Anyone have trouble with windows update?

Epsilon 5

quote:

Originally posted by Greg Miller:

Calm down, and don't scare him.

Now that I think of it, my wife's machine had the exact same problem, installation of anything would
appeared
to lock up the machine. If you let it go, it would eventually finish. I say appeared because the machine would just sit there, spinning the CD in the drive. The mouse would still move, but nothing else would work. I don't know exactly what fixed the problem I can only speculate. Our machines (Wife's and mine) are almost identical, both have the same Mobo. The differences are she only had one stick of 256megs of Ram, and I could not turn on the 4 bank interleave, or else the machine wouldn't even boot. She also had an older, slower ATA66, 5400rpm drive to my ATA100, 7200rpm. The first thing I did was update the 4n1 Hyperion drives. With that alone I noticed much better drive performances (HDD, CDROM, FDD). Soon after though I got a new HDD, and passed my other down to her, as well as more Ram. She now has an ATA100, 72rpm drive, as well as 3 sticks of 256megs, with the 4 bank interleave turned on. The slowness has gone for good.

In conclusion, I advise you to install the most recent 4n1 Hyperion drives first from
and see if that fixes your problem. If not, then try to reinstall windows one more time, maybe your last install didn't go well.

Wasn't trying to scare him but stating a valid fact. Before any of you put in or take out anything into your computer unplug it and hit the power button to drain out the excess electricity that is the by product of the ATX standard trickle charge or else accept the consequences from messing up the IDE circuits, CPU circuits, memory circuits all the way to any PCI cards you never know what's going to get damaged unless you are extremely lucky and nothing happens. Any tech person will state this also including your peripheral's manual and from my own experience .

HADES,

I also forgot to ask do you have a firewall on your computer and an anti-virus? If you don't have a firewall I suggest you install one such as ZoneAlarm. Because without a firewall you are left wide open while online from hackers messing with anything on you computer.

On top of updating the VIA 4in1 drivers go to the motherboard manufacturer and update the bios as well. I check your motherboard manufacturer and there is a bios update CHAINTECH MOTHERBOARDS. Also if you do a re-install of windows again I find that if you take out your pci cards except for the video card

windows installation goes a lot smoother. Once windows is installed then one by one put the cards back installing the drivers as requested. I've also found that by doing this windows overall operates better in the long run. Anyway if you wanna start isolating possible hardware issues start with the drives specifically the CD roms disconnect them run the computer for an extended period of time to see if you lock up if you do then you know the CD drives are fine and your problem lays else where. Check out your PCI cards such as the sound card take that out and run the computer see what happens. If you still lock up then it's either the video card, Motherboard, CPU, memory or Hardrive you take your pick. As for checking the hardrive most manufacturers have avail a low level diagnostic program that tests every aspect of the Harddrives integrity you can try that also to eliminate the hardrive from causing the problem. Also, if you wanna determine if your video card is causing the problem take that out and in the bios enable the onboard video and then take the computer for another spin. If after all this you still lock up then you know it's either the motherboard, CPU or memory.

Another Warning: Before any of you put in or take out anything into your computer unplug it and hit the power button to drain out the excess electricity that is the by product of the ATX standard trickle charge or else accept the consequences

quote:

Originally posted by Hades:

quote:

In conclusion, I advise you to install the most recent 4n1 Hyperion drives first from
and see if that fixes your problem.

Umm... how do I do that?

Go to you motherboard manufacturer they have all software updates you need for your mother board the link is in my previous post. You have a socket A motherboard your model is listed in that.

Consider this my contribution to the quest to take this thread further off topic.

I almost fried my eyebrows tonite.

It all started when I noticed that the Inspire 420W psu thermal monitor seemed to be on the fritz. So, I decided to swap it out for an Antec TruePower 430W unit I had lying around.

Here I was, swapping stuff out. Then I flipped the power switch and all the lights in the house dimmed.

A few moments later, my APC BackUPS Pro 650, gagged, threw up its overload warning light. And decided to head South thereafter.

I swapped out the psu units again, and it worked fine. Put the Antec back in the and the UPS seemed to lift off the ground, take one look at me, and lit up all its lights.

It wasn't until I put the Inspire back in (I decided to live with the busted thermal sensor for now), that it dawned on me that with the 430W of the Antec, coupled with the other units (monitor, PDA, etc) connected to the PSU, it was being overloaded. Boy did I feel stupid. Luckily I didn't blow up the house circuitry.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

Consider this my contribution to the quest to take this thread further off topic.

I almost fried my eyebrows tonite.

It all started when I noticed that the Inspire 420W psu thermal monitor seemed to be on the fritz. So, I decided to swap it out for an Antec TruePower 430W unit I had lying around.

Here I was, swapping stuff out. Then I flipped the power switch and all the lights in the house dimmed.

A few moments later, my APC BackUPS Pro 650, gagged, threw up its overload warning light. And decided to head South thereafter.

I swapped out the psu units again, and it worked fine. Put the Antec back in the and the UPS seemed to lift off the ground, take one look at me, and lit up all its lights.

It wasn't until I put the Inspire back in (I decided to live with the busted thermal sensor for now), that it dawned on me that with the 430W of the Antec, coupled with the other units (monitor, PDA, etc) connected to the PSU, it was being overloaded. Boy did I feel stupid. Luckily I didn't blow up the house circuitry.

Sounds like you averted a Florida Blackout 2003

quote:

Originally posted by LostInSpace:

On top of updating the VIA 4in1 drivers go to the motherboard manufacturer and update the bios as well. I check your motherboard manufacturer and there is a bios update
. Also if you do a re-install of windows again I find that if you take out your pci cards except for the video card

windows installation goes a lot smoother.

Whenever I click on that site, Explorer performs an "illegal operation" and internet explorer must "close a window" or whatever. Gee, thanks Bill Gates, for this wonderful system. finger.gif

quote:

quote:

Umm... how do I do that?

Just click on this sentence and a box should come starting the download. When done, find the file and execute it, follow the directions on the screen.

Lost In Space, given his technical expertise, I don't think I would have instructed him to update his bios just yet. It is not the same as updating a driver, and can totaly trash his board if not done right.

Wow SC, that was an adventure. The Antec PSU is sure nice though, I run the exact same model in my box, and it replaced the 400w that the wife now has. Speaking of that, we had a family member run a new dedicated electical line in the PC room right before I brought her new machine online. She couldn't understand why I didn't run both 400w PSUs off of the new line.

quote:

quote:

quote:

Umm... how do I do that?

Just click on this sentence and a box should come starting the download. When done, find the file and execute it, follow the directions on the screen.
When I try to open that program, it causes a fatal error.

quote:

Then Start Win98 in
Safe Mode
and then try to apply the patch. If that don't work, then I say reinstall the OS. That is your only other option.

I agree, I have had to reinstall Win 98 many times to solve similar problems.

Kind of back OT:

Windows Update has drivers for Nvidia! After many hours on the phone, (Insert long story here) PNY video tech support told me not to download them, they were written by Microsoft and not very good. (Sounded pretty fishy to me.) Returned the defective card and bought some fine Asus video.

Windows Update is working great, but do they really have the real deal in video drivers on their site?

quote:

Then Start Win98 in
Safe Mode
and then try to apply the patch. If that don't work, then I say reinstall the OS. That is your only other option.

Okay, that worked. Installing it, anyway. Don't know about the rest just yet. Hey, just for the record, is it F5 or F8 that loads Safe Mode? I held both of them, much to my computers annoyance. I'm going to try to install something from a cd.

Sweet! Freakin' Sweet! So far, it worked! I just installed Arcanum from cd, and there were no problems. Hopefully that's the end of that! If it is, thanks to everybody for the help. If it isn't, I'm going to smash this entire system with a rock, and lease an Alienware for the next six years. Either way, it's a win=win situation. Thanks guys! Dancing Bananna!

Alrighty!!! Glad we could get this sorted out for you.

Now for whoever else ever reads this thread.....Remember, Motherboard drives nowadays are essential, so make sure you've installed them. That goes for all platforms, Intel, AMD, VIA, SIS, etc.