Blame The Game? AGAIN!?

LostInSpace

SC count your blessings that the only worry you have about your games is the infantile reviews. Well that is until we finally begin to explore space en mass and some stupid kid decides to try out a few stunts in space that he could do in BC.

Like starting and intergalactic incident.

BLAME THE GAME

At the bottom of this article you will also read: "In an unrelated lawsuit, graffiti artist Christopher Ellis alleges that Rockstar Games and Take-Two Interactive used his graffiti artwork, titled "Daze," without permission in Grand Theft Auto III." Now can the people who own the places he's vandelized with his graffiti sue him for damages to their property? Hmmmm...

Jack Thompson is gonna one day end up dying due to some obsessed fanboy.

http://www.stopkill.com

quote:

You may be a parent whose child is addicted to video games. You may know someone harmed by someone addicted to violent entertainment who copycatted that violence. The victim, whoever it is, needs help.

I couldn't help but laugh... Then, you realize how serious he is about it. Then you're pissed off.

Thompson's apparantly been around for a long time. I've got a bone to pick against him now.

Someone delete my reply that comes right after Commander Elio

I was sick last night and accidently posted what I WAS going to post here on another board and what i was going to post on that board here... lol

Anywho here is what I was going to say here

quote:

People will always blame a game weather its right or wrong,they don't care, todays society doesn't take responsiblity for there actions, they only know how to blame there actions on other people. Thats why where going down hill - Kalshion

It is not the game's fault, or the game designer. The responsibility lies with the parents. As parents, it is our responsibility to teach our children a sense of moral responsibility and to censor what they see and hear until they are mature enough to know right from wrong, fantasy from reality.

My six-year-old has a friend THE SAME AGE whose parents allow to play DOOM and other shooter games. The only games I allow him to play are either educational or harmless fun games specifically made for his age group. (his favorite game is Treasure Planet Racer).

Well I think that children aren't stupid and they know well the difference between the real violence and the violence showed in games or on TV.... I think that some of the scenes that we see on our news are worse that all the violence that we can find in DOOM or other games.

If in a game when you shoot someone he'll get hurt or he die it's not diseducative, simply it reflect the reality and the children learn that shooting someone is bad for it hurt or kill..... it's different in the games where you don't see blood or where you don't kill anyone but just let them disappear.....

Children may learn to confront with reality step by step and under parents control but without be keeped in a soft and inexistent wolrd, because when they exit from that world they will not be prepared for what they'll find all around them.

Obviously there are some cases where the childer or the person has some sort of disturb or it's not capable of discerning good from bad and that is the reason because here in Italy we canno't buy or detain weapons without a permission form the authorities...... you can never tell if a person is sane or insane untill he do something insane.....

quote:

Originally posted by dennymala:

Well I think that children aren't stupid and they know well the difference between the real violence and the violence showed in games or on TV....

Actually, children don't know this unless they are taught. Too many parents ASSUME that since something is obvious to them, it must be obvious to their child as well. This is wrong.

The problem isn't really the parents (in most case's) but the problem really lies in our educational system (US)

Why do I say that?

Lets see, they don't teach students what they SHOULD know, instead they teach them what they DON'T need to know

Students are exposed to violance when on the playground, back in my 3rd and 5th grade years I beat the living day lights out of a student who was picking on my classmates, I wasn't afraid then to fight.. why? cause I was exposed to stuff like that everyday,however, the 2nd fight ended up with him being in the hospital with 2 broken legs, a black eye and a broken arm... (thinks) hmm I still think I over did it , anywho, when a kid gets into a fight they blame it on something they watched, something that told them that they could fight and win without any problems, well thats what this kid did. He said he watched some program (MK?) that showed people fighting and thought he could do the same.

I quote from a post I made on another board talking about our schools

quote:

Heres the surprising truth

Kids in public school's tend to fight MORE and get into criminal actions MORE (about 60% of the students get into fights and criminal actions)

Kids in private school's DON'T get into fights and DON'T get into criminal actions (about 10% of those students there get into fights and criminal actions)

Why is that?

Public schools are run by the government.. therefor they teach what the government wants the students to learn, they don't teach the students respect,loyalty,honesty.. no they don't.. why? cause that would show a level of intelligence that they don't want the student to have

NOW!

Private schools are very different, I speak from experience cause I attended one for 4 years.. before my family ran out of money =( and had to place me in a public school = anywho, back on topic

At a private school the teachers teach what THEY want.. NOT what the government wants, In Kindergarden they teach a student self respect,self dicilpline,honesty,loyalty, and respect for their elders, I speak the truth cause this is what I was taught as well(this also explains why I get into more fights than anyone else, its because allot of students HATE the fact that I respect others)

The discussion went off course yes and headed toward what where talking about right here..

the 2nd problem is that parents THINK that schools will babysit there youngsters while their there... SCHOOLS are not Kindercare places.. there a place to learn, but saddly parents think that the school will teach the student from right and wrong, some schools (private) will, others (public) won't

Anywho enough of my ranting.. im heading back to bed, hate being sick

Well my parents never stopped me from getting the most voilent games I could get(and belive me I got them ) and I never went and killed anyone...

I loved how the body parts would fly and the blood would splatter all over it was just so beautiful to me and yet I am not some pshycho killer guy in the real world.

when it comes to whats important I take the Jesus route. My parents never taught me whats right from wrong, the bible did, and also my family wasnt perfect yet I never commited any of their criminal act or impregnated a girl, did drugs, killed anyone, or stole...

See I think the kids who do these horrible acts already had something wrong in their head where they thought they were invunerable or something or that they were full of hate and now they knew how to kill a person effectivly due to "virtural training"...

Like that one guy who killed himself and the mother Blamed EverQuest, clearly the guy had emotional problems from the perscribed drugs he took.

I used to play EQ and that angry mom sued the company and then they upped the price from $10 a month to $13 most likely cus of the stupid angry mom makeing them pay alot of money to go to court thus hurting the thousands of other SANE customers. Stuff like that doesnt only happen to videogame companies but i wont go into that cus we all knwo about that...

And also like what dennymala said in a previous post, The lack of gore in a game where you would be killing people would actually do more harm than good, especially if you are unaware of the amount of damage a weapon can actually do...

Say I had a 12gage shotgun, Since I know that if I shot someone in the head with it it would most likely blow their head off, then I know how much damage it can do and I have respect for the weapon and be responible how I handled it. Or if I came in possession of a genuine samurai sword, since I know it can cut a man in half even if he had armor on I would handle it with great care because I dont want to accidently cut my head off and I probably paid 10k for it

Knowledge is power and without knowledge you wont have the power to make the right decision, but since you have knowledge you are responsible if you make the bad decision.

I blame mostly the parents of gaming-inspired criminals. Kids are left to their own without control and they come up with wild ideals. Of course sometimes it's the kid too, but I find it stupid anytime a parent sues a company because the M-rated games his teenage kids played inspired them to do criminals acts. Well duh, you shouldn't have allowed them.

I play tons of combat games like many here, and i couln't hurt an animal (no, I'm not vegetarian). I know what's real i know what's not.

when i started gaming as a kid i grew up palying non-violent games like Mario and F-zero.

IMO the responsiblity lies with the parents in choosing a game for their kid. if their kid wants a bloody fps game then the parent will have to make sure the kid doesnt get a game like that until later in life.

quote:

Originally posted by Commander Elio Jason:

when i started gaming as a kid i grew up palying non-violent games like Mario and F-zero.

IMO the responsiblity lies with the parents in choosing a game for their kid. if their kid wants a bloody fps game then the parent will have to make sure the kid doesnt get a game like that until later in life.

Hell, When I started gaming as a kid it was Pac-man and Space invaders! LOL!

wtf "killed by these games" what the hell is that!? the CD didnt jump out of the case and slice the guy's head off those stupid kids did it! DAMN WHY ARE PEOPLE SO DUMB AS TO THINK A GAME KILLED SOMEONE!!! this is the kid" Oh im just stupid and think games are real" this is the grown up "OMG THAT GAME KILLED THAT GUY AHHH SUE SUE!!!!!" this is me "Idiots..."

quote:

Heck I got you all beat when I was a teen all I had as a video game was pong.

well i do remember pong, but i wasnt a teen yet. my teen years were nintendo and sega master system.

quote:

Oh dear. People just dont learn. Rated M means young boys shouldnt be allowed to have access to that type of material.

i look at it like this... its thinning the herd, cleaning the gene pool, getting rid of the stupid people etc etc...

Actually, I think the root of the problem is our judicial system for even allowing frivolous lawsuits like this to be filed and heard, much less adjudicated.People need to learn what the word responsibilty means. I'm sure the family of the victims are distraught and I console them on their loss, but is a big settlement going to return their loved one? No, it's only going to fill some lawyers' pockets and waste the time of a courtroom and a panel of jurors. One thing is for sure, if those nasty kids are tried as adults and they are imprisoned, they're going to learn some completely new lessons that they are going to Rue until the day they die.

Which might be sooner than they expect in jail.

If our judges would just start laughing these idiot complainants out of the courtroom.....

"Guns do not kill people, people kill people."

Period.

Nothing is simpler than that.

Lets sue violent rap artists, other various musicians that portray violence, loud music can not be healthy, sounds violent, sue whoever is playing music loud, oh, and books and art that portray violence too while we are at it, lets get rid of martial arts and sue whoever practices it, thats violent, people can get hurt. Yeah, because the exchange of money for human life will solve everything . Enjoy your $100 million dollars if you win, sure proved alot . Not like its going to stop developers and its sure not going to stop people from killing people. I am not too sure about the justice system... seems to be lost in bundles of money now.

People make their own decisions, whether it be how can I help someone, or how can I kill someone, you choose. The game does not take control of you, get the gun out, and shoot your neighbor. Stop wasting everyones time playing the blame game and get a meaningful life.

I play all of those violent games:

all of the GTA games

Postal 2

Doom

Quake

Hitman (1 and 2)

everything with all of the blood and guts and everything.... and my parents bought me all of those games. Why? Because they realize that i can handle the intense violence in those games and realize that is isnt really that violent at all.

My polygon turned your polygon red, and particles shot out.

My flames "burnt" your polygon man.

My parents buy me these games because I UNDERSTAND it is just a game and there are more things to life than that game.

If a kid hangs themself, thats because THEY had problems. NOT the game! If someone kills someone after playing a game that is because they can NOT tell games from reality and should NOT be playing those games.

I play all of those violent games, with blood everywhere, and body parts flying, and choking people to death. And im not a psycho murderer! Im actually in all honors classes in high school, and getting very good grades in most of my classes. Im not running around killing people and making hitlists. I have a bunch of friends that like to play video games with me, and we all play the violent games. My friends arent murdering people either.

It is not the company's fault, it is the parents. The parents should spend time with their kids and know if their kids can tell reality from games. It should not be the companys responsibility for some person, they dont even know's, actions. It should be the parent's fault!

The world is so screwed up today for people to even be allowed to sue each other for STUPID things. If I went to Walmart, slipped on a wet floor, and broke my neck, I could probably sue them for millions of dollars. Today people are afraid to do ANYTHING, because they might be sued. My friend got a new trampoline during the summer. But noones allowed to use it AT ALL unless there are a couple adults there to watch, because if one of us falls and breaks our arm we could easily sue them, and the makers of the trampoline.

This is really stupid that the world would allow this kind of stuff to happen. People need to start taking responsibility for their actions.

quote:

Original post by Dambreville
lets get rid of martial arts and sue whoever practices it, thats violent, people can get hurt

And let's not forget to also take into account the exposure to horrific violence from The Bible (any religious bible I refer to). Blood, Guts, violence, incest you name it more than in all the horror movies combined. Go into any church and what is the first thing you see but a huge statue of a bloody Jesus on the cross. That's a fairly violent scene being depicted. Do people consider that detrimental to a young child's psyche? Shouldn't there be rating system for entering a church too? Like NC-17. Should religion be sued too for perpetuating that kind of violent exposure generation after generation?

I don't think so. It's called PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY. I think people in this country don't remember what that means and considers it a foreign language phrase.

quote:

Original post by TheBunny
I play all of those violent games:

all of the GTA games

Postal 2

Doom

Quake

Hitman (1 and 2)

Hey you forgot my all time favorite in that list!!! Carmageddon 1, 2 and 3. I still like the second one the best.