Passed my exam! (aviation)

Mordax Blyrr

Oh yeah!!

Finally I was able to do my exam yesterday!

And my CPL/ME/IR (for noobs: Commercial Pilot's License, Multi Engine Rating and Instrument Rating) is in the pocket!

And no, not a 'lame' US FAA version, but a full blown JAR-FCL (read: the hard way) version!

Not to step on anyone toes, but come on, you guys don't even bother to intercept beacons, just home on them and you'll get there eventually. Just kidding! Relax...

Anyway! The Insurgents now have a real life pilot in their circle!

*bows deeply*

This one's on me!

Flying is the most beautiful thing on earth.

I agree but if you call "piloting a plane" the same as "flying" than "piloting a boat" would be "swimming".

To fly, you must get out of the plane first.

Skydivers know why birds sing!

quote:

Originally posted by dreadx:

Skydivers know why birds sing!

That's not singing. That's the sound a baby hawk makes when his momma kicks him out of the nest ... at the top of a 40-foot pine tree ... and tells him it's time to fly.

"Flying" is going up and down. Not just down.

Do you have any idea how difficult to learn the "going up" part is? Believe me, I do try. LOL

quote:

fly1 [ fl ]

v. flew [ fl ], flown [ fln ], fly┬Àing, flies [ flz ]

v. intr.

To engage in flight, especially: a. To move through the air by means of wings or winglike parts. b. To travel by air: We flew to Dallas. c. To operate an aircraft or spacecraft.

a. To rise in or be carried through the air by the wind: a kite flying above the playground. b. To float or flap in the air: pennants flying from the masthead.

To move or be sent through the air with great speed: bullets flying in every direction; a plate that flew from my hands when I stumbled.

a. To move with great speed; rush or dart: The children flew down the hall. Rumors were flying during their absence. b. To flee; escape. c. To hasten; spring: flew to her students' defense.

To pass by swiftly: a vacation flying by; youth that is soon flown.

To be dissipated; vanish: Their small inheritance was quickly flown.

past tense and past participle flied [ fld ] Baseball To hit a fly ball.

To undergo an explosive reaction; burst: The dropped plate flew into pieces. The motorist flew into a rage.

Informal To gain acceptance or approval; go over: "However sophisticated the reasoning, this particular notion may not fly" (New York Times).

There is no "going up" requirement in flying.

By the wind? So nobody can fly when there's no wind?

I just go (down) with:

"To move or be sent through the air with great speed"

And there is no such thing as a perfectly good airplane. So if some-one opens the door, I jump out.

*shakes his head*

Sky Divers are just cocky freaks who THINK they know why birds sing and claim to be more involved in flying than pilots are...

A pilot knows exactly why birds sing. They respect, yes, they even worship birds for their ability to control flight in a way man can never accomplish.

Sky Divers are just lamers out for the kick, they don't care about the finer things of flight... The adrenalin only counts. Anyways, like Marv said, falling has nothing to do with flying.

Otherwise you're a great guy, DreadX

quote:

Sky Divers are just lamers out for the kick, they don't care about the finer things of flight... The adrenalin only counts.

Adrenalin is nice but the real joy is controlling your body in freefall. These are the finer things of flight.

Imagine, Mordax, that you were given a plane that would have all the usual controls plus some extra controls which let you change the size of your wings and their location and let you change the size and form of your fuselage (And by this I don't mean using your trim options)(think F14 for changing the wings).

If you would want to bank to the right, you would simply retract your entire right wing a bit (and extend your left wing to compensate for the loss of lift).

This is one reason that skydivers think that they are more of a pilot. Because they not only control the direction and attitude of the plane (their body) but also its entire shape.

In flight, I'm able to accelerate from 0 to 60 miles/hour (just horizontal speed) in less than 3 seconds (my true airspeed would go to around 180 miles/hour). To give you an idea of manoeuvrability.

There are a lot of cocky skydivers in the world and I hope I'm not one of them. Generally they appear cocky because they can't explain what the fun is about skydiving, to some-one who doesn't have the experience. After several tries they give up and don't answer or even talk to non-skydivers about skydiving.

A minute after I leave the plane, I will try to open my parachute. This usually works and now I have a wing above me (again I'm a pilot). A flexible wing that allows me, once again, to control its attitude and shape (although this time more limited).

The engine I use for getting my airspeed is called gravity.

But I will not forget that I need a friendly, helpfull pilot to get me up there.

[ 08-30-2004, 09:24 AM: Message edited by: dreadx ]

Awwww.. you make me all melt over here, Dready! That last sentence makes up for all the nonsense you have put above it!

No just kidding, *now grabs dread by his throat* but maybe look at the definition of the word "pilot" in a dictionary while you're at it. I hate to tell you this, but you guys aren't pilots! *let go of him gently*

quote:

Awwww.. you make me all melt over here, Dready! That last sentence makes up for all the nonsense you have put above it!

That last sentence was the editing I did on that post. I added it because I realised that I always say:"Thanx for the ride, Later" (in Dutch: "Bedankt voor de lift. Mazzel") to the pilot just before I jump out. I wanted to bring across that I don't look down on pilots. Actually "getting pilot-license" is on my to-do list but I'm afraid its gonna have to wait until my retirement or untill my medical condition doesn't allow me to jump anymore.

I'm not experienced enough to try base-jumping yet.

I need your help I think, because I can't find the nonsense you are refering to.

But since you forced me to think about it again, I thought of another reason why SD's think they are more into flying than the average pilot.

This has to do with being in the air and feeling the air (and clouds and rain etc). Most pilots like flying in the air, they say, but at the same time they go through all sorts of trouble to make sure the air does not reach them (they build a cockpit around them to keep it out (sometimes even with A/C!)). Without feeling the air, you experience "flying" only in a reduced form. Hang-glider pilots and pilots of open cockpit planes would know about this.

As an afterthought:

Maybe I should have put the sentence: "Wouldn't you agree that you would have more control than you have now?" in the post just before: "That is one reason why SD's...." in order to help you understand the point I was trying to make.

Somewhere along the line I get the impression that you don't like it when I call myself pilot.

Why is that? Because of a dictionary? Well, half the terms we use in the sport are not in the dictionary (yet) but that's probably because skydivers usually don't write dictionaries.

I suggest that you look in that book again though (or buy a new one) because it clearly states that I am a pilot.

I will forget about that throat thing. OK?

And freak. And cocky. And birds.

quote:

Originally posted by Cc:

Good...two Dutchmen arguing.

That mean there's hope for the rest of us.

Sorry, I just don't get it. Am I missing something? And if "Yes" then what is it, please.

Touchy, touchy...

quote:

I need your help I think, because I can't find the nonsense you are refering to.

That does say more about your ability to self criticise than it does about anything else.

quote:

But since you forced me to think about it again, I thought of another reason why SD's think they are more into flying than the average pilot.

This has to do with being in the air and feeling the air (and clouds and rain etc). Most pilots like flying in the air, they say, but at the same time they go through all sorts of trouble to make sure the air does not reach them (they build a cockpit around them to keep it out (sometimes even with A/C!)). Without feeling the air, you experience "flying" only in a reduced form. Hang-glider pilots and pilots of open cockpit planes would know about this.

Flying has got nothing to do with feeling the rain, air or clouds, my dear friend.

Flying is about conquering (or being equal to in level flight) gravity and weight, gliding graceously (not erratic like skydivers) through the air. Equilibrium is the magic word.

Skydivers never come in a state of equilibrium, because all they do is fall. Yes, in the mean time do erratic maneuvers, feel the rain (why the heck do you jump in rain anyway?), feel the wind, etc...bla bla. It still is falling. You guys can never decide to go from a to b or stay longer in the air, just because you feel like it. Weight ( and gravity) will be your enemy and will always kill your party, how well your parachute glides doesn't matter, the global trend is "we're going down, boy". Only this makes it impossible for you guys to claim you're flying. You're gliding down at best.

It VERY difficult (impossible for longer periods anyway) to gain altitude with a para. If you look at the way airforce jockeys talk about flight; "the energy game" you guys are definate losers. You don't have the ability to convert energy into altitude, at least not for multiple (longer) times.

quote:

As an afterthought:

Maybe I should have put the sentence: "Wouldn't you agree that you would have more control than you have now?" in the post just before: "That is one reason why SD's...." in order to help you understand the point I was trying to make.

Understand as in: "you're a fool"? Who's the fool I ask, claiming he's more into flight...

quote:

Somewhere along the line I get the impression that you don't like it when I call myself pilot.

Why is that? Because of a dictionary? Well, half the terms we use in the sport are not in the dictionary (yet) but that's probably because skydivers usually don't write dictionaries.

I suggest that you look in that book again though (or buy a new one) because it clearly states that I am a pilot.

Sure, my dog even is a pilot, he likes to play flyball. He's getting his wing next week.

P.S. Consider the fact that every object which is placed into an airstream creates lift...

quote:

I will forget about that throat thing. OK?

And freak. And
cocky
. And birds.

Err.. because you guys usually don't write dictionaries many words are not (yet) present in one...

Cocky with a capital C, I'd say.