Darwin must have been wrong..

Epsilon 5

That's nuts! Darwin never used the term "evolution" anyway. The term was coined years after the origin of species was released since "decent by modification" was a mouthful. People like that should be dropped back in jungle. They needed to cook a little longer!

Guys, this isn't even funny...

{rant}

A little background, I live in Georgia, go to college in Georgia (At a very good school too, I'm pleased at how much better the curriculum is. They actually teach us knowledge, WOW!) and went to High School, in unfortunately, Georgia.

For the past two years, our Govenor, and his appointees at the State Board of Education, have slowly been destroying our already **** public education system. Standardized test scores have gone up, knowledge actually taught has gone down.

One example is my reading of Fahrenheit 451 in my junior year of high-school. My teacher nearly got fired for making us stray from the curriculum to read that book. His theory, was that it was in the curriculum from the year before, so why shouldn't we read it?

The reason our county school board removed it was because they were in the middle of trying to get several books, including Fahrenheit 451, banned.

Here's another thing. Adv. Placement Courses, for those who don't know, allow you to get college credit for low level college courses before you graduate from high-school. This year, they started a rule that you could not take an AP course and pass it if you failed the AP Exam. Ok, thats all cool and stuff, but the AP Exam is supposed to be optional. Typically, only about 8 out of 30 students pass the AP Exams.

Why are they doing this? Simple, because they cost money. This shouldn't be a problem right? This is education we're talking about. Truth is, they're taking money away from what could be used for, and I **** you not, Laptops for all of the board members.

The Public school system is Georgia is pure crap. Whats even worse is that these "socially conservative areas" that they're talking about are the rich, elitest areas, like where I'm from. Sea Island (Golfers should know this place) owns not only where I live (Glynn County/Golden Isles) but practically the whole state. They can literally pay of anyone in Georgia except the Feds and DNR(Sea Island refuses repeatedly to follow laws concerning the marshes of Georgia. The last thing I read concerning this is that the DNR gives the marshes another 10 years before they die from overdevelopment; Welcome to Jersey Part Deux).

Many of these "conservative" areas are highly church controlled. When my family moved to Georgia, my father, who was a National Park Ranger Law Enforcement Officer at the time, literally had to threaten to arrest people for trespassing (We lived in Park Housing; my father was Chief Ranger, so he was required to live on site.) because they were coming to "save us from the claws of hell". Kind of funny being as we went to the Lutheran Church, but down here in Georgia, thats not a respected church.

Hence this is where the whole evolution **** comes in. I did a project for biology on evolution and I had a peers mother take me aside one day and talk to me about Jesus. Please, spare me.

My Biology teacher had to issue waivers at the beginning of the Evolution and Darwin Theory Unit in our Biology class for students whose parents didn't want their children to learn about evolution. I think 6 students in our class of 27 came back with the waivers signed, all from middle and upper class families, 2 living on Sea Island.

In Georgia, especially the Golden Isles, it doesn't matter what you learn in school. All that matters here is who your parents are.

Welcome to my hell. Somebody give me a plane ride back up to Philly.

{/rant}

EDIT: OHHHH, Almost forgot, and for theatre people like myself, if you say you work in theatre, they think that means you just do a few plays in church now and then, unless of course they're not originally from the area.

We do have a lot of sane people come from up north. But they only stick around for a few winter months and don't really care about the school system.

hahaha!! i have no sympathy for you silly georgian, you think your public school system is going in the ****ter. i live in california, san mateo county (san francisco peninsula), my school has an inflated technology budget, and nothing else. we have unused computers everywhere, and my english teacher assignes (as homework) assignments which must be turned in in manilla folders. he never looks at these papers, so you wonder why he might ask for such an assignment. simple, he doesn't have money to buy manilla folders, or a stapler for that matter. admittedly we do have 3 computers in that classroom, they have never once been turned on by a student, and i have been yelled at for toutching them.

well, so long as the people on the school board can drive mercedes' i'm happy, because i only got 5 more months of highschool, and then i'm free.

LOL< Public education system, what a joke. Government doesn't want people to be smart. They only want you to be smart enough to do the job required to turn the economy over and make some $ to pay the taxes, but not smart enough to realize what's really going on and rebel. Basically they want you to be content, just at the point where it would be more trouble for you to mutiny than to stay put and take all their @#$%@#. Hence the dumbing of the average citizen, the dumber you are, the happier you are, ignorance is bliss remember.

quote:

LOL< Public education system, what a joke. Government doesn't want people to be smart. They only want you to be smart enough to do the job required to turn the economy over and make some $ to pay the taxes, but not smart enough to realize what's really going on and rebel. Basically they want you to be content, just at the point where it would be more trouble for you to mutiny than to stay put and take all their @#$%@#. Hence the dumbing of the average citizen, the dumber you are, the happier you are, ignorance is bliss remember

even if that is true, there is still one thing ppl seem to miss... The second you first stepped into a school, you had all the power you needed to be as smart as you ever wanted to be(unless your brain is deformed and you cant think)

parents should teach their kids to take advantage of their resources at an early age...

Weegee. Splad. Quit yer griping! Be glad you weren't educated 20 years ago. I have an "Advanced Academic Diploma" (the highest you could get) that didn't do squat for me because my school system was so far behind the times I still had to take remedial college courses. You know; the ones numbered 099.

Soback: I have read that elsewhere.

DeepFreeze: Don't think something provocative is a conspiracy. The general population is dumb.

XOR

quote:

even if that is true, there is still one thing ppl seem to miss... The second you first stepped into a school, you had all the power you needed to be as smart as you ever wanted to be(unless your brain is deformed and you cant think)

Exactly.

XOR

quote:

parents should teach their kids to take advantage of their resources at an early age...

FLASHBACK!!!!!!! Oh gawd my dad used to make me so angry. I would hear a word like quiescent on TV. I would ask daddy what quiescent meant. He would look me square in the eye and say "quiescent". Then I would whine "but what does it mean?" and he would hand me a dictionary. I would have to figure out how to spell it in the first place then look up quiescent and it would say "marked by inactivity or repose : tranquilly at rest". Oh geez does this never end? What the hell is repose and tranquilly? So I would look THOSE words up. Needless to say I have an extremely large and varied vocabulary.

To close; if you are intelligent enough to realize your school system isn't the best do whatever you can to educate yourself.

Here is an odd thought. Is there anything keeping you bright young folk from taking online college courses? That would be a hoot if a 16 year old got like an associates degree.

quote:

Originally posted by Cmdr Chavik:

Weegee. Splad. Quit yer griping! Be glad you weren't educated 20 years ago. I have an "Advanced Academic Diploma" (the highest you could get) that didn't do squat for me because my school system was so far behind the times I still had to take remedial college courses. You know; the ones numbered 099.

My college tried to make me take some too because of where I was from, I CLEP'ed out of them before the semester started.

Yea, I was just gripin'; just makes me pissed to see what used to be a good public education system shot to crap.

As for online courses, I don't really dig them. I took a VectorWorks CAD Course last semester online, since I need it for my major. Unfortunately I don't get credit for it, I just have to know CAD, they don't care how I learned it.

As for the course, I just didn't dig it. I really like the teacher to student communication (Hence why I'm going to a Liberal Arts college with a 1:20 teacher:student ratio.) it just makes me feel more comfortable.

Plus when I didn't understand something the teacher half the time would e-mail me back with almost insulting e-mail messages stating the most obvious things I could gather from the lesson for the day. Hell, AutoCAD (Which I learned in High School) and VectorWorks are two totally different programs with little in common. The 3d rendering is what got me anyhow, not used to that with CAD.

But anyhow, yea, I just am pissed to see a good public school system go to the pits below.

That's what I'm saying. It wasn't much better 20 years ago. I will admit that without a connection to the public school system (read kids) I really can't judge. But from my own experience it doesn't seem much worse and certainly no better from your perspective.

i'm not griping, i just think it's funny. i've sat in classrooms my entire life and never really expected to learn anything in them. my senior english teacher has us draw pictures as group projects and my social studies teacher from last year had twister in his back room hmmmm.

i don't think that the public school system is designed to make people dumb and compliant, that's what the media is for, the only reason that the public school systems are so bad is because the road to hell is indeed paved with good intentions and when you get paid as much as a teacher does in california, you must have to live off of good intentions.

anyways, i said i'm free in 5 months because i'm still disallusioned into thinking that college will be better, so if you would please not burst my bubble so soon, thx

sorry to double post, but i forgot to mention that my american government textbook is currently covered with a scratch and sniff advertisement for whomen's deoderant. see, we have to cover the books to keep the covers from getting damaged (if they have covers) so i guess it's more cost effective for the schools to get book covers with ads on them because big corporations will just give the things away, hey free advertisement right?

it's funny though, the same teacher who handed out these scratch and sniff book covers while telling us to cover our books was also the teacher who told us that (technically)legally he is not allowed to wear clothes that have corporate logos on them, like a nike symbol for instance. apparently the logic behind this is that if we are forced to go to school, then it is unfair to make us look at such advertisements as a nike logo on our teacher's shirt all day. makes sense.

• 1 month later...

quote:

Originally posted by Cmdr. WeeGee:

The reason our county school board removed it was because they were in the middle of trying to get several books, including Fahrenheit 451, banned.

For those of you who don't know, Fahrenheit 451 is based in a future where PC has gone so off the deep end that any book containing anything that any significant group finds offensive, is banned. The Firefighters of the future don't fight fires, they go to people's houses who have been found hiding books, and burn it down, along with all their books. Problem is, one of there own has started his own collection....

Ironic isn't it.

gee it's amazing how elected officials cowtow to religious conservatives.

Why? Cuz they have lots of money and influence.

Schools across the country do not teach the basic knowledge that kids need to succeed.

I'm talking free thought here boys and girls.

The basic math, english, and spelling skills that one needs to learn, to accomplish free thought.

Instead they create standards and curricullums to be pounded into your head for the sole purpose of having you parrot the information by rote.

Thank goodness the county school system I attended had a little more forethought.

My junior and senior years in high school did not have a definitive required English course.

It was more like college (elective)

We had a list of courses that lasted a semester to choose from.

I chose speed Reading, Vocabulary, and Creative Writing. The lessons I learned in those classes have served me well. The one exercise that assisted me the most was Public Speaking.

Unfortunately that school board was handcuffed by every crackpot organization in the state after I graduated.

I know this because both of my children attended school in the same system.

They gave my son a standardized vocational aptitude test in his last year of middle school.

Guess what the buggers did then...

They chose his Freshman classes for him from the results of that test.

He was livid, I was livid.

A trip to the school to appeal with the assistant principal gained no relief for the boy. it was,"These are the courses you show the best aptitude for and they can't be changed. Period." This was at the same high school that I graduated from.

Naturally he rebelled against the system.

Fortunately there was a counselor there who thought as I did. "the Asst Principal was an idiot!" and she helped us out behind his back.

My son is mildly dyslexic and reading is quite difficult for him. I digress. The counselor managed to get him into the classes that would benefit him the most.He graduated with a pretty good education I'm proud to say.

There were other problems during those years, but that's a book. The office staff at the High School did not want to see me coming after my first trip there to raise a concern.

I had security guards standing around me one day outside the office, acting all threatening like until a teacher walked by and addressed me by name.It was the Biology teacher I had my Sophomore year :lol The guards quickly disappeared. It wasn't long before the whole staff found out I was one of the first students to ever enter that building. One of The concession stands on the football field was my design and I helped build it, along with the school's traditions. I was soon considered an honored guest when I went there. My children received their education according to my terms.

So, if your present educational system isn't doing the job, Start filling someone's ears with righteous indignation. Change won't happen unless you let them know what YOU want.

• 2 weeks later...

quote:

Originally posted by Wolferz:

Schools across the country do not teach the basic knowledge that kids need to succeed.

The basic math, english, and spelling skills that one needs to learn, to accomplish free thought.

Instead they create standards and curricullums to be pounded into your head for the sole purpose of having you parrot the information by rote.

You mean how the Teachers Unions want the government to stay in control of who goes to what school, by blocking vouchers at every turn?

How they take away our freedom of choices for our kids? It's not just the "religious conservatives" that these guys pander to, it's everyone who has any power or influence.

The reason the U.S. has the best college system in the world is because it's not controlled by the government, there is plenty of competition and students by and large can pick the college that they go to. Sure there will always be schools like Harvard that have 100 applicants for every one that gets in, but there are plenty of great colleges out there that are begging for more students.

Until our Elementary, Middle and High schools operate in the same manner, we will always end up with an inferior schools system for our kids to go to.

If communism has taught us anything, it is that Government controlled enterprises are inefficient and can't deliver the same level of service that private enterprises do, and until we RE-LEARN that lesson, we are doomed to failure in our public school system.

quote:

Originally posted by Darkling:

quote:

Originally posted by Wolferz:

You mean how the Teachers Unions want the government to stay in control of who goes to what school, by blocking vouchers at every turn?

How they take away our freedom of choices for our kids? It's not just the "religious conservatives" that these guys pander to, it's everyone who has any power or influence.

The reason the U.S. has the best college system in the world is because it's not controlled by the government, there is plenty of competition and students by and large can pick the college that they go to. Sure there will always be schools like Harvard that have 100 applicants for every one that gets in, but there are plenty of great colleges out there that are begging for more students.

Until our Elementary, Middle and High schools operate in the same manner, we will always end up with an inferior schools system for our kids to go to.

If communism has taught us anything, it is that Government controlled enterprises are inefficient and can't deliver the same level of service that private enterprises do, and until we RE-LEARN that lesson, we are doomed to failure in our public school system.

We are already doomed, the public school system has done exactly what it was designed to do. Dumb down the American public. Create cogs for the machine of industry.

Problem now, the cogs are unmotivated and apathetic, it creates a situation where a dictatorship can become easily accomplished.

It will happen, it's too late to stop it, now it is just a matter of time.

The cogs are too stupid to do anything about it, and will probably celebrate that someone will take control of their lives and take care of them.

Sad, but that is the way it was designed, so it has actually worked EXACTLY as it was planned to.