Who needs a R.A.N.D.O.M Device

Supreme Cmdr

Nah not a R.A.N.D.O.M. Just do what I did to the asteroid around Mars. BLAST the Sucka with the PAID IOD. Although I do Love the R.A.N.D.O.M. it can not Target Unorbitable items. Other wize Id be R.A.N.D.O.M.ing ships, OoOooo I like that thought. Well I better start stocken up on Beer. Better live it up before 2014 aye?

u know since a big asteroid is so devastateing then why dont we launch asteroids? we should also launch asteroids at the ones comeing toward us! see its like a free weapon cus we can just build some giant sling shot and then go harvest a few asteroids and put them in a giant pouch and then make a big robotic hand to put it in the sling and then launch it at enemy planets and the aliens will be like "oh man what are we gonna do?" but it will be too late cus they wont have our sling shot technology and they will die

Wow. grabbing a asteroid with your tactorbeam and accelerate it towards a planet. Then release it and watch the dustcloud grow. Would be cool!

And the real daredevils can find a big asteroid, accelerate it towards a enemy starstation and hide behind it, using the roid as cover!

quote:

Originally posted by Kiran:

^ Was it Ender's Game or Starship Troopers where the bugs did that? It's been awhile since I've read either...

Starship Troopers. the bugs shoved an asteroid eight on top ofSouth America, wiping out Buenos Aires and the surrounding countryside. You go bugs!

I could be wrong but RANDOM's aren't real and this thing is. If we are lucky we can keep this thing in the realm of science fiction. Unfortunately the NASA projects that track these things can only scan less than 3% of the sky. There appears to be little money for tracking them and no realistic plan of action if we actually identify a five or above on the Tarino scale.

SC your'e a Smart guy, ever consider a career change? Your country may need you.

quote:

Originally posted by Marvin:

quote:

Originally posted by dreadx:

Wow. grabbing a asteroid with your tactorbeam and accelerate it towards a planet. Then release it and watch the dustcloud grow. Would be cool!

f=ma .... Who would be grabbing who?

Depends on the technology. the tractor beam may not be just like an energy wire, it may apply a directional gravitic force on the target, or you wouldn't be able to use a shuttle to tow a stormcarrier (then again in BC, ships are unnafected by gravity even if they are in low orbit ... 80km altitude?)

In Star Trek i believe they use the principle of energy wire though, as i remember in voyager's episode where the delta flyer was unable to tractor the mars mission ship wreck out of the anomaly it was stuck in ...

quote:

Originally posted by Epsilon 5:

Depends on the technology. the tractor beam may not be just like an energy wire, it may apply a directional gravitic force on the target, or you wouldn't be able to use a shuttle to tow a stormcarrier (then again in BC, ships are unnafected by gravity even if they are in low orbit ... 80km altitude?)

And a ship can pass through a planet while in hyperspace. Meaning, during a jump, the ship has zero mass. Too bad the tractor beam can't be activated mid-jump, while both the ship and the asteroid are within the "warp" field.

Anyway, I thought one of the latest patches caused a shuttle to slow (significantly) when towing a larger ship.

quote:

BCM VCF:

v1.03 - 12.20.01: Tow load no longer effects any ship's ability to enter hyperspace but increases the duration of the jump.

v1.02 RC10 - 12.10.01: A shuttle's performance (speed, Y/P/R characteristics) will now be severely affected depending on the mass and size of the object it is towing. Some were using this exploit to cart their massive lumbering CC clean, clear across space, due to the shuttle's faster speed and conservative fuel usage. Try towing a Stormcarrier and you'll probably take several hours to leave a region the size of Earth space.

Which would make sense. Even NCC 1701 (TOS) had trouble towing that gigantic geodesic sphere-ship captained by Richie Cunningham's younger brother.

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Kasey Chang:

Only 909000 to 1? I think I get worse odds playing lotto...

Yeah, but how many times have you won?

I think I've won a tenner quite a few times actually. Come to think of it, you've got a better chance of winning the lottery than being in an airplane crash. Besides, we're way overdue for an asteroid crash to be honest.

Kalshion,

You should be ashamed!!

The movie or the chronicles?.... Give me a break boy!!

Get out there, find the REAL book and READ it!!

That's an order!!

Then come back to this thread and tell me where that happened....

quote:

Originally posted by fendi:

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Kasey Chang:

Only 909000 to 1? I think I get worse odds playing lotto...

Yeah, but how many times have you won?

I think I've won a tenner quite a few times actually. Come to think of it, you've got a better chance of winning the lottery than being in an airplane crash. Besides, we're way overdue for an asteroid crash to be honest.
Yea I agree on that statistically speaking of course. The universe needs an outlet to get it's rocks off and we are it!!