Looking for Feedback/opinions

Wolferz

I have an Alienware system and I absolutely love it. I wanted to stay in the $3000 range and I'm happy with what I got. I'd definitely buy from them again. I looked at Falcon NW too, but I thought their prices were a little of out the atmosphere.

I read that Alienware's new video array system is supposed to kick ass too.

I paid, like I said, over $5000 for the system. On DAY 5 the video card had a melt down. They wanted me to send them a $600 deposit for a replacement card. That's ludicrous in itself considering I had already paid $5000 for the system. I opted to return the system. Which is when they informed me that I was subject to a 15% restocking fee. Long story short, they tried to give me the run around doing everything from saying they wouldn't refund my money to LOSING MY PACKAGE once I sent it back. Yada yada yada, finally I threatened a lawsuit because they were claiming a 15% restocking fee on a DEFECTIVE system. I got no reply to that message for about two days until FINALLY their sales manager called me and gave me a 2 minute apology, his personal phone number, and took my name and all my other personal information and said that if I ever decided to go with Alienware again they'd give me a 25% discount on whatever I purchased. And that is that.

Edit: Go to www.deja.com and punch in Alienware. The results speak for themselves...

Ouch -- that IS crappy. I would have been upset too. I suppose it's like buying anything else. Some people have good experiences and other get

P.S. Good luck in your search Wolferz. Didn't mean to hijack your thread.

My suggestion is to buy parts and build it yourself (after doing the proper research of course). In my case I "upgrade" what I have. I am still using a keyboard and floppy drive from my first PC, ye olde Packard Bell ('95 came with Windows 3.11).

I am on the second generation of core stuff in my current case (video card, mobo, ram, proc). I will probably buy a bigger case next time, its getting kind of cramped in the little bugger I have now. I am waiting to see what happens with this new "BTX" formfactor I keep hearing about first though.

Many thanks for your input, one and all.

Well, Masefield seems happy with his system and Bandus seems to have been slightly shafted.

Bandus, Could you elaborate on their reasoning for a $600.00 deposit for a video card,I ask that only because there are very few cards out there that cost that kind of change.

The link you provided, I take with a salt lick. It seemed to be only a bunch of purplefooted sour grape stompers who probably have trouble operating a toaster.

Oh and lest I not forget.

Mr Stoan, Very good advice and I would gladly have assembled a new system with the best parts I could find and not have troubled anyone for their thoughts about it except for one small problem; My eyes aren't as sharp as they used to be, making it very difficult for me to see tiny things in dark places. You should see me trying to take a pee on a very cloudy day, without first turning on the bathroom light.

At any rate, how's this look?

[1] Area-51®

Warranty: 1-Year AlienCare Toll-Free 24/7 Phone Support with Onsite Service

Chassis: Alienware® Full-Tower Case Space Black

Cable Management: Alienware® Cable Management System

Power Supply: 650 Watt Max Power Supply Upgrade

Processor: Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor w/ HT Technology 3.2GHz

Motherboard: ASUS® P4C800-E Deluxe - Intel 875P Motherboard

Memory: 2GB Extreme Dual Channel DDR PC-3200 SDRAM at 400MHz - 4 x 512MB

Video Card: NVIDIA┬« GeForceÔäó 6800 Ultra 256MB DDR3 w/Digital and S-Video Out

Video Optimizer: AlienAdrenaline: Video Performance Optimizer

Video Cooling: AlienIceÔäó Video Cooling System - Astral Blue

System Drive: Extreme Performance - Serial ATA RAID 0 - 73.4GB (36.7GB x 2) Western Digital RaptorÔäó 10,000 RPM w/16MB Cache

Optical Drive One: Plextor® PX-712A 12x DVD±R/W Drive

Optical Drive Two: Lite-On 52x32x52x CD-RW Drive

Floppy Drive: 3.5" 1.44 MB Floppy Disk Drive - Black

Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster® Audigy® 2 ZS High Definition 7.1 Surround

Network Connection: Integrated High Performance Intel® Gigabit Ethernet Adapter

ALX High Performance Network Cable: Alienware® ALX Network Cable

Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition

Security Software: NortonÔäó AntiVirusÔäó 2004 Professional Edition

Power Protection: Belkin® Universal UPS 800VA (450W Capacity)

Keyboard: Microsoft® Multimedia Keyboard - Space Black

Free Alienware® T-Shirt - Black

Looks good from my point of view.

I did some comparison shopping on everything and their prices on all components listed are pretty much in line with places like Circuit City, Best Buy, etc etc andAlienware will assemble it for me.

Now, I know what you're thinking and you are absolutely correct. I only ordered this monster to get the free Alienware T-shirt.

My question is what good is a warranty if the company won't hold itself to it. In my opinion, it's always best to build your own machine. For the following reasons:

YOU get to choose what you want in it

Generally cheaper (Elimination of the workforce).

Building it generally gives you enough information to fix most problems.

Of course there is no warranty on it because of this.

quote:

Originally posted by Wolferz:

My eyes aren't as sharp as they used to be, making it very difficult for me to see tiny things in dark places.

Have you seen something like this? OPTIVISOR ÔÇô Hands-Free Optical Glass Binocular Magnifier

Headband style I have something very similar to the last item on the page. Works great for me, I have seen people who work on watches use these as well to see very small parts.

quote:

Optical Drive One: Plextor® PX-712A 12x DVD±R/W Drive

Optical Drive Two: Lite-On 52x32x52x CD-RW Drive

Floppy Drive: 3.5" 1.44 MB Floppy Disk Drive - Black

Might I suggest dropping the Lite-On as the Plextor can do everything the Lite-On can plus read write to dvd's also do you really need the floppy drive?

Looks like a good system

quote:

Bandus, Could you elaborate on their reasoning for a $600.00 deposit for a video card,I ask that only because there are very few cards out there that cost that kind of change.

No, I can't actually. Why? Because I have no idea. I don't feel bad about not knowing though. They could never really tell me why it was that much either.

quote:

The link you provided, I take with a salt lick. It seemed to be only a bunch of purplefooted sour grape stompers who probably have trouble operating a toaster.

That is possible. However, that was not a link to just bad experiences people have had. It simply searches usenet posts and such. The point is, there aren't many GOOD posts out there.

Thanks Jam The floppy drive is a bloody gimme. There was no choice to remove it.

My current sys has a floppy drive but I disabled it long ago. Alienware probably buys them in ton bulk for a buck each. Not that I'm going to use it. LOL Floppy drives are ancient history to me but unfortunately there are peeps out there still living in the 20th century and Unkie Bill probably invested his first billion in floppies.

Oh, I almost forgot, I used to use an Optivisor when I built cable test equipment. It might work for me and it might not as I have not only suffered a stroke, that diminished alot of left side body parts, but also have been diagnosed with Fuch's Dystrophy in both eyes. It's a genetic malady That prevents fluid from being pumped out of the Cornea.The fluid builds up in everyone while you sleep and gets pumped away after you wake up,except in me. Most days it looks like I'm walking through a swimming pool.

I have found advice on the web for living with it.

Like fanning the eyes with a Blowdryer set on low.

Using medications for the eyes, which doesn't work.

I have found the best treatment to be the drying effect of air conditioning. So I'm not doing too bad

The only cure is a Corneal transplant and I'm not into using other people's body parts in my own, so that option is out.

I cured my sight problem in regard to interfacing with my electron machine by purchasing a 19" LCD monitor this past weekend. I gotta say...

I LOVE IT!!! It feels like I put a Drive-in movie screen on my desk.

I digress,

Everyone's input is much appreciated. Thanks again The shiney new GCV Kentucky is on it's way.

quote:

Originally posted by Masefield:

One question -- why don't you upgrade to XP Pro?

/me spews liquid refreshment in random directions.

I may be stupid but I am NOT insane.

What exactly are the benefits of a bloated POS op system like XP Pro.? Especially one that will convert your hard drive to the NTFS without so much as a "By your leave"???

XP pro turned my lady's $1800.00 Wolferz special into a paperweight.

Thanks but no thanks. It's not worth the price.

XP Pro is one of the most stable operating systems out there. However, unless your joining the computer to a domain, there is no need to buy XP Pro. The only difference between XP Pro and XP Home is that you cannot join XP Home to a domain.