100-150 inch projection Tv/Monitor for $10-$20?

LostInSpace

That's right call me crazy!!! I was watching the screen savers and they did a test run of this little gizmo. All you use is a 3x PVC Frensel Lens and whatever compartment you want to make for the housing. I was just wondering if any of you have tried this. The test run on the screen savers didn't go too well because they slapped something together in 10 min and nothing was lined up and measured properly but it did project. From my research on the web I found out that Wallmart sells a 2X Acrylic Frensel Lens that some have tried but it is not as good as a 3x PVC lens. Works for tv/monitors 13"-19".

BIG SCREEN

BIG SCREEN CONSTRUCTION PICTURES

CLOSE UP PVC LENS

I'm almost intrigued enough to try this can you imagine playing BCMG on a 100 Inch (corrected from foot) Jaguar projection!!! SWEET. Or any game for that matter.

[ 01-27-2004, 02:11 AM: Message edited by: Jaguar ]

quote:

Originally posted by Alpha Moose:

hmmm, the quality, at the b-adeals one doesnt seem that clear

Actually, I find that site quite honest compared to the many other sites claiming unprecedented quality some even go as far as to show projections with all room lights on and plasma, hdtv quality screen shots, yeah right.

I'm not that stupid I know there's some degredation of quality. As for the screenshots, don't forget those are jpegs and low quality for web posting it using a cheesy 13" TV not computer monitor actually the images resemble the quality I've seen on bootleg movies where the guy sits with his digital camcord. Anyway, I'm gunna play the guinea pig here and give in to my curiosity (which I never do with these kinda deals)and ordered the Frensel Lens from b-adeals and will let you guys know how it goes. Figure on about a week (delivery time and setup) before you hear about it one way or another.

quote:

Originally posted by Cmdr Nova:

Holy damn, I like the idea. I mean, I'm in the planning stages of redecorating and overhauling my bedroom... This'd be nice to go with the TV and computer.

Yup . Like I said I placed the order from b-adeals yesterday (saturday) and can't wait to put this lens thru it's paces. If it's all it's cracked up to be I'm buying a crap load of pop corn and going to OD on my DVD collection then on to the pc games .

I have good news and bad news. Okay here's the poop on the bad news. Not good. It did project and the TV was alot better than the computer monitor being that it is brighter but the quality of lens wasn't up to par. The lens is too soft to keep it completely flat and focused through the entire picture and the PVC material is too imperfect (internal waveyness throughout).

Now the good news and I mean HOLY CRAP. Being dissapointed in the projection I thought what other use could I put this lens too. Just for the hell of it I held it in front of the monitor and took a look to see (using it as a page magnifier).

Well let me tell you!!! You know what it's like going to a movie theater with a very very big screen and sitting in the front row well that's what it looks like. The damn thing fills your entire field of view. I tried JK Outcast first

with it an it was like actually being in the game.

The only drawback to this is that it is only viewable by you but just think of it as if you put put on a pair of enclosed 3d glasses. My nephew came running over when I told him about my other use for the lens and when he tried it I couldn't get him away from it and I quote "it's like being in another dimension!". You actually have to move your head up and down, left and right to look at all the items of your HUD. Again too bad for the lowsey material imperfections because they are still noticable this way too but once you get into the game you don't pay attention to it. I'm going to try the one they sell in staples for $6 it's a Bausch and lomb Fresnel Lens 2X molded (not hot pressed that I think my lens is) optical grade acrylic but it's only 2x not 3x hope that doesn't reduce the field of view. In my opinion using the lens this was sure beats the heck outa of a projected image even though you are only enjoying the view .

I actually bought the plans for this project at an internet website and as soon as I finish grad school in December, I will be building it. Anyone interested should PM me and I'll let you take a gander at the blueprints. The problem Lost In Space talked about should be covered in constructing the projecter housing.

quote:

Originally posted by Race Bannon IV:

I actually bought the plans for this project at an internet website and as soon as I finish grad school in December, I will be building it. Anyone interested should PM me and I'll let you take a gander at the blueprints. The problem Lost In Space talked about should be covered in constructing the projecter housing.

Cool. The concept does work though I have to say that. Too bad they don't make a molded 3x optical grade hard acrylic for this or better yet optical glass coated with that substance which improves light transmission much like they do to telescope and projector lenses but then you are talking about $$$. I've looked into the Molded versus Hot pressed fresnel lens and I'm 100% that my lens is hot pressed and explains the PVC irregularities. Still even with the best plans the light being projected is like 60%-75% lost (rough estimate). Think of it as going to a movie and sitting there with a pair of dark sunglasses on.

I did come across another concept too. Making your own LCD projector which looks even more promising. The problem is getting the best LCD module. There are two schools of contructions on this. Some use the overhead projection (OHD) method (which you can pick up real cheap from surplus stores or Ebay) and a LCD panel that's made for this (was used by schools and Presentationists but has been phased out due to quality LCD projectors) which again you can pick from surplus stores and Ebay. The other is using (if you can find it) a surplus Rear Projection lens (there are two out there a Delta IV 5" and Fujinon 4.5" lens I can only find the Fujinon one in surplus sites right now) and a small LCD display module anywhere from 1.8"-5". The trick to this is for computer game and DVD viewing you really need a high res module 640x480 or 1024x768 with 16 or 32 bit colors but I cannot seem to find any that are that small with those resolutions. Also it must be an Active matrix panel not passive (passive is old school and the refresh rates suck making artifacts and ghosting. you can find plenty of info about this on the web). Here are two links you might find interesting

LCD projection 1 LCD projection 2

• 4 months later...

I just had a thought. Happens sometimes when things rattle around in my brain for a while.

Why not use one of those projectors they use in presentations. You know the ones hooked to laptops (or a PC) that projects to a wall?

quote:

Originally posted by Cmdr Chavik:

I just had a thought. Happens sometimes when things rattle around in my brain for a while.

Why not use one of those projectors they use in presentations. You know the ones hooked to laptops (or a PC) that projects to a wall?

Price dude, Price. $900+ for a projector then it's $300+ for replacement bulbs. Who do you think we are JOE MILLIONAIRES!!!

Those LCD projectors are EXPENSIVE, and I mean NOT cheap.

The ham club I belong to bought a used one and the darn thing ran $650 used, and the bulbs for them, let's not even talk about it.

Let me know what you find out LIS, if the 2X Bosch works, let me know and maybe I will build one of these things.

Sounds like fun, and my wife thinks our 35" is too big!! LOL

I just wish I could get the S-video input on it to work, now that would be great for BCMG!! Or for UC, hooyah!! LOL

Wow, who'da thunk those little things were that much? I went through three software demonstrations from various vendors. I saw at least two of those things from one and one vendor had about six of them.

quote:

Who do you think we are JOE MILLIONAIRES!!!

Would be nice wouldn't it?

quote:

Originally posted by Jaguar:

Let me know what you find out LIS, if the 2X Bosch works, let me know and maybe I will build one of these things.

Sounds like fun, and my wife thinks our 35" is too big!! LOL

Well zee plans have changed a tad since my 15 inch monitor blew and I got a new viewsonic 19" flatscreen CRT. But let me tell you, that this monitor is very bright even more so than my 15" and when I put the 3x fresnel lens that I ordered

up to it and onto my old 6 foot movie screen

the image in the middle the middle looks great but since the lens is only 8x11 well just the middle of the desktop comes out focused. But it does do on the 19" what it was suppose to do on the 15" but the smaller screen just didn't have the brightness anymore. Someone had posted here a web link for large 2x fresnel lens for 19"-21" screens that was suppose to be for people with poor eye sight I think it was about $30 bucks but since it is rigid acrylic it should do the job well. That'll be the next one I try.