm? This is really strange. Can anyone offer help with this? It will require a portion of my cunning... No.. no...
all
my cunning.

Could be either a bad memory stick or a cable problem going to the optical drive. Check both.

back OT: Windows Update seems to be working perfectly - i just installed a bunch of updates on my laptop after getting my home LAN working again (damn thing's more tempermental than a middle-aged woman on HRT)

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Epsilon 5:

basically your best bet is to have spare parts to swap and test, hopefully.

And if that's not the case?

Okay before doing any swapping of any hardware (if you have any spares that is) is your motherboard supplied with a diagnostic program on it's install cd? If not, then you should be able to find free diagnostic programs. A good place to look is www.Download.com. If you want to just test the memory check this little program out MEMORY TEST. For a full diagnostic package you could try PC DIAGNOSTICS

The users on Download.com give this a 98% rating and it's free.

Sorry, I'm technologicly retarded. None of these things make sense to me. If my computer can turn on without freezing during start up, freezing when I install from cd, or freeze whenever I ctrl-alt-del something, that means it's working. Unfortunately, that's not the case. My comp freezes during all three of these instances. The only solution my computer illiterate brain can come up with is smashing the entire thing with a large rock, then cursing the gods. If this were a religion, I'd be the guy dancing in a hula skirt to the volcano god. And, is there a smiley that shows a hand going over a head? Like, oh, well, you'd have to be here.

Edit: Wait, hang on!

quote:

Originally posted by Cmdr Chavik:

Are you using AOL? Are you running an AMD processor? Does your hardware predate Windows XP?

Okay, no, yes, and... maybe? I'm using 98 still.

Does that mean I can hit it with a rock?

Oh, and I downloaded that AIDA32 diagnostic thingamajig. How do I tell if something's wrong with my comp? And, will hitting it with a rock fix it? How about a wooden baseball bat? That would help me.

quote:

Does that mean I can hit it with a rock?

Oh, and I downloaded that AIDA32 diagnostic thingamajig. How do I tell if something's wrong with my comp? And, will hitting it with a rock fix it? How about a wooden baseball bat? That would help me.

Yeah, I second Cmdr Chavik's motion of system profile please. Is it a DELL, GATEWAY etc.. or did you put your system together. If you don't know how to fill in your system profile just write up your system info in your next message like motherboard, cpu, memory, hardrive etc.. If you don't know AIDA32 tells you all this.

And as for AIDA32 it's all icon driven and whatever diagnostic subsystem you go into it will list everything about it including any possible problems it finds. For me the only problem and possible solution it gives me for memory is that it states "Install more memory for improved performance" that's because I only have 256mb ddr Yeah Yeah I know I really should have at least 512 just call me lazy in not picking more up.

Oh yeah, if you put your system together yourself you need to check the motherboards manual or web site for compatible components. Like my MSI motherboard it lists specific Hardrives and Memory I should use with it.

Otherwise if you don't list anything about your system for us we are all going to be shooting in the dark trying to help you out.

Like this?

Computer

Operating System Microsoft Windows 98 SE

OS Service Pack None

Internet Explorer 6.0.2800.1106 (IE 6.0 SP1)

Computer Name H4H7R0

User Name John

Motherboard

CPU Type AMD Duron, 850 MHz (4.25 x 200)

Motherboard Name Chaintech 7AIV (1 ISA, 3 PCI, 1 AGP, 2 DIMM, Audio, Video)

Motherboard Chipset VIA VT8365 ProSavage KM133

System Memory 256 MB (SDRAM)

BIOS Type Award Modular (11/07/00)

Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)

Communication Port Communications Port (COM2)

Communication Port Printer Port (LPT1)

Display

Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200

3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce FX 5200

Multimedia

Audio Adapter C-Media CMI8738/C3DX Audio Device

Audio Adapter Creative EMU10K1 SB Live! Audio Processor

Storage

Floppy Drive GENERIC NEC FLOPPY DISK

Disk Drive GENERIC IDE DISK TYPE47

Disk Drive IOMEGA ZIP 100

Optical Drive CDWRITER IDE5224

Partitions

C: (FAT32) 14638 MB (9699 MB free)

D: (FAT32) 14427 MB (13307 MB free)

Input

Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard

Mouse PS/2 Compatible Mouse Port

Network

Primary IP Address 192.168.1.100

Primary MAC Address 44-45-53-54-00-00

Network Adapter Linksys LNE100TX Fast Ethernet Adapter (LNE100TX v4) NDIS5 Driver (192.168.1.100)

Network Adapter PPP Adapter.

That's funny. This system can detect my built-in sound card, but windows can't. Pshaw.

Hades, I've noticed you have a fairly new graphics card in your machine. I am starting to wonder if you have an adequate power supply. How old is this machine, and is it an OEM (Dell, Gateway, Compaq, etc.) or did you build it yourself? Also, see if you can get a power rating off of the power supply itself.

Did this start happening after the Vidcard Upgrade?

No, it only started happening after I reformatted my computer. And, if I didn't have adequate power, wouldn't it freeze in other instances as well, besides installing and boot up. Wouldn't it freeze a lot, just all the time?

quote:

No, it only started happening after I reformatted my computer. And, if I didn't have adequate power, wouldn't it freeze in other instances as well, besides installing and boot up. Wouldn't it freeze a lot, just all the time?

Ah some progress with your system listing. don't worry we will get you up and running shortly well that is if it's not hardware failure. One more question how long have you had this system and when did you install the new video card. When you installed the video card, did you remember to unplug the power cord and hit the power button to drain the excess electricity from the system?

quote:

Originally posted by LostInSpace:

quote:

Ah some progress with your system listing. don't worry we will get you up and running shortly well that is if it's not hardware failure. One more question how long have you had this system and when did you install the new video card. When you installed the video card, did you remember to unplug the power cord and hit the power button to drain the excess electricity from the system?

I've had this system for about a year-and-a-half, and I put in the new video card around June. And, no. I didn't even know I had to do that.

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by LostInSpace:

quote:

I've had this system for about a year-and-a-half, and I put in the new video card around June. And, no. I didn't even know I had to do that.
Oh fudge!!!! I did that once quite by accident when I was playing around with my older system and put the Creative live card back in I didn't drain the excess power luckily it didn't damage my motherboard or other items but it took out my matrox G200 card. It killed it completely!!! I wound up getting a voodoo3000 the next day. Other things can occur that don't show up immediatly like damaging motherboard components that don't crop up right away but down the road. I hope this is not what happened to you. Do you have AOL IM if so IM RESNIG that's me I'm on right now I can talk you through some other stuff.

Calm down, and don't scare him.

Now that I think of it, my wife's machine had the exact same problem, installation of anything would appeared to lock up the machine. If you let it go, it would eventually finish. I say appeared because the machine would just sit there, spinning the CD in the drive. The mouse would still move, but nothing else would work. I don't know exactly what fixed the problem I can only speculate. Our machines (Wife's and mine) are almost identical, both have the same Mobo. The differences are she only had one stick of 256megs of Ram, and I could not turn on the 4 bank interleave, or else the machine wouldn't even boot. She also had an older, slower ATA66, 5400rpm drive to my ATA100, 7200rpm. The first thing I did was update the 4n1 Hyperion drives. With that alone I noticed much better drive performances (HDD, CDROM, FDD). Soon after though I got a new HDD, and passed my other down to her, as well as more Ram. She now has an ATA100, 72rpm drive, as well as 3 sticks of 256megs, with the 4 bank interleave turned on. The slowness has gone for good.

In conclusion, I advise you to install the most recent 4n1 Hyperion drives first from Via and see if that fixes your problem. If not, then try to reinstall windows one more time, maybe your last install didn't go well.