Verisign screws the pooch

Supreme Cmdr

quote:

Network administrators are fuming about changes made by domain registrar Verisign to the DNS system yesterday that they say violate longstanding Internet standards.

Verisign yesterday added wildcard DNS records to all .com and .net domains - redirecting surfers who get lost on the Net to a search page, called Site Finder, run by the company. Those who type in non-existent addresses will also be served up Site Finder, instead of an error message.

ROFLMAO. THEY F***ING OWN THE INTERNET PRACTICALLY.

I had to check...

www.vihyahzi.com

redirects to

http://sitefinder.verisign.com/lpc?url=www...ww.vihyahzi.com

It's true. And so f***ing wrong. That's practically owning the internet. It's like, unfair advantage, or a monopoly of domain or something. Or, at the least, there's gonna be techincal problems down the road if their example is followed....

Good god, it is true. I had to check it again:

www.joiaweheiughoaioawerjioerafgiowarjigopheajyukyugkygkugyukgykuoipbhwoairb.net

quote:

It's true. And so f***ing wrong. That's practically owning the internet. It's like, unfair advantage, or a monopoly of domain or something.

You mean sorta like Microsoft?

quote:

Or, at the least, there's gonna be techincal problems down the road if their example is followed....

You mean sorta like Microsoft?

Ok, ok that last was an unfair jab. NOBODY would follw Microsoft's example.

this is wrong, it's like claiming ownership of the internet by default.

Despite that, the wildcard.com stuff doesn't work with me. Must have something to do with my location/ISP

oh, and lookie what i found! That's like hanging adresses to people, hey, he forgot to renew and it was expired 10 seconds ago, it's yours!

Like stealing the seat on the couch of someone while he goes to pee. Probably how it happened with www.orionfleet.com and www.theunderdogs.org ...

Bah. Pre-registering for an already existing domain has been going on forever. Network Solutions had a service like that before Verisign bought them out. All the domain registrars I look at have services like that.

You know, I was actually thinking Microsoft when I said "unfair advantage...monopoly". lol.

Did they not think this was bad to begin with??? I mean now since any domain will now resolve to something, the easiest SPAM check for ISP's is now down the drain. They can nolonger check to make sure a mail sending domain is valid or not, because they now are all valid.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Grayfox

quote:

Schu stressed that several layers of security will prevent hackers from accessing the system.

rrrrrrriiiiiiggggghhhhht.

for some reason i find that hard to believe... i mean if hackers can hack into the FBI...

i dunno, youre the security guru SC what do you think? is anything "hack-proof"???

quote:

Originally posted by Grayfox:

i dunno, youre the security guru SC what do you think? is anything "hack-proof"???

There's no such thing as hack proof. Also, the medium responsible for the security of sites, is a human (not a Gammulan, sadly enough), so they are prone to mistakes. If a hacker breaks into the FBI, its not the hardware/software that is responsible - but rather the implementation and configuration of same.

Just ask Valve

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Grayfox

quote:

But Gomes and Larson, under intense questioning from ICANN committee members, refused to release details about the methodology of the survey such as the questions asked and the responses received. "The actual feedback we got directly from doing the survey is proprietary information," Larson said.

in laymans terms, theyre blowing smoke up our arses.

propietary info my a$$... they use that excuse so no one can right out say that theyre lying.

all about the benjamins...