Any suggestions on how to get a job?

Gryphon

quote:

What are you talking about? 6 weeks? What is that?

Baby boot camp, how about 8 weeks and then 12 weeks for the marines.

6 weeks is NOTHING compared to that.

So true..what really is 6 weeks?? Sorry this has gone off topic a little bit, but i think there's a lot of good advice in this thread for not just you, but more people like you going through the same thing. I still stand by my first statement.

The military will never let you down...but its your life. I hope you find work man, i cant even imagine being unemployed.

Hey all,

Thanks so much for your replies. I've been working as a temp for a couple months now - and its been keeping me somewhat busy, just not enough. That's what's been keeping me from replying here actually - two nights a week on third shift, then 8-5 every day...and this labour day, three shifts in a row. Overtime city!

As I'm an alien (Canadian! HAH!) living in the states, the army and such are, unfortunately, out of my reach. So is just about any government job

Regardless, thank you so much for your suggestions. This is such a great community board that you pull together even for lurkers like me. I appreciate it so much.

The Coming Job Boom

Article in Business 2.0. Six pages long though the first three are little more than single paragraphs. Good article I thought. Good argument with good looking numbers. Will just have to see if it comes to pass.

It talks about the retiring baby boomers and the upcoming labor shortage. Has graphs showing past growth and projected future growth. Doesn't do much good for the here and now but perhaps something to look forward to and something for the youngest here to prepare for.

i keep reading articles about retiring baby boomers in my local newspaper .. they say by 2015 there will be more jobs, any kind of job, than workers to fill them, so much that instead of having people doing to the beautiful eyes to the companies, it will be the other way around ...

• 1 year later...

So yeah, to revive a looooooong dead thread

I'm doing slightly better now than I was. The solution was mildly simple. I moved.

Yes, facing total ruin and down to about two months worth of savings, despite working two jobs, we decided to get the heck of out Charlotte, NC. We moved to San Francisco and I signed up with temp agencies and got a temp job in about a week, paying a whole heck of a lot more than anything in Charlotte did. And cost of living isn't ridiculous either --- I live in Oakland and have a very relaxing 45 minute commute by train

I started off pimping my (sigh) Microsoft Office skills. If anything, people were more amazed by my 93+ word per minute ability, then they were by my writing/technology background. It lead to a job at a startup where they needed someone with MS Access skills. I'm now a project manager for them as they try to build an order entry system for their products, and have been with them for five months. Still as a temp I'm afraid, but I haven't quit looking for full time work and I think things are going to be a wee bit calmer on the home front.

Until the job ends anyway!

Thanks again for all the help and advice, all.

quote:

Originally posted by street:

As a former Resident of RockHill, I can relate.been outta there, for close to 5 years now...Thank God!!

Nice place to be, if your not trying to get ahead

You said it, brother! Charlotte, and cities like it (Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, Nashville, etc.) are perfect for people with established careers that want to get a family going. Out of university you get a shitty job, claw your way up the corporate ladder, become a VP, have 2.3 kids...and move to the south, where you can get acres of land and an enormous home for pennies.

I'll take my urban jungle, pan handlers and, most important of all, NEIGHBOURHOOD, over desolate, SUV infested suburbia any day.

And listen to me...my proximity to Berkeley is affecting my political views

• 2 months later...

Well, here I am, resurrecting this loooong dead thread. Am back searching for work, yet again. I successfully saw the project I was managing on to completion (software engineers are a PITA to deal with --- it's like herding cats --- but tend to be good fun regardless).

Anyway, project over, time to look for something new. Have been firing off resumes left right and center, calling temp agencies, etc. It seems temp agencies are the way to go --- I have such a weird background (professional writing, project management, IT) and so little experience (in IT and project management) that no one has any idea what to do with me.

Been at it for about six weeks now. Had a job interview last week that, after a two hour meeting, amounted to, "Hey, we don't actually have a job...we wanted to pick someone's brains to see how we should position the job. Thanks for your help, we'll be in touch." What an enormous waste of time!

im in the same boat now massa.

ive been unemployed since april. Good thing is i have no expenses other than my internet connection (whew).

ive worked in call centers ever since i could work here in the US and im so fed up with it the thought of 'costumer service' just makes me feel sick.

I hate people. Worst of all i hate whiny people.

Been trying to find a job that is not call center. Ive applied for almost anything..from data proccessing to IT to kennel assistant. They all look at my resume and say 'oh you're looking for a phone job?' *groan*.

nothing as of yet. It sucks but i feel that as long as i can, i'll try to get a job not in costumer service.

I still didnt get the link to that merchant marine link ! who has it?

I got so tired of looking for a job, I made my own.

I work for myself, and I ain't looking back.

Took me 6 months to get the money flowing to a point where I was making more then I was working for someone else, now it's a matter of getting my benefits going.

THe old medical/Dental/etc crap. I cannot believe how much all that crap costs, it's gonna be close to a 1/4 of my income, and taxes..... UGH, I hate Washington, I think that I will move to a lower tax, business freindly state, maybe Nevada, because this state seems to hate the self employed. Crossing my fingers for a Rossi win on this latest recount, and hopefully some major changes.

Become a self employed consultant, it will take a little longer to find work, but once you do, it'll start flowing, and if you work hard, it'll really keep you going.

I hate depending on other people for employment, and now if I run out of work, it's my fault for not doing the other part of my job, MARKETING.... LOL

Just more advice from a 40 year old nut who's tired of the same old grind....

quote:

Originally posted by Jaguar:

I think that I will move to a lower tax, business freindly state, maybe Nevada

Nevada maybe friendly to bussiness owners, but it is very VERY mean to those who own a home

Thanks to a tax increase bill that passed at the last election, the taxes here will go up within the next 2 or 3 years

Now you're probably going to ask me, "Why did the people of Nevada vote for that tax increase?"

Answer:

Because there stupid.. they don't bother to check and research what there voting for, they just believe the commericials and don't bother to actulally use that thing called a "BRAIN"

I hate people. Worst of all i hate whiny people.

Yeah, I've gotten to be this way, too. I've become very cynical and suspicious of everyone. Very introverted.

I got so tired of looking for a job' date=' I made my own.[/quote']

Yeah, I meant to comment on self-employment in my post above, but something took me away.

I was self employed for many years. Did quite well, too. But after 9/11, everything went downhill. I'm lucky to get more than one article per month now, and corporate writing? One or two a year, these days.

Bottom line: keep a VAST cash reserve in the bank. When our income started to drop, we had $60,000 in the bank. After two years at rougly $30,000 (combined income!) we're down to just under $10,000. The edge is really, uncomfortably close.

I'm glad to hear it is working out for you anyway, Jag.

Massa, might be time to evaluate yout educational credentials. Do you have a four year degree? If not you should at least consider going back.

Also Jag said two things that are true.

1. He is a nut

2. Consulting is a good way to supplement your income or replace a 9-5. If you can pick up a book called " Consulting on the Side". I used it to help me with questions about taxes, marketing and account maintanance for my little business

quote:

Originally posted by Race Bannon IV:

Massa, might be time to evaluate yout educational credentials. Do you have a four year degree? If not you should at least consider going back.

Alas, no. There's no time for it, m'fraid --- if I'm not working a temp job, I'm looking for one. The long term goal is to get a degree of some sort, someday. But for now, I'm more concerned with keeping rent money coming in.

My wife, too, is looking for work. But for her, life is a wee bit more difficult. She has a degree, and over a decade of experience in professional writing. She is easily director or VP level material...but this means there are just fewer available jobs for her. We've tried looking all over the country, and also in "different" job markets. For example, she could do PR, too...but regardless, she is either ignored (amazing, considering her incredible credentials) or is called in for several interviews in one place and nothing ever comes of them.

Grrrrr.

quote:

2. Consulting is a good way to supplement your income or replace a 9-5. If you can pick up a book called " Consulting on the Side". I used it to help me with questions about taxes, marketing and account maintanance for my little business

Oh, I know all about taxes, marketing and so on. I was a freelancer & consultant for over six years. No one does marketing better than me, for that matter. I would routinely print out hundreds of beautifully designed brochures and letters and mail them out every week, following them up with phone calls. I made an average of fifty cold calls every day. I harvested email addresses to spam people. I was damn good at it, too. Then it all went downhill and no amount of marketing helped.

Hence my statement: save all you can. It has to see you through until you can get money streaming in. I'm hoping one of these temp jobs will turn into something. Paying insurance is killing us almost as bad as rent.

Now, this is where I take a look at the bright side of things. Hm. Let's see. I traded in a truckload of old games to get Half-Life 2 the other day. Mmmmmmmm.