More bad news for Microsoft

Huwie

I just wish that someone would come up with some hard hard drive that would make the OS come up ASAP, like apple has.

I like my windows, I just wish there were some way to put it in memory and have it load from memory. It just takes too damn long to load from the hard drive.

quote:

Originally posted by Jaguar:

I just wish that someone would come up with some hard hard drive that would make the OS come up ASAP, like apple has.

It's not so much the OS that's slow, I know this from the simple fact that I use to do a fresh OS install every six months to a year and before I install anything along with the OS it boots up in seconds, but it's all the second party applications and driver that's installed OS updates, Video card drivers, Sound card drivers, joystick drivers, Anti-virus, Firewall, DSL, Video and sound codecs etc... All these things have to load even before you get to the desktop and that takes up the bulk of the boot in time to windows not to mention a fragged up hard drive. Here are some tricks you can do to make the boot in process a lot faster:

1: make sure your hard drives are not on the same

IDE chain as your CDROMS. The IDE chain will

clock to the slowest data transfer drive in

the chain. In other words, even if you have

the fastest hard drive on the planet if you put

it in the same chain as the CDROM the data

transfer will only be as fast as the CDROM

UDMA tranfer rate. What I do is put the Hard

Drives on IDE1 and all CDROM, DVD drives on

IDE2.

2: Format your hard drive this way. I have an

80gig 7200rpm UDMA 133 drive. I format the

drive 20 gigs for the OS BOOT disk, 40 gigs

for the programs, 15 gigs for downloads, 5

gigs for a Swap and Temp disk. The Swap and

Temp disk is the most important since it takes

all the operations that fragments the hell

outa your boot disk and puts it on a disk that

you could care less about if it becomes

fragged up. Just go into My Computer/Control

panel/System and set the windows Swap file for

this drive. Also go into Internet Explorer

properties and redirect the temp directory to

the Swap_Temp disk. In other words, keeping the

boot drive just that a boot drive and putting

everything else on the other designated drives

you will gain a very significant boot up

increase and you very rarely need to defrag the

boot disk.

quote:

I like my windows, I just wish there were some way to put it in memory and have it load from memory. It just takes too damn long to load from the hard drive.

That would be nice too. If I remember correctly, When the 8088/286/386's were all the rage of their day there were a few companies that use to offer DOS on a chip. But when windows became avail that seems to have fallen by the way side.

quote:

That was excellent, thanks LIS.

The next time I build a system I will do that, or perhaps the next time I redo the OS, I wil do that.

My pleasure. Anything to help out in the windows world . Also, I failed to mention about the My Documents you can also reassign this to another drive as well and keep those files off your boot disk. Just right click on My Documents and select properties. My drive assignments are now C:(bootdisk) D:(programs) E:(downloads) F:(Temp_Swap) the names in the parenthesis are the Volume label names. It's great with this format. I use to defrag the C: drive once a week and it took a long time because it was maddly fragged mostly from that windows temp swap file. Now I just defrag once a month (not that I have to) and the defrag just takes like 10 min or so not to mention the fast boot in time. Actually, 20 gigs for the boot disk is a bit of overkill even with all the drivers and stuff there's only 2.16 gigs used up so you could just make the boot disk only 10 gigs. However my program disk only has 6 gigs left out of 40 gigs. I have games and applications comming outa my arse on that drive . With any luck, foregoing hard drive failure, I should not have to redo the OS for even longer than 6 months to a year.