School Project: Movie Posters

Scrivener

The assignment is to deliver a series of movie posters based on an original concept. This afternoon I sketched out some ideas and got a friend to do some modeling for me. All the type is entirely placeholder but it gives an idea of what the photography will look like in poster form. There's still two more variations on the way, but take a look at these and tell me what you think:

UPDATE: And the finalists are...

Flower_1

Flower_2

Bowing_1

Face_1

Face_2

Eyes_1

Eyes_2

[ 08-23-2004, 02:14 AM: Message edited by: Scrivener ]

They're very cool man. I dig the starkness of it all. Subtle is the word, you aren't telling the story on the poster but there is enough here for me to want to know more. In the end that's all you're really after with advertising like this.

Sweetly done... and the goth broad has a great seriousness for that third shot. Hope you're buying her a couple of cocktails she sells the look.

Peace

• 4 weeks later...

Flower candidate 2 is better at attracting my attention than candidate 1.

Mainly because the red text enhances the green leaves, I think.

You call it the weakest and I disagree.

When I look at the rose, I get the feeling that something terrible and sad has just happened.

A white rose with its beauty spoiled by the stain of blood. The depicted rose brings words like: "fragile, innocent, serene" to my mind. Yet the rose still has its thorns and is therefore not as fragile and innocent as it appears to be on first sight.

The serene beauty of the rose is spoiled somewhat. It looks beautifull at first glance but if you look closer, you see that something has been eating away at the lower leaves. Even if this rose wasn't cut, it would have lost its beauty eventually (gives me a "something rotten in the state of Denmark" feeling)

However I also see "hope for the future" in the picture, in the form of the still closed butt. If this flower receives the right care, one day that butt will open and a new beautifull, untainted white rose will blossom.

My mind wonders: "Am I looking at the silent/stil remains of some sad event (the rose was just a by-stander; it has been cut neatly and at the right place, no-body stepped on it, it has not been ripped away and used to hit somebody with) or am I looking at a flower that substitutes the Queen mentioned in the title. ie should I regard the rose as a person?

Although some of the other posters look better, they do not ignite/incite as many emotions.

(I can't find the exact right words here)

Bowing.

Sad "Mona Lisa" smile, red roses and a ring on her left hand, tell me that, within a few seconds, she will probably lay the roses on a fresh grave. The ring tells me that her future won't go as she had planned it.

Face.

Like candidate 1 more than 2 because the placing of the text helps me focussing on the 2 eyes and mouth.

At this point I thought: "I'm not looking at a Queen but at a wannabee queen". The woman depicted looks like she can and will dominate ppl but she hasn't got what it takes to rule an empire. I think her eyes look "nasty" more than "firm and regal".

This is mainly because her left eye is a little bit too red for me and the woman in the picture is photographed from above. No photographer has the balls to take a close-up of his Queen while looking down on her.

The blueish-green in the background enhances the red and adds depth. I like that.

Eyes.

The difference between the two eyes (left and right, not eyes1 and eyes2) is a bit too much for me. Her left eye is too bright and the eyebrow above it is no longer visible and cannot help defining the expression of the eye (like her right eye-brow is doing for that eye and its expression).

Her left eye looks surprised while her right tells me she's got something in store for me if I don't step lightly.

(btw, I copied, flipped her right eye and put it over her left to see if I would like it better when both eyes are of the same brightness. Now she really looks spooky and werewolvish but I found that it was the difference in brightness that was too great)

I like both eye-candidates. The first one for its simplicity, the second one for the background in negative.

One thing that irritated my eyes was that the top rose in candidate2 has been reduced to a black blob that also gets cut off by the eyes-overlay.

I know she holds some roses because I've seen the bowing_candidate first. If I hadn't and saw this poster at some distance, I would barely see that she is holding something in her hands (not what it is) and not a dress-design-feature that causes the dark spots below the eyes overlay.

My two cents.

Keep in mind that these are Euro-cents and written by some-one who had a different upbringing and consequently aquired different tastes.

It is not uncommon in the movie-world to have different marketing strategies for the US and Europe. If the one who grades the project thinks the rose is the weakest, then you can always add that you had the European public in mind for this poster because you hoped the Shakespearean approach would offer them something familiar and recognizable to grasp their attention.

I mean, surely a movie as "Queen Constantine" would draw huge crowds all over the globe.

Disclaimer: All questions in this post were asked by me to me and therefore should be considered retorical.