More rubbish from me

Guest Fox__Trot

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Fox__Trot

Sooo im reading an interview over at gamespy (link) and its with "Lord British" (and if you dont know who that is go away)

anyway I find a quote (this)

"The counsel -- and sometimes it was more than just counsel -- I would get from EA was that the schedule was the dominant issue. Once we started down the path on Ultima 8, I decided I would be a good corporate citizen and walk the walk and talk the talk. And as Ultima 8 got into scheduling trouble, as every Ultima always did, rather than make a decision as we had in the past to hold the game until it was polished, we began to cut things out to stay on schedule. And we cut and we cut and we cut and the game that was finally released was not only shipped early even for the cut version (and therefore buggy), but also had its guts ripped out as far as being an Ultima."

Now doesn't that sound familiar to any of you? I mean I swear ive read such things as this before but I just cant rember where --- any help?

:P

-Fox

PS: Yes still alive just bored and by the way Crus.In whatever happened to you - you dropped off the face of the planet one day and never came back!

Indeed, I had no idea that he ultima series was quite so plagued by such problems. But hey, if you're a fan of the series there are things you should be aware of:

Ultima IV

Ultima V

Ultima VI

Ultima VII?

Ultima VIII

Ultima IX

These are all being remade for the Dungeon Siege Engine. I can't wait!

quote:

Originally posted by mentis:

if you're a fan of the series there are things you should be aware of:

And if you're not a fan, and want to give one of them a try, you can download and play Ultima IV legally and for free from many sites, including my old one, Download Ultima IV

Greetings,

Wouter Dijkslag

Sweet! I got it! Thanks for offering that.

I should clarify however, that the above links are not to sites on the games themselves, but sites to the projects which are the ultima mods that are being completely recreated for the DS engine. Very exciting!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Fox__Trot

It returns -- Hey it'd fallen to number 9 on the last updated list back to the top with you!--

So lets see since I guess just bumping this wouldnt do me any good I guess I need to say something meaningfull ...

I've been looking at UC:E2E and far be it from me to say anything bad about the SC but... Come on? What are you doing to me here! have you LOOKED at the recomended system requriments? has the sc gotten lazy?? JUST 3.0ghz and a 128mb video card -- Come on man! we've gotten to 4ghz with cooling! we've got graphic cards with TWICE that ram -- Heck! You need to up those specs! come on!

Okay just ignore that paragraph it was just something to take up some space on to the main point of this post...

I'm posting because a friend of mine has decided to build his "dream machine" which really translates into "My dream machine" and being the money saving kinda person I am - I'm looking for a deal from company's YOU would buy from ...

So far I'm looking at Monarch computers and Cyberpowerpc.com (my computer, and three friends all have comps from cyber power great stuff) and I'm just wondering if you know anyone who can beat there prices since things are getting more and more expensive..

Lastly: Sound Cards -- I've got a logitech z-680 system (www.logitech.com check em out ) and really love em but I need something that can take full use of there features ive currently got an Audigy Gamer card

See you all gotta run

-Fox

Edit: Check it out!! Three Pages! W00t!

Guest Fox__Trot

No I like my current speakers and I really wouldnt care to invest in anything nicer since I'm building a "real" surround sound system right now I just need an audio card that supports digital out and wont screw with the digital out since my logitech speakers need the raw feed (basicly I need to be able to turn the soundcard decodeing software/hardware off)

that and I dont think you looked at the z680's take a look (There just a little more powerfull I think)

I build all my systems from scratch, and I look at lots of sites for prices and availability. But I'm afraid that everytime I come back and order from newegg. You just can't beat 'em.

As far as sound goes, I've had good luck with the high end Phillips cards, and I can honestly say that I am, and you can quote me on this, DONE AND FINISHED BUYING ANY KIND OF CREATIVE BRAND PRODUCT! Ah..that felt good. I've owned their 52x CD drive, their 12x DVD drive, and several of their sound cards, last of which was the Audigy Gamer. Man, what a bunch of waste of money.

The reason for this is that their product either (1) has too many hardware compatibility issues, (2) isn't realiable, (3) dies on you, or (4) uses proprietary formats for their own hardware (which is a lot like 1). The last straw was when I got a nice Pioneer receiver for my b-day last year, and I thought "finally, I can do digital surround!" Well, my audigy pooped all over that idea. It seems that the digital out on my audigy was a proprietary digital signal that only worked for Creative surround speakers!

So, before this post get's any longer, here's some Turtlebeach Sound Cards for you to check out. I know them by reputation and think that It may be my next purchase when I need to get a new one. Although, the M-Audio brand seems to be of possibly even higher quality.

Anyway, I hope this helps and sorry for the long post.

P.S.: Hey Fox, do you realize your avatar is not showing...?

quote:

Originally posted by Fox__Trot:

No I like my current speakers and I really wouldnt care to invest in anything nicer since I'm building a "real" surround sound system right now I just need an audio card that supports digital out and wont screw with the digital out since my logitech speakers need the raw feed (basicly I need to be able to turn the soundcard decodeing software/hardware off)

that and I dont think you looked at the z680's take a look
:P

True, they have a few more watts from the amp, However in my opinion they sound better.

As for sound cards you might look at the soundcards made by Hercules or Turtle Beach as mentioned above.

Guest Fox__Trot

my brother recomended M-Audio's solutions for sound cards but im serrious I really do like my 680's and seeing how -all- (i mean it right down to my usb drive) my periphils are logitech I think thats neat...

quote:

Originally posted by Fox__Trot:

seeing how -all- (i mean it right down to my usb drive) my periphils are logitech I think thats neat...

Now you only need stickers on your case like the "Intel Inside" only yours would read something like "Logitech inside and out". That would be interesting. :-)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Fox__Trot

This started out as a private message and so it may not make any sense (you join it mid flow) anyway here goes:

Simply put rember there are a lot of idiots out there but also rember every idiot has something that they are BETTER at then you so you can safely say "Every idiot is a usefull idiot" ... now if you can only find that use :)

Some people are raised to "Support America" and "America will always do the right thing" others grow up in a "Distrust the goverment" and "The Goverment only wants to hurt you" it's all about what youre parents taught you (or its all about how you rebelled against youre parents).

Every day the news floods people with new ideas... the news SURVIVES by building up "House of cards" consperices... It makes one person out to be the "bad guy" and another person out to be a "Good guy" -- when in truth there really is "Nothing to see here move along" -- its so depressing

there are two views to what everyone sees

"The Goverment only lets the news see/print what it wants the people to belive. Freedom of the press? Hah!"

and then you have the *I support america* viewpoint of "This is just bullshit all there trying to do is harm my goverment's viewpoint"

and then theres MY viewpoint of "Who the hell cares -- the news exists to make more news because if they cant find a story they CREATE a story so that the can continue to exist"

In the end I can only say this... I really have stopped careing about what happens in the world the only people I care about are the people I know -- the people I can directly affect in some way are the ones I care about -- and by reading this maybe you'll take something away with you that you hadn't though of before.

*sigh I wish I could spell*

-Fox

Good point. I myself care somewhat what happens globally because I consider myself a human being. Meaning, I am not from this country, and since my birth I have lived in six countries and four US states. I also speak three languages.

I am not saying this because I'm trying to toot my own horn, but because it means that I don't really buy into a smaller fragment of the human population as viewing itself in the right. I have no allegiance to the social constructs of governments and nations. My allegiance is only to one thing: the world. I care about humanity and the planet that humanity has decided to consume.

In my travels, I have learned that history is not history is not history. The history books in each country are not the same as those in another. Each country's history is focused and biased towards itself. Each newspaper and newstation is geared towards the congealing mass of people it is trying to influence, or is influenced by.

So you're right. I have stopped watching TV a long time ago. I care not about slanted views as such. In fact, and I believe I have said this in this thread before, after watching TV I feel like my brain is being numbed and I have gotten a whole lot stupider for it. It's an awakening experience in a way.

Anyway, that's my position in this time and space.

Guest Fox__Trot

So that'd be the green party? *that's a joke I have no idea WHAT the green party stands for*

Honestly you're right about tv but honestly I've just taken a view of "Whatever I do cant help anyone but who I can directly affect" so I dont strive to change the world since I truly belive the world is one giant lost cause -- In truth if we all die to some horrible fate (nuclear,chemical war and what not) I wont care that EVERY human dies since I belive we're beyond a point of being worthy of saving.

Now if somehow we come out of this alive I'd be rather happy to see that in the end human's wont destroy the world to settle matters of pride or matters of who owns what in the world.

Now honestly I'm not against war I'm a big supporter of the war in Iraq for the simple reason I have FRIENDS and FAMILY in iraq and I want them to be WELL funded and trained so they can handle whatever they may encounter.

In the end (Either life or death) the outcome doesn't matter to me.

so depressed - should proably go ask about paxil

-Fox

Guest Fox__Trot

okay for those of you who read my last few posts i feel you deserve an explination.

For the last 2 weeks my life has been EXTREMELY good (you heard me) and things seem to be going VERY well for me for the first time in years (I know you're going why then get all depressive in youre posting)

Simply put I'm so used to being modertly angry at the world that I had forgotten to enjoy life and was despretly digging for somethign to hate in the world however after a good week of getting help (Friends/family noticed it too) I think I really am over it... so hopefully this thread will just go back to being my regular usual rantings on mis-spelling grayfox's name and telling you how i have to cheat my speed to 500 in morrowind in order to enjoy the game.

Fox "I found a way to put quotes back in my post and no you cant ban me for it unless you want to add another post in the 'Forum Community' board" Trot

PS: Ha jaguar I know you read this!!!

Hey man, it's all good! Oh and stay away from Paxil...nasty stuff. I tried it way back during my depressing highschool years, and after three days of paxil induced general really bad sickness, I decided I'd rather be depressed than feel sick as a dog. Bleh.

I didn't know you were a Morrowinder, I myself am too. Though I haven't played for a while since the game has lost it's challenge for my main character. And a new character just isn't the same. Wish they'd come out with another expansions .

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Fox__Trot

Thought I should post something:

Right now ive got a "Freind" in canada reading though this thread and I'd just like to say

"Dont you dare dont youe ven think about it or ill grab a foam bat and beat you with it several times"

____

in other news: I went to Raid 0 rescently (over 4 raptor 10k hd's) im loveing it... hell planetside almost runs without stuttering these days its really nice...

I recomend Raid 0 (Stripe) for everyone

-Fox "Well damn I dont rember putting that there" Trot

• 1 month later...
Guest Fox__Trot

Wow Had to dig deep to pull this back out of "unupdated oblivion" (if its not a phrase it is now damnit)

Fable - Has anyone else been following this game and what do you think? I sit here with a pre-order over at ebgames right now for Fable, Half life 2, and Rome Total War. all shipping "sometime in september pending delays" and this leads me to a problem.

I Can afford all these but im not sure if ill have the time to play them all.

So basicly I'm going to get half life 2 but that leaves Fable and Total War on the perverbial "Chopping block" I want to cancell one of them.

Im thinking I'll cancell Fable since the last rpg's ive played have been pretty "Cookie Cutter" and yet fable sounds like it'll offer a brand new idea to the currently "bland" rpg market.

____

basicly if anyone out there is reading this (and i know 97 posts you tend not to read at all anymore...) I want someone just to say which one I should give the axe to and which one I should keep ... Hopefully someone can argue effectivley why I should keep game A over game B... but honestly at this point I just dont know waht to do

If you want to throw a coin in the air (heads being fable tails being Total war) and tell me which side it lands on then ill tally up the "results" and axe the game with the lowest number -- pure random randomness (and no lieing damnit!)

-Fox

Personally I would cancel Total War. The simple reason being that I prefer and rpg/adventure over yet another rts. Sure, I guess you could say that there are just as many bland rpgs as there are the same old rts games. But I've played a number of rts games, and they do not hold my attention as long as an rpg.

Generally, I think this is due to the way that story is presented. And what Fable will have over many other games of all genres, is a good story and an immersion factor that will be much higher.

A long time ago, I think I posted about UC and the reason why I got it. For me, games which have a high immersion factor in a detailed and complex universe and present things in a realistic manner for that universe are the best. The list of such games for me is short, but they do exist:

Universal Combat, Morrowind, Gothic 1 & 2, Arx Fatalis, Omikron, Shenmue 1 & 2, and Pirates of the Caribbean. I am looking forward to adding Fable to this list.

After all, from everything I have heard of Fable, it is much more than an RPG, just as Morrowind is more than that, or Gothic, or UC for that matter. It is an immersive environment with detail that makes its universe more realistic. Of course, only time will tell if this is actually true. But those are my reasons for why you should choose Fable over Total War. I cannot give you an rts title which has ever presented me with an immersive environment and a highly detailed universe in this way. That's all!