Crazy Iowa Weather!

Medivh747

Just wanted everyone to know that the weather in Iowa is unpredictable and it sucks. Today (Friday) we went from a comfortable 70 down to 50 in just 2 hours with multiple tornado warnings, flash flooding, severe thunderstorms, and high winds! Argh! Ok, have to find some shelter..

quote:

Originally posted by Medivh747:

Ok, have to find some shelter..

Where are you going to find shelter?

It's flat.... in case of Tornado, dive into a REALLY DEEP hole, and then put your head between you knees, and Kiss your #$$ goodbye......LOL

Actually we usually chase them, they are fun to watch, till they actually hit something like the last one here did. Totally destroyed the town of Bradgate not far from here, about 30 miles. Luckily no one was killed and only a few injuries.

quote:

Actually we usually chase them, they are fun to watch, till they actually hit something like the last one here did.

You must have some BIG brass ones.

I saw a special about stormchasers a couple of Sundays ago. They were trying to lay down sensors in the path of the tornado and the guy managed to get one down 10 seconds before it was swept up into the funnel cloud. I guess the readings from it gave them some of the best data to date.

Personally, I can't imagine chasing a twister without copious amounts of beer involved.

Guest Grayfox

quote:

Personally, I can't imagine chasing a twister without copious amounts of beer involved.

ahhh that brings back memories of sitting on the rooftop of the barracks drinking "copious amounts of beer" and watching funnel clouds form... with the barracks NCO *****ing at us to get down and into the basement...

Illinois weather is much the same as Iowa it seems... theres a saying here "if you dont like the weather, wait half an hour"