Netscape or Internet Explorer?

ShoHashi

Years ago, when I first got the Internet, I chose Netscape to be my browser. I liked it then, but of course it was the first and only browser that I used. Then, after a couple of years, I dumped Netscape for Internet Explorer. I reasoned that why waste hard drive space for Netscape when Internet Explorer is already installed as part of Windows? Since then, I've been an avid user of IE and Outlook Express. Today, I've decided to pose this question to you all....all things considered, which would you use of these two and why? What are the ups and downs?

Oh, man. Perfect thread for me to ramble about some stuff.

I took a challenge to use Mozilla Firebird, the new Mozilla browser that's in development right now. See this semi-official site for some info on it. This forum is where you can find the latest development builds. (Seriously, they add and fix stuff on a daily basis.)

It's fast, it's got a good featureset, and it's solid. There are some bugs, but it's constantly being improved on. Built in popup blocking, settings to block certain javascripts (like status bar text changing, and window size modification), and the ability to block images (ads) from certain domains. And it's extremely skinnable, so you can find themes to match your tastes. (Currently, there are some bugs with themes on new builds.)

It also has FULL capability of PNG alpha transparency (which IE doesn't have) and complete compatibility with XML and XHTML, to W3C specifications. If you look up PNG transparency, you'll see some info and examples of the lack of IE compliance with it.

I'm also using Mozilla Thunderbird, partially because of that challenge. But I still say if you're used to Outlook or OE, and you don't have any qualms with it, you don't need to change unless you want to try somethign new. It takes time to learn to cope with a new mail program.

I LOVE Firebird. Every other browser can go to hell; or at least, stay off my computer.

Seriously take a look into it. Some of the unofficial builds are even compiled with procesor-specific settings like SSE2 for even further improved speed, if you're in for that.

ShoHashi,

Netscape and Mozilla are more or less the same, i. e. Mozilla is the open source program suite in development, and every other time, a new Netscape version spawns from it. It is therefore perfectly legal to mention Mozilla, when you are asked for Netscape...

(This is just like StarOffice (from SUN), and OpenOffice.org. The later is the open source program suite of the later, with some copyrighted additions, and support.)

It is also planned to split the Mozilla Programm Suite into its various parts, i. e. browser, email client, ...

Apart from Mozilla/Netscape, and the Internet Explorer, you may also want to take a look at the Opera browser. This little gem is also a programm suite with an email client onboard. It is adware unless bought, and the favorite browser for a lot of people.

Best regards

quote:

Netscape and Mozilla are more or less the same, i. e. Mozilla is the open source program suite in development, and every other time, a new Netscape version spawns from it.

Ok, I did not know that the two were almost the same..now I do!

However...I'm not interested in Mozilla or Opera they were covered in another thread on the forum. I'm only interested in Netscape or Internet Explorer.

I'll choose Internet Explorer any day now...like u i liked Netscape way back in the day....like when Apple and IBM roamed the planet. I think it was then...yeah. But i'm so use to using this at home. Simple, fast, and hell...just about everyone has it. No real major bugs that i know about, untill they come up with something better. IE is for ME.

quote:

Originally posted by ShoHashi:

I appreciate your information on Mozilla, Nova, but I'm really only interested in the differences between Internet Explorer and Netscape.

The ability to disable pop-up windows without having to use third part software/bloatware.

Personally, I prefer Mozilla Firebird over Mozilla/Netscape.

TTFN