Huge Solar Flare -> Aurora Borealis

Cmdr Nova

I've been sick for most of the week, staying home from school and sleeping. I overheard on the news while eating lunch yesterday, that a big solar flare was on it's way here. I thought about all that hype about sattellites losing power and crap, and forgot about one big thing.

Today, my girlfriend asks me if I saw the aurora last night. I've been home asleep for almost two and a half days, for crying out loud. Heh.

Google Search

Massive solar flare headed for Earth

Scientists: Solar flare may cause power outages

Auroras seen from Missouri

CNN Slideshow of last night's aurora activity

Snippet from the second article:

quote:

One expert called this latest event the strongest flare in 30 years. Others are putting it in the top three.

Snippets from that CNN slideshow:

quote:

A giant stream of ionized gas swept past Earth October 29, sparking spectacular aurora displays as far south Texas.

quote:

Even here in the depths of the Bootheel of Southeast Missouri we got a little show,' said Gavin Thomas, who shot this digital photograph of the northern lights on October 29.

I'm still recovering from a cold, but hell--I have to stay up tonight. I'm charging the batteries for my digital camera.

Anyone here see any aurora action?

I was the nerd boy. (I call myself a nerd with pride, as well.) I was the guy who took a summer class on astronomy. I was the self-proclaimed space freak. I was supposed to know first... Heh.

With the all the smoke from the California fires spreading into the valley here in Las Vegas, no way we can even see the Aurora...

Dunno about Marvin though.. hes in nevada somewhere.. no clue where though he might've seen it

Ratz. This is the kind of thing I really enjoy. I haven't seen an aurora since flying (navigating, actually) from Yakota to Alaska ... and, before that, one night in Michigan. (I'll bet they had quite a show of it in Michigan.)

I heard about the solar flare (though I thought it was to hit the earth two nights ago) but never, ever did it occur to me that it would cause an aurora. And the last two nights have been relatively warm for this time of year. It would've been a great time to view it. Tonight, though, is probably too late. Besides, it's snowing on-and-off now in northern Nevada.

Ratz.

I was reading on msn and Space.com that the aurora's have been seen as far south as Texas, and will continue through the weekend.

This was due to the 2nd flare on Wednesday, which they are saying may catch up to the 1st blast on Tuesday.

Anyway, I will be looking for them.