More rubbish from me

Guest Fox__Trot

Fable didn't look so hot at E3. For the most part it was met with complete wonton indifference. It really just looked like you wandered around the countryside aimlessly killing things ala Diablo or Sacred. Hopefully that impression proves wrong because I really like the concept. HOWEVER - I'm not going to even think about buying it until it hits PC. I've sworn an oath to never buy another console game - I just dont get sucked into console games like I do PC games - and it's a matter of control (mouse & keyboard is infinitately better than a dodgy little controller). *sigh*

On the other hand I'm a real grognard and ancient history buff, so games like Rome and BFME are undebatable purchases for me. The Total War series has always made me feel like I was really in charge - there's just so much minute detail there. My chips are on Rome, but Fable may yet surprise.

quote:

In the end I can only say this... I really have stopped careing about what happens in the world the only people I care about are the people I know

I know how you feel. I also sympathize with the rest of your posts. It's an interesting conundrum. You learn to hate everything and become constantly bitter and angry with everyone and everything. Although you can be extremely charismatic around familiar faces or people you're confortable with, others may get the first impression that you're a real bastard based on your outspoken nature and cynical outlook on life. Am I right?

I think of it as an 'arch villain complex' since there are times when you wish you had a button that would wipe humanity from the face of the earth.

It's a side-effect of being 1) Well educated 2) Intelligent and 3) Caring. That last part sounds ironic, dosn't it? Really, it's the biggest cause of your anger and cynicism. You see the world so clearly and don't understand why others don't "get it." If they only used their brains.

There are a few ways to cope with this kind of situation. Make a list of all the things you love doing. For example, I love fish tacos, movies, and photography. When I feel really down I go to Rubios and treat myself to a couple fish tacos or I watch one of my favorite films - to remind myself that there is, indeed, some good left in the world. Journals are also very therapeutic, especially if you fictionalize your experiences (Write fantastic stories that merely resemble your real life). Message boards like this one also help, as you can rely on the people here to not be jerks when post something meaningful. Hope that helps.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Fox__Trot

Hey guys time for an update...

I'm currently looking forward to half life 2 and really think its time to upgrade that video card.

I'm looking to spend 300-450 dollars on a card and basicly im just looking for the "best bang for the buck" at the moment of the "current gen" cards... or do you think I should wait?

any help would be appricated...

Well I wouldn't wait. The only thing you would be waiting for would be PCI express. That would require you to get a new motherboard.

In the price range you mentioned you have these chipsets to choose from

Nvidia: GeForce FX 5950 Ultra, 6600 GT, 6800 and 6800 GT

ATI: 9800XT, X700 ,X800 and X800 PRO

If you have a processor that is equivelant to an AMD Athlon XP 3200+ or less I would pick either the GeForce FX 5950 Ultra or the 9800XT as your processor can't feed data to the graphics card fast enough to take advantage of the faster cards speed. Out of these two cards imo the 9800XT is the better card.

If you have an AMD Athlon 64 or equivlant processor the other choices are better suited. The X800 is about as fast as the 6800. The 6800 GT is about as fast as the X800 PRO. With that in mind, Nvidia cards tends to be faster when running Opengl based games while ATI cards tends to be faster when running Direct3D based games.

Nivida if I remember right allows you to put two video cards into the same computer and link them together it's called SLI. Supposed to double the performance.

Guest Fox__Trot

from what ive read SLI is pci-e only and my current system is a 2.8 (overclocked to 3.08 ghz p4) and ive got a 9800 pro card (256 mb ram) so i dont see any reason to buy a 9800xt for 400 when the x800 xt is 400 :/

quote:

Originally posted by Fox__Trot:

from what ive read SLI is pci-e only

It is. Was not sure if you had an PCI express motherboard or not.

quote:

and my current system is a 2.8 (overclocked to 3.08 ghz p4) and ive got a 9800 pro card (256 mb ram) so i dont see any reason to buy a 9800xt for 400 when the x800 xt is 400 :/

That processor should be fast enough to handle a X800 XT fairly well at least as long as it is overclocked.

So, out of curiosity what are you planning to do with that old "slow" 9800 PRO card when you have upgraded

Guest Fox__Trot

Same thing i do with all my old hardware give it to my friends who cant afford computer hardware but loves playing videogames.

yeah he's got a 1.8ghz athalon xp 768mb of ddr ram (pc 2100) and a geforce 2 ultra card ... damn thats a midrange computer

quote:

Same thing i do with all my old hardware give it to my friends who cant afford computer hardware but loves playing videogames.

yeah he's got a 1.8ghz athalon xp 768mb of ddr ram (pc 2100) and a geforce 2 ultra card ... damn thats a midrange computer

ah, cool beans he should get a kick out of that graphic's card. I assume you decided on the X800?

Guest Fox__Trot

I duno duno at all i *might* do a temporary upgrade to a geforce6800 ultra (by temporary i mean tradeing cards with my brother whose not going be be gameing anytime soon) and then going from there

Guest Fox__Trot

Earth 2160: what is it? I noticed alot of people had it listed in the "im looking forward to it" and well I didnt see any links there for it so um what is it?

Back to GalCiv >:)

oh and rome total war is friggin GREAT today i loaded up a new game and noticed i'd unlocked a SLEW of new empires to play as... that waht you get for playing 3 months on the same campain before you realise "well crap ive lost this"... yeah rome fell and I knew i was doomed *Cry*

quote:

Earth 2160: what is it? I noticed alot of people had it listed in the "im looking forward to it" and well I didnt see any links there for it so um what is it?

EARTH 2160 is the official sequel of the award winning, very popular and top selling EARTH series and continues the brand of Earth 2140 and Earth 2150.

Only a few thousand humans managed to escape from the Earth before its collapse in 2150 A.D. They spent the next few years on the terra forming of the red planet, developing new technologies and building up new civilisations. Somehow each of the three fractions "Eurasian Dynasty", "United Civilised States" and "Lunar Corporation" did this independently and separately from each other - but in the year 2160 something strange happens in this new world. If ED, UCS and LC join forces or continue their old war against each other - is possibly now, up to the player. Beside the usual venues in the solar system, there are some strange looking locations: planets with moving and reflecting liquid surfaces. And beside the standard RTS - resources acquisition, base building and destruction of enemy bases, the year 2160 will have some adventure inspired tasks for the players.

Guest Fox__Trot

I'm not sure but I think this is the largest thread in the rubbish section now.

I'd just like to say yay and woo (but not in that order) 111 posts its been fun.

But before I call offical victory if anyone can point out a larger thread please go ahead andlink it (thats in the rubbish area I remind you)

Thanks!

it's been swell :P

this is just pure rubbish, this shouldn't even be refered to as a thread. it could be argued this is only a thread because a threat must be used to bring across this rubbish, but is a thread a thread when it has no content... you mean its a thread off of some reel of string...

ah too much law and reasonability is in my head...

Guest Fox__Trot

Crus.in to youre happy place! no no no you fail to understand when I created this thread I set out to create a thread that would be the ultimate glowing example of rubbish in truth i just made this fourm to post anything that was on my mind since at one point i was creating ab unch of little threads that had nothing to do with anything in the rubbish pits THIS is a collection of what i -would- of posted sometimes its a usefull read sometimes its not

but thats life...

and crus.... whatever happened to our subspace project?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Fox__Trot

Dunno what you did but it was some flashing red stuff to the far right of the window.

Try preview post next time.

[ 11-27-2004, 11:37 PM: Message edited by: Cmdr Chavik ]

• 1 month later...
Guest Fox__Trot

Assume for a second that ufo's as in the ones from space are real and that we've had alien contact.

Last night I had a really strange dream that had nothing to do with alien abductions but alot to do with horses and cars and the song "The age of pamparius" but thats not the point

I get the feeling UFO's are round because what there doing is spinning the outside of the ship while leaveing a center area of the ship motionless. I think this would allow you to achieve faster then light travel without all the nasty side affects of time slowing down and the like since you never actually are "spinning"

So am I crazy or do you think its even possible I've somehow grasped a "Step" towards FTL travel?

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Fox__Trot

Just thought i'd check but does anyone around here happen to play ultima online on the atlantic shard? just checking (and bumpin) the thread to page four

Very bored,

Fox__Trot