What's it like living in your neck of the world

LostInSpace

I see that alot of you are scattered across the globe as well as the U.S. and candada. As a house bound adventurer (watching all those travel shows on PBS and such), I was just wondering what's it really like living in your neck of the woods.

Example: Weather, the people (your neighbors etc..), living conditions etc.. well you get the idea.

Weather? Hottest place in the US, a place known as Nevada, the big city with all the bright lights (so bright that, for me, it give's me a headach when I'm that neck of the town)

Neighbor here used to be fine, but now most of the house's at Second 8 (government owned), so there are a lot of 'questionable' people living here

Just the other day we had a drive by shooting at one of the Sec 8 house's by a group from another Sec 8 house

In the past, such thing's where just not possible because it was never dreamed.. but now it's almost an every day thing

Living in the house here is sorta like living in the military in a way, we have our own weapons in case of a break in. Which we've only had one, and luckily the guy got smart and left before my father could put a hole in his stomach (later on he got arrested)

So yea.. living here is a challenge and even bigger challenge now that I'm out of school and gotta job hunt... erm...

What about everyone else?

Guest Grayfox

quote:

Weather? Hottest place in the US, a place known as Nevada, the big city with all the bright lights

*sniff* ahhh yes i miss home...

as for here... every bit of weather that god has left over when he deals it out across the world, gets tossed into illinois. i work outside, so i get alot of it... ive been out and its 95 with 100% humidity, clear skies, hour later its raining, two hours later the temp drops to about 60... crazy.

the farmers are funny... social wise, i dont go out much anymore anyways, but what field intel i have gathered is seeing as how this is the state capital, and 90% of the residents have state jobs and make mongo cash, the people here think theyre better than everyone else... the houses are friggin incredible, its not uncommon to see someone rolling down the street in a $60,000 BMW z3 with lumber strapped to the top, or hauling a trailer, the women are beautiful, but by being in such a monetarily rich environment, they are seriously stuck up.

if it wasnt for my pops being seriously ill, my new place, and my job, id be living in australia or something by now...

thats all there is about this hole in the map.

I live between Boston and Cape Cod, I lived my 1st 14 years of life just around the corner. Found an bought my house at just the right time...for those my age lucky enough to have the home, the 2.5 and the minivan around here, there is not much cash to do anything but pay for it. Had I not doubled the size of the house, I would be better off but there is something to be said for lost of space and toddlers!

My neighborhood is wonderful, just the right mix of ages and incomes. I lived 10 miles north of here as a teen. Snob city is all I can say about that town. I always dreamed of moving back this way and am thankful I did every day we are here.

All the towns around here are being over built as many are, we are lucky enough to have an acre of land each so as much as it effects the surroundings, it won't effect me directly and the size and price of the new develpoments only add to my value. Going to HS in a snob town I have been left with a tiny bit so I can adapt to the new comers, if necessary.

We are not in a high crime area mostly driving accidents and a few reported pedifile cases and the very infrequent murders.

I look forward to learning about other areas. Good idea for a post.

I live in Gig Harbor Washington, just west of Tacoma over the Narrows Bridge.

The weather is mild, it rains a LOT, well, maybe not as much as we say it does, it keeps the out of staters at bay, they don't seem to like rain.

I have a view of the Olympic Mountains, and when I go to the other side of the hill, I get a view of the cascades range.

I was born and raised here, and it is nice to be back after 11 years in Oregon.

Gig Harbor is right on the Puget sound, the weather is great, the people are fun, except for the occasional nutso that shoots his wife in a parking lot, and some of the idiot drivers we get from California, who are trying to get away from that hole, so they come up here and try to screw us up instead. They are kind of like cancer cells, but I digress......

Washington is indeed the evergreen state, it is forever green, and it is a beautiful place to live.

I have tried to live other places, but it's just NOT the same. It is just too beautiful here for anywhere else to compare.

Hmmm... what's there to say about Florida? Well South Florida might be California light and Palm Beach County might be New York light... but the beauty of this state transcends the cliches of Miami and Palm Beach. I am fortunate enough to live in Martin County which is north of Palm Beach County. Here we have responsible growth and one of the best school districts in the state. We also have the best beaches bar none. Sure the Gulf Coast has some nice beaches but we have the Gulfstream which brings fresh warm water to our doorstep.

In my 15 years of living in Florida it has grown immensely. Sure they harvest Springer Show participants from this state but that's ok with me as long as I can stay in Martin County. We have Orlando 90 miles away and Miami 99 miles away, we are smack dab in the middle of amusements and the like. Couldn't ask for anything more.

Growing up in Queens, NY until I turned 18 and then moving here taught me to appreciate the fact that Florida is not half as hectic as people make it out to be. I'm a city kid so I can never be far from the action. However as the kids grow and time matures me maybe Colorado will call... but only if I get to keep a summer house in Scotland. Now there I could live in small town and not much care. A sailboat, a house overlooking Raasay from Skye... oh yeah I could do that just fine.

It is a shame that Florida is growing too fast. It is a shame that a shack on even sloppy water costs you $500,000.00. It is a shame that a modest home in a good neighborhood (where there is good paying work) costs $250,000.00 plus. This state wasn't always like that. I'm glad I got to live here before all of the changes. I'm glad I got my foot in the door early. I feel bad for the kids that grow up here and want to stay here... property is so inflated that you have to buy an investment property just so your kids will have a place to go if they want to live in their home town. This is Florida.

Well, I live just outside Prague, one of the most beautiful cities in Europe, used as a location for many films and a major tourist centre, so pickpockets are pretty active in the city centre (keep your valuables and documents well hidden if you look like a tourist) I live in a small village on the outskirts, where the people are generally friendly, we get great sunsets most evenings and on a clear day we can see various mountain ranges from our bedroom window. As far as weather is concerned, weÔÇÖve been getting some pretty extreme examples lately. 2 years ago we had the biggest floods for 500 years, last year we had the worst drought for 80 years, in February this year, daytime temperatures rose from ÔÇô15 to +25 Celsius in just two weeks and just last week we had our biggest single lightning storm in recorded history with over 50,000 strikes overnight. That was quite a show.

I live in a suburb of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. A nice place, friendly neighbors, lots of convenient access to local stores and shopping malls, and easy access to several major interstates and highways.

There are several interesting attractions here, from art museums honoring a local artist (Andy Warhol), two nearby Frank Lloyd Wright homes, our two new sports stadiums, concert ampitheaters, the Carnegie Museum of Art and Natural History, Science Center, Sports Center. Even a small local amusement park which is a historical landmark along with a newer water park. We have flower and bird conservatories too, along with a so-so zoo. Oh yeah, we are in driving range of Seven Springs, a nice ski resort in our area.

Unfortunately, Allegheny county is home to some of the highest tax rates in the country, not to mention Pittsburgh is dead broke due to what appears to be a decade or more of officials burying their heads in the sand. The city is getting state aid in a last ditch effort to avoid bankruptcy. Not to mention that Pittsburgh interstates were built before someone came up with the concept of "beltway" and the geography (sitting at the confluence of three rivers surrounded by hills) presents major traffic infrastructure headaches (read: sit on the aptly named "Parkway" interstates for an hour trying to get in and out of the city for work each day, a problem which I am thankful to not have).

Sounds like fun over there to the west, Joel. I have been to some of the outlying communities near Pittsburgh but haven't physically been in town, except for a quick landing to change planes in both airports. (the old one and then the new one).

The little town of Drums is situated in the Wyoming Valley, not far from the intersection of I-80 and I-81. It is mostly farm land and forests.

After growing up in the largest city in Kentucky, the quiet solitude of this place is a pleasure and a relief. A traffic jam here consists of four cars at most. Shopping is close and their are some very nice restaurants and diners nearby.

The only real problem I have noticed in this area is a stranglehold on wages by a small group of people who dictate what every company will pay their hourly employees. I find this odd to the extreme and another point in my belief of the Secret Society Conspiracy theories.

Our nation was birthed in the southeastern corner of this state, so it is only logical that it plays a pivotal role in our history and the plans of the conspirators.

Well, I traveled all over te USA and parts of Canada. the only US state I haven't been in is Hawaii. I would tell you about my adventure, but this post would be worth 15 pages. But if you ask, I'll be willing to tell you abou some scenic places.

Hi everyone.

I'm here in Dublin, Ireland and the weather is as inoffensive as you can get 12 months in the year. Mild, often cloudy, slight wind, a bit of rain, occasional sun. Nothing too extreme.

This is definately a good city to visit. Lots of life here and a really active night life. After all we Irish are famous for our partying and having a laugh!

Believe you me after a few hours of UC or BCM(G) I know I need a few beers!!!!

Here's my two cents...

I live in a small village just some clicks out of Livorno in Tuscany. The weather is great cold but not too much in winter and sunny and hot (a bit too hot if you ask me) in summer; spring and autumn are mild and a bit rainy.... as they should be.

Living in a small village means you know almost everybody and you behave in a friendly manner with all the people.... although sometimes is hard to avoid someone you dislike.

Our living condition are good enough and the majority of the people here own the house the live in.

Well i live in saint louis MO middle of the USA been tough most of the southern states and will be joining the army soon.

But anyhow here during the winter its cold sometimes to cold. Summer hot always to hot! spring and fall are as they should be warm and sometimes rainy. I think saint louis has it the worst never have i lived in a city that has both cold winters and hot summers yesterday we had a heat index of 110!!!

Not to mention the storms we have this year i saw the first big hail storm we had ever seen living here. sheets of hail came down and couldnt see accross the street thats how much hail there was.

thats my uhh two cents.

Living in Holland (The Netherlands) is just great!

If you don't mind giving half your income to the IRS and paying the equivalent of $ 6,75 for a gallon of fuel.

The weather is based on a sea climate. Soft winters, warm summers and a lot of rain throughout the year. The clouds we get here are something special, a lot of classic painters (Rembrandt, Vermeer, van Gogh) used them for inspiration.

Den Helder is a small city in the northern part of The Netherlands. It has seas on three sides and it is no surprise that 1/3 of the population is fisherman, 1/3 is Navy and 1/3 is running the shops etc.

Holland (means "Hollow Land") or The Netherlands (means "The lands that are lower") is, for a large part, below sea-level. My house is 6ft below. The highest point above sea-level is about 980 ft (yes, feet not yards). This hill is often called the Dutch mountain.

If you want to know what it looks like over here, look at an old landscape painting from a dutch master, add some tarmac, concrete, a 747 in the air and you get the idea.