GameSpy Article - Rage does not describe!

Serondal

I have been lurking for a while, but have never really left. I am waiting for battle cruiser generations so I can become active again ^_^ BUT whilst waiting I Have come across this REALLY REALLY BAD PIECE OF CRAP! This is a review from Gamespy.com for the most overrated games of all time! Look how they bash our beloved god! I SERIOUSLY think you could sue them for this rancid shyt!

Gamespy

I mean, they compare this great game of ours (Which I have been playing in private to this day)to games like Battletoads and Mortal Kombat! That isn't really the bad part though, the bad part is what they say directly about SC I Wish I could choke these guys with my rage powered fists of DHOOM! If this is in the wrong place, sorry ^_^

[ 09-18-2003, 09:17 AM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

Originally posted by Serondal:

I have been lurking for a while, but have never really left. I am waiting for battle cruiser generations so I can become active again
^_^
BUT whilst waiting I Have come across this REALLY REALLY BAD PIECE OF CRAP! This is a review from Gamespy.com for the most overrated games of all time! Look how they bash our beloved god! I SERIOUSLY think you could sue them for this rancid shyt!

I mean, they compare this great game of ours (Which I have been playing in private to this day)to games like Battletoads and Mortal Kombat! That isn't really the bad part though, the bad part is what they say directly about SC I Wish I could choke these guys with my rage powered fists of DHOOM! If this is in the wrong place, sorry
^_^

Ah, that's nothing. You should see what some other sites and reviewers stated. Do a forum search and you will find a thread like this around. What still gets me is what systems are these guys running? 286's? Better yet if they have Gateway's, compaq's or dell's instead of building their own and knowing what the quality of the components are that would explain the inability to get this game running. A relative of mine ownes a gateway and the damn thing crashes or locks up on alot of games and applications.

Anyway, I bought BCMG installed it and whalla it runs with not one hint of a problem right out of the box well except for the multi-player but I bought this game mainly for the single player part and the MP was just icing on the cake . I can name quite a few games that got rave reviews but didn't work straight out of the box but no one paid that much mind why is it that BC gets wacked with thorns on nearly 90% of these review sites? Actually I can come up with a few ideas but why bother.

They are either starving for things to stuff in the 25 list or just plain idiotic.

Morrowind and Starfleet Command do not belong on that list either.

Its better to just ignore Gamespy for the most part or read over reviews of games you like, or looking forward to, with skepticism.

Morrowind was a buggy release, but it was so good I played through the bugs. BCM crashed a lot out of the box for me, but just like Morrowind I play the crap out of it. No doubt BCG will crash a lot when it first comes out, Derek isn't computer god in such a way that he can fortell what his games will do on EVERY FRICKING computer out there. No one should expect that. They should be grateful that he spends his time and money on releasing patches. I've NEVER seen this website down EVER. He even talks to us low lifes and gives us movie reviews, I mean do you ever see Sid Meir do that? (Most Overrated game creator IN HISTORY!!!!!) I swear people cling to Sid Meir like he is the ultimate god of everything Sure his games are good but he didn't make them alone! Meh, to call SC a lunatic when you work for Gamespy is silly. One of the other guys doing the list has a pokemon ball for his character O.o Talk about over rated. It is rather clear none of these guys ever PLAYED Battlecruiser once it was fixed. I downloaded BC3000AD about 6 times trying to get it to work on my computer, with 56K modem. It took forever everytime, but everytime there was a new release I did it ^_^ Finally I got it to run and I've been hooked ever since! SC you are the man, and I say these jerk offs need to put some more effort into their work.

Don't let it bother you.. allot of people are just Jelous that SC made such a great game and that it has such a great fanbase, where as no other game has been able to accomplish such a task

Life sucks, there are people out there who only want to make life hard on others

There are also people out there who make up false reviews (already saw a couple of those about SWG,PS and BCMG)

Comparing a game to a game thats not even in the genra is the game being compared is pathitec, and anyone who reads reviews should know that if that person is comparing.. Say BCMG to HW2, then they should know not to trust that review

There was a review about HW2 being compared to Earth Project and 2 other games.. problem is you can't compare them.. just because there space type games doesn't mean you can compare them.

Earth Project was a major joke.. I trashed that game =

see the problem is you need to have more than 5 brain cells to play this game.

those that bash, or flame, or write negative reviews have less than the minimum brain capacity requirement. they feel a sense of awe that a game can be so "free form" and they dont know how to handle it and are afraid. so they bash it and flame it to make themselves feel better about being morons

for future referance SC, along with the system specs, you should also put a minimum IQ requirement on the box.

I posted about that one over here the other day.

In fact, they had several things wrong and I sent them email about it so that they could fix them.

Clearly, whoever wrote that article, knows barely anything about the games, let alone BC3K.

1. They had BCG shots in the article. So I showed them were to get shots from the original BC3K.
  2. They had the article linked to the Interplay BC3K v2.0 release (GameSpy does not even have an entry DB for the original BC3K). And when they went and corrected it (they had the box art, release date and publisher all wrong), they replaced the BC3K v2.0 box art with the BC3K one. I have sent them yet another email about it.
  3. Several parts of the article were factually incorrect. e.g. this was originally stated, before I pointed out to them that fps mode only appeared in the 2001 release of BCM: "Players could also climb into fighters and blast enemy ships a la Wing Commander, and they could even travel down to millions of alien planets and blow away the natives FPS style."

And in the same email, I sent them a little education about the various BC game releases.

1. Battlecruiser 3000AD, 1996, Take Two
  2. Battlecruiser 3000AD v2.0x, 1998, Interplay
  3. Battlecruiser Millennium, 2001, 3000AD Inc (exclusive to EB)
  4. Battlecruiser Millennium Gold, 2003, Dreamcatcher Games
  5. Battlecruiser Generations, 2003, Dreamcatcher Games

Anyway, life's too short to be too concerned about crap like this. As long as information about the product is factually correct, media opinions are irrelevant to me because I have grown way beyond that angst as I am no longer a n00b at this. I've got fourteen years of experience to prove just that.

BC3000ad gave me fits and crashed, BCM still gives me fits and crashes. I dont give a shit. When I've been able to play these games the experience is unlike any other gaming experience I've ever had.

I consider myself to be a pretty Smart fellow (pun)and I don't think I've been hoodwinked, hornswoggled or hoo-dooed. BC3000 introduced me to computer gaming.Everytime I buy a new game I hope it gives me as much joy as I got from Derek's games. Each time(with the exeception of MW4) I have been disappointed.

These guys at Gamespy remind me of the literary reviewers who trash books written by great novelists because they are incapapble of creating art. I dont even read game reviews anymore. As I recall the last one I read told me to buy Timesplitters 2 because it was comparable to Halo.

I did see some similarities after I bought that piece of excrement..they both came in a big green box. So much for Gamespy

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

I posted about that one
the other day.

In fact, they had several things wrong and I sent them email about it so that they could fix them. Clearly, whoever wrote that article, knows barely anything about the games, let alone BC3K.

Yes, the entire article with all the 25 games minireviews "seems" a kind of huge joke... it's a pity it is not and they wrote that article seriously!!! They really believe what they posted.

They shooted at so many good games without clearly knowing them perfectly. It does not seem a gamespy article but an amateur webzine one. Sooo strange...

By the way... "say what you want, but just talk about it"... good or bad... it's all advertising for Battlecruiser Generations...

quote:

PharaohX

Gone Golder

posted 09-16-2003 02:36

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think its hilarious Gamespy is chastising games for being overhyped when they are one of the main culprits for overhyping these games.

hehe

Not only bc3k is a game that doesn't deserve to be there.

But they use the "done better before" way too much. In the case of dungeon siege, while the game was predictable and almost automatic, for any click-and-bash RPG gamers this was the best out there.

First of all id like to see a list of all these "unfufilled promises" I read the box and everything on it is true...

Secondly these ppl put Morrowind and FF7 in the list. Morrowind is a great game not just because of what it has but because you can literally make it your own through modding

And as far as im concerened FF7 was a freaken masterpeice!

quote:

I dont even read game reviews anymore. As I recall the last one I read told me to buy Timesplitters 2 because it was comparable to Halo.

I did see some similarities after I bought that piece of excrement..they both came in a big green box. So much for Gamespy

thats why i subscribe to CGCDmag. most of the writers have a head on there shoulders, and it was this magazine that first turned me on to BCM with a well written article by denny atkin (sp?)

after i got done reading the article, i was like"wow... i gotta have that friggin game." next month a demo cd with a BCM demo came with the mag, and after that i was hooked. i found out about 3000ad, and that bc3k was a free download, so i tried it out to get a taste of what BCM was going to be like, and i fell in love.

most reviewers now seem to be fanboys plugging their favorite game or platform. i just wonder whatever happened to in depth, non-biased reviews??? time constraints maybe??? lack of gray matter??? who knows. all i do know is i could take the couple bucks i would use to subscribe to gamespy and wipe my ass with it and id get the same effect.

im done ranting.

I have questions about Battlecrusier, Morrowind, and Starfleet Command (and possibly Dungeon Seige), but the rest of the list, I whole-heardedly agree with. (especially FF7, MGS2, and B+W)

it doesnt matter if his games sucked in the past because he pulled through and the games are awsome now!

Whats bad is if someone makes a badass game and then creates a sequal to it that sucks which has happened may times in the past EX: Dark Reign 2

better graphics but gameplay has alor of problems, like when you move your troops they start moving in a line and get stuck between each other due to bad AI most likely. I was always mad when I sent out a huge force and they get take out one at a time because they are in a line