Derek: Hurricane Wilma Devastates Florida

Guest Remo Williams

Guest Remo Williams

Just want to relay a message from Derek to let you all know that he is okay.

quote:

Hey Guys,

I am sending this quickly though my cell phone and PDA (via Bluetooth).

Wilma devastated my city of Weston here in Florida and I don't even know

where to begin to describe it. My house took some major damage, but

minor compared to everyone else around me. Roofs gone. Windows blown

out. Decks, covered patios all gone. I live on a private lake with only about

ten houses around it - and each one has extensive damage; with every

single covered patio gone. Not to mention roofs, tiles etc. It is a mess. A

mess. I was out driving earlier today and helping move some trees from

the road; and its so depressing, I may just move out of here once the

dust settles. Its that bad.

The once nice, clean, decorative exclusive (and overly expensive) city

of Weston, looks like downtown Baghdad. 98% of Broward County (where

Weston is), is currently without power. And most of the greater Fort Lauderdale

(Weston was part of Fort Lauderdale before incorporating into a city a few

years back) is either out of water or on a boil water order.

We also have a 7pm to 7am curfew due to the extensive amount of damage

to most of South Florida's infrastructure.

Anyway, let the troops on the forum know. Remo, you can post this email

for me in its entirety as a quote.

I'll try to keep in touch when I can.

DS

I was hoping that he wouldn't get slammed that hard.

Glad to hear he's OK....

It was a might worrisome when he hadn't posted all day...

Well, if he moves, we have LOTS of great houses up here in Washington state...LOL

He did post earlier today, I feel stupid....LOL

But glad to hear that he's OK all the same....

I'm fine guys. Just got power back on (I'm one of the luck 3,600 out of 850K that got power) here in Weston. It keeps going on/off; but at least it comes on for a few hours.

I'm not worried about my house actually. Material things can be replaced. Its just so depressing when you got out in the neighborhood and see the devastation. I took pictures, videos etc; but I simply cannot bring myself to even process them.

I was in hurricane Andrew back in 1992 when I lived in Miami (for those of you who remember), so I'm used to seeing this sort of destruction.

Its the worst hurricane that Broward has ever experienced since King back in 1950.

Well, I've just shipped two games and we've only just got started on pre-production for KnightBlade and continuing with UCO; so now is a good time as any to take an extended vacation.

http://cbs4.com/

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

I'm fine guys. Just got power back on (I'm one of the luck 3,600 out of 850K that got power) here in Weston. It keeps going on/off; but at least it comes on for a few hours.

Lucky Bastard! I'm in Delray Beach and we still don't have Power over here. Running off of a Generator, but it's costing around $18.00 a day in Gas! Just got my Internet and Cellphone Service back yesterday, and regular telephones today. Unlike you, I don't live so close to the Western Grid that they've been working on all week to get back online, so I have to wait for them to move east and clean up all these lines all over the place. Like you, my area uses underground Wiring, but we're fed from an overground grid that runs from way out west (I'm closer to I-95 than the Turnpike). Just checked FPL's website and they're saying that my area won't have power again until NOVEMBER 22!!! AAAaaahhhh!

OH well, I can't complain too much, my office in Deerfeild got flooded out, but my Server with all my info is OK and my house only lost a few tiles in around a 5'X10' section, so it shouldn't cost TOO much to get fixed. Mostly just sucks not being able to work for a week, especially during a month that is so crucial to my business.

Yeah, FPL is quoting Nov 22nd (worse case scenario) for full power restoration.

They've also lifted the boil water order for most cities, including here in Weston.

As for the Weston cleanup crew; they've started in some areas. My realtor tells me that she anticipates that it would take them inside of 6-8 months to clean up the entire mess in the city. Can you imagine that?

No to mention that there was no gas (due to the stations not having generators). Now that some stations have power here in Weston, the lines are like 5-6 hrs long. I ran out this morning to pick up some stuff, saw a shorter line down the street and joined it. Fifty-three minutes later, I was at the pump. They had a $60 per car limit; but since I had gas in the CLK, I only needed $34 to fill up the tank. Of course, the X3 is empty; so I have to go back later because I didn't happen to have an empty gas container with me and the station didn't have any for sale.

By the time I left the station, the line had quadrupled.

Grocery stores still no longer stock perishables until further notice. They have no ice, water or bread.