CD-Recordable discs unreadable in less than two years

Supreme Cmdr

I have CDR's I recorded around 98, 99 and so far I've not had any problems reading them. Did these guys stick the things in the microwave or leave them outside?

quote:

Originally posted by echo:

I know htis isn't totally related to the readability of cd's well mabey sorts.

Wasn't there once a conversation about using toothpaste to fill a scratch?

How and what kind?

Toothpaste can be used on some plastics to get rid of small scratches without smudging the surface. It works like very fine rubbing compound.

But I doubt it would repair a CD that's gone bad with age.

• 3 weeks later...

I simply not believe that..... I've always be suspicious about CD-R.... magneto-optic.....mixed thing usually don't look good, but I don't think that well conserved CD-R will be ruined in such a short time.....

However...SC you'll better make double copy of any of your CD-R especially if they contains data on BC series..... WE DON'T WANT TO WAIT FOR YEARS WHILE YOU MAKE UP ANOTHER GAME FROM SCRATCH!!!!

BC RULES!!!!!!!!

quote:

Originally posted by Marvin:

quote:

Originally posted by echo:

I know htis isn't totally related to the readability of cd's well mabey sorts.

Wasn't there once a conversation about using toothpaste to fill a scratch?

How and what kind?

Toothpaste can be used on some plastics to get rid of small scratches without smudging the surface. It works like very fine rubbing compound.

But I doubt it would repair a CD that's gone bad with age.

Some kind of CD repairing kit are also available, don't knows if they're good but you can try...

I have heard that storage is critical. CD jewel cases apparently out-gas the plasticiser used in their production, which ruins the coating on the disc - result: one unreadable CD.

Until recently, Lloyd's of London Reinsurance Brokers were required by Lloyd's to hold all claims documentation for 80 years. Now try selling me (IT Manager at a Lloyd's Broker) a CD-R based archiving system!

I bought my first CD-R drive in 1990. I know this because it was a few months after I got out of the service, and that was July, 1989. Why is this important? Becuase I have burned around 1500 discs since then, and I still have every single one. I have all types of software, patches, docs, etc., etc. I use the cheapest CD-R media I can find. (not necessarily crappy discs, just whatever is on sale. Day was when they ran $2.00 a pop and more.) I have used many of those early discs several times, especially for old DOS games that game on discs and I burned them to CD for longevity reasons. For example, all my university work (circa early 1990's). I have never had a disc 'go bad' yet. I have had some that wouldn't burn (bad media), and I have gone through several drives, and several programs to burn with. There are some caveats, however. I don't get fingerprints on them (skin oils break down almost anything over enough time). I don't expose them to temperature extremes (no dash board resting for my CD's!). And I don't stack them all on top of each other (weight pressure and time makes diamonds; what can it do for a CD?). So, I wouldn't worry about it overmuch. Just take some easy precautions and you should be good for years and years to come. Has I understand it, although DVD's use a different 'layering' technology so they can store more data, they basically suffer from similar issues as CD's. Also, you know that little plastic thing that's shaped like a CD and included in almost every brand of CD-R and CD-RW's? Well, that IS a CD-R/CD-RW. All it's missing is the thin layer of metallic coating. Break a CD in half and see what happens when all those flakes come off. Anyway, don't lose confidence in CD-R/CD-RW's just yet.