My Private Diamond Mine

Supreme Cmdr

Diamond Microchips! Yippie!! I can't wait for them. Can ya'll imagine that? Diamond Microchips? Think of how powerful game engines could be then. Geeze, think of the practical applications for it! AutoCad could be 4 times as powerful than it is now (Now thats what I'm talking about!)!

Wow!!!

quote:

Originally posted by Cmdr. WeeGee:

Diamond Microchips! Yippie!! I can't wait for them. Can ya'll imagine that? Diamond Microchips? Think of how powerful game engines could be then. Geeze, think of the practical applications for it! AutoCad could be 4 times as powerful than it is now (Now thats what I'm talking about!)!

Wow!!!

LMAO...tell me your not serious?

quote:

Originally posted by Most:

quote:

Originally posted by Cmdr. WeeGee:

Wow!!!

LMAO...tell me your not serious?

Yes, he is.. As discussed in the SC article link

quote:

Diamond, it turns out, is a geek's best friend. Not only is it the hardest substance known, it also has the highest thermal conductivity - tremendous heat can pass through it without causing damage. Today's speedy microprocessors run hot - at upwards of 200 degrees Fahrenheit. In fact, they can't go much faster without failing. Diamond microchips, on the other hand, could handle much higher temperatures, allowing them to run at speeds that would liquefy ordinary silicon. But manufacturers have been loath even to consider using the precious material, because it has never been possible to produce large diamond wafers affordably. With the arrival of Gemesis, the Florida-based company, and Apollo Diamond, in Boston, that is changing. Both startups plan to use the diamond jewelry business to finance their attempt to reshape the semiconducting world.

Hmmm, I smell a great a marketing tool here. If Sega was smart they'd jump on this and come out with the first diamond chip console called Sega Gemesis......

That is really cool, however if I was him or that guy in Philadelphia who can make crude oil out of garbage, I'd hire someone to start my car and upgrade my security system. Those two ideas could separate a lot of rich folks from thier loot.

The technology is quite amazing, let's hope that its development isn't scrapped.... besides, in a couple of years I may need to buy an engagement ring cheap Well, with the way marriages go now adays...

Seriously though, I'll keep my eyes on these developments.

Thanks for the link to the story SC. I actually discovered after that my bro had a copy of wired in the WC heh..

Cheers!

Quoted from the link...

quote:

Replicating that environment in a lab isn't easy, but that hasn't kept dreamers from trying. Since the mid-19th century, dozens of these modern alchemists have been injured in accidents and explosions while attempting to manufacture diamonds.

Big understatement here. There was a great Nova special about creating diamonds in machines in a short time. The creation of diamonds has come a long way since the obvious ugly fakes first rolled out.

There are a still a couple counter-measures towards 'fakes' that the most dedicated sellers could use that tell the age of the diamond, which is something these people have yet to counter act in diamond creating. Some companies are also creating insignia within the diamond so they know its real. Kind of like trying to make counter fiting money impossible eh? The big question is if consumers will give a care if its manufactured or from the earth over time. Do I smell some governmental standards and laws abrewen? Another law to be thrown into jail for? Well, thats just a whole other can of worms I am opening up there... hehe

If these manufactured diamonds have the same heat conducting properties as the earth forged ones, then this will certainly usher a new era in computing and micro-chip driven technologies...

Guest Grayfox

quote:

Hmmm, I smell a great a marketing tool here. If Sega was smart they'd jump on this and come out with the first diamond chip console called Sega Gemesis

ok... ive seen people get hung, shot, and bayonneted for making a bad pun/joke like that

i wont hold my breath for the tech weenies to come out with a diamond microchip... hey race, you and i will probably be that guys crude oil before we see diamond microchips...

quote:

Originally posted by Grayfox:

quote:

Hmmm, I smell a great a marketing tool here. If Sega was smart they'd jump on this and come out with the first diamond chip console called Sega Gemesis

ok... ive seen people get hung, shot, and bayonneted for making a bad pun/joke like that

Too late I was already hiding in my underground bunker .