Is anyone here a vegetarian?

Guest $iLk

Before answering, please note:

1. If you eat chicken you are not a vegetarian.

2. If you eat fish you are not a vegetarian.

3. If you eat other types of meat harvested from an animal - you are not a vegetarian.

That being said;

If you are, why are you a vegetarian?

I would rather die than never eat a steak again. Seriously.

My cousin, on the other hand, is not only a vegatarian, but a vegan. For those who don't know what that is (I didn't know what it was at first, and when he started to explain it to me, I thought for sure that he was messing with me), here's a link.

http://www.vegan.org/about_veganism/index.html

When we were kids growing up together, he liked to go to McDonalds as much as I did. We didn't see each other for 8 years, and when we saw each other again, he had become a vegan. I asked him what changed him and all he would say is that it was a natural thing to do. Okay, whatever...

quote:

Originally posted by Prez:

I asked him what changed him and all he would say is that it was a natural thing to do. Okay, whatever...

Maybe he meant that since we don't have sharp pointy teeth and nasty claws that we aren't meant to be meat eaters.

The above statement in no way reflects my personal opinion regarding the herbacious or omnivorous choice one makes.

Though you might want to speak with someone who works in the meat processing industry and it might just get you to change your mind.

And to answer the original question, no I'm not.

Although I am a healthy eater, I am not a vegetarian.

I have no problem with anyone wanting to be a vegetarian, but it can create problems. For instance, my son's friends parents are vegetarian, and therefore my son's friend is as well. I assume veg. parents raise vegetarians. Makes sense. But what happens when my son invites this kid over for overnight? I need to make special trips to the store or for takeout.

Labor Day weekend I'm cooking on the grill because thats what Americans do on Labor Day. No? I had to make a special trip to Papa Ginos (northeast pizza chain) to get this kid a pizza. Then I'm out the next morning getting him a bagel. Kind of annoying. Pizza and bagels is all I have ever seen this kid eat. I don't see how thats a healthy diet.

Something that I agree with is that 'vegetarianism' is a by-product of being in a society with so much abundance that people pick and choose what they want to do. These people are 3 meals away from tracking down something slower and killing and eating it.

A 'real' vegetarian would be someone who grew their own food, provided for themself, and ate nothing but what they grew by hand. People who pick up tofu and other kind of crap from the supermarket are part of a fad that they don't really understand.

(and no, I'm not a vegetarian.)

Must also apply to fishing. My father, brother, son, and I went deepsea fishing. A guy on the other side of the boat had on a shirt with that same phrase. Guys on both sides of him caught bundles of fish, and he didn't get a thing!

Is raw food better for you?

quote:

The fact that cooking changes a food's composition does not mean it has been stripped of its health benefits, says Claudia Gonzalez, a Miami-based registered dietitian who conducted a review of the raw-food diet for the American Dietetic Association.

Although she points out that raw foodists clearly get the fiber and other nutrients the typical American lacks, Gonzalez worries that they risk nutritional deficiencies because the diet may be too low in calories and nutrients like vitamins D and B12, which are found in animal products.

And while it may be obvious that meat, milk and eggs are potentially dangerous raw, certain non-animal products may be best eaten cooked as well.

"I would not eat raw legumes," says Dr. Jeanne Freeland-Graves of The University of Texas at Austin, noting that some beans ÔÇö such as kidney and fava beans ÔÇö carry potentially toxic compounds when raw.

I have this theory that if we can't catch it or pick it off a tree/bush/plant we shouldn't be eating it. Do I follow my own theory? Nope. I avoid bread as much as possible though.

My friend was a vegetarian for a while, she would buy things that resembled meat. I called it smeat. I have another friend who is a Vegan, so is her dog. I think that's cruel.

I love meat, even though I have recently lost a cousin to CJD (said to be the human form of mad cow disease) they aren't sure whether it was sporadic (just happens or hereditary) or from eating meat. She has been out of the country. A lot of people on the boards at a site for CJD family members have given up meat. No one knows where it came from, did the cow give it to humans did humans give it to the cow. At anyrate I just had a great prime rib and a potato. If the meat doesn't one day kill me I am sure pesticides will, if not that mabey a bus, who knows.

When all is said and done, I am not a big vegetable eater. Most are yucky, I also have a texture issue. Tomatoes taste how they smell and potatoes often taste like the dirt they were grown in.

Someone stop the rambling!!!

If anyone wants more information on Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease, let me know.

quote:

Originally posted by Cmdr Chavik:

I avoid bread as much as possible though.

I do too. But only the bleached flour white versions. The oat bran/whole wheat varieties are a good source of fiber. I stick with the low carb versions.

A low carb diet is a nice way to lose the few extra pounds you might carry. But I digress. I don't want to derail the topic...

Maybe he should have drank less water... by their philosophy he would have weighed less then.

I know a couple Vegetarians, and after I saw this post I figured I'd ask them for you $ilk. One said she didn't like the slaughter of animals.. which is ok I guess, I don't agree, but ok. The other really has no clue... her parents were Vegitarians and thats all he's really eaten.

: No real solid reason here.

A guy who used to be my friend is a vegetarian because of the cruelty to animals issue.

My view is that vegetarianism is a philosophical choice that I absolutely respect. Veganism is just another extreme viewpoint whose only useful purpose is to define one of the limits of the argument. From a health standpoint it has it's own issues.

The 'cruelty to animals' issue I can buy if most of these people didn't turn right around and eat chicken and fish.

Those who absolutely swear off meat are doing themselves a dis-service.

As Ron White said of a vegetarian friend who complained about getting sick after eating broth: "Your system is kicking back [beef] broth? You're a manly man ain't ya?"

I didn't crawl to the top of the food chain to eat tofu.

I never have understood vegetarians.

Humans, have grinding teeth, as well as teeth for bitting, ripping, and cutting flesh. So obviously we were made to eat meat as well as fruits and vegies.

I for one, can't tolerate fruits and vegetables. I have an apple once every six months, and maybe a banana every 3 or so. All I eat is steaks, burgers, hot dogs, chicken, eggs and sometimes fish. Well, with potatoes, or rice thrown in.

Salads, fruits, vegetables or just greens by themselfs, can't eat it, first of all, it never satisfies my hunger, second - I feel physically weak and tired if I don't eat meat. That's why I never understood vegetarians. All I know is, if me and a vegetarian get stranded on an empty island with no fish or mamals to hunt, I am eating him. LOL, seriously.