soccer and world cup

Cruis.In

hey haven't seen anyone talking about the world cup, anyone watching? Or have I Missed it.

I try to catch certain games inbetween work. I actually would like the u.s to get to the second round because i feel sorry for em...

however after looking at team ratings by FiFa as of 2006, I see the United states is ranked as the 4th best team in the world. A team like the Chech republic is ranked the 2nd best in the world. Italy is ranked 16th best... so what I want to know is, what determines that ranking... and how can a 16th seeded team have posed trouble to a 4th seeded team... etc etc..

and how can a 40th seeded team like australia be playing so good, especially against #1`ranked Brazil..... do rankings matter in soccer?

quote:

Originally posted by Cruis.In:

hey haven't seen anyone talking about the world cup, anyone watching? Or have I Missed it.

I try to catch certain games inbetween work. I actually would like the u.s to get to the second round because i feel sorry for em...

however after looking at team ratings by FiFa as of 2006, I see the United states is ranked as the 4th best team in the world. A team like the Chech republic is ranked the 2nd best in the world. Italy is ranked 16th best... so what I want to know is, what determines that ranking... and how can a 16th seeded team have posed trouble to a 4th seeded team... etc etc..

and how can a 40th seeded team like australia be playing so good, especially against #1`ranked Brazil..... do rankings matter in soccer?

They sorta kinda matter. The World Cup pretty much hasn't followed rankings much at all though. I'm rooting for the USA and England right now, and after this weekend I'm not so sure that the USA will be able to spring back so cleanly.

I still don't see how we lost this past weekend. Its just not clicking inside my brain as to what we did so terribly to lose. Just couldn't make any goals.

I'm watching it, or to be more exact... keeping the espn web thingy up at work and watching dots randomly appear while a counter goes up to 90:00

The USA vs Italy game was rough in my book. And the ref seemed to have some kind of power trip handing out cards... not like they are candy but a few of them were waranted.

ref: Yellow for you, and another yellow for you... Oh! you were a good boy last play, so here's a nice red one for you

quote:

Probably cause they were all banned..

Criterion

Dude you are new and contrary to popular belief we go easy on the noobs, but seriously your sarcasm is kinda uncalled for...

We MAY not be posting cuz we are actually doing trite little things like working, family, etc.. and we may even be watching the Cup..(Go USA!)

Stay on thread and you will be cool!

The US team has been schizophrenic. They are an agressive scoring team that played defensively against the Czhec's after giving up one goal. It worries me that they havent scored one goal yet, we certainly cant depend on own goals to get us thru to the next round

I'm watching it.

I think the cup has been great so far, with offensive and even teams - so far one of the best world cups I've watched.

I'm particullary surprised by the spanish team. They've allways had good players, but allmost never had a good team in the cups. But as allways I hope Netherland will do good.

I was surprised when I heard that USA was ranked as number 4, and personally I think they are overranked. Although I do hope they get to the semi-final. In the Italy-USA game, you heard more from the referee than the supporters, and he was far from good enough to judge a game of this calibre - he probably won't judge another game in this world cup.

The ranking system of FIFA is a bit strange. Norway was ranked as number 2 in 1993..... (but we haven't been beaten by Brasil yet).

Linky to wikipedia on the FIFA Wolrd Rankings.

Yeah, the ref for the Italy-USA game was out of control. I hope that he won't be seen in any other games.

I keep track with a lot of USA's FIFA games, and they never do this bad. There was a little team reorganization going on since last year, and I think thats what's killing them right now.

You want schizophrenic, the Czech team was awesome against the USA and terrible against Ghana- in the second half they didn't attack or defend adn constantly gave the ball away whenever they got it, the only one who showed any interest in the game was Petr Cech, the goalkeeper, we were really lucky to only lose 2-0, it was appalling.

That was a really good fighting performance by the USA against Italy when you guys were down to 9 men, your lack of goals is a worry though.

The USA-Czech Republic-Italy-Ghana group is the most exciting going into the final match, almost any combination of qualifiers is possible, with the exception of both Ghana and the USA going through.

I'd like the USA and the Czech Republic to go through, though that is the least likely possibility, we'd both have to win by a combined margin of 6 goals, or by a combined margin of 5 if the USA score 3 more times against Ghana than the Italians do against us.

I'm supporting England and the Czech Republic at the moment, hoping that England can get their attacking formation going and that the Czechs can overcome these injury problems and their dire performance in their last match.

England are up tonight (in 4 and a half hours), then it's crunch time for the USA and Czech Republic on Thursday.

Gripping stuff (though frustrating at times)

exciting match. oh well T&T are out, they played really well in all of their matches. The last one being the most exciting.... they just couldn't finish.

Id like u.s.a. and australia to get through. i hope italy beats the checks 3 nil or something, though I doubt that will happen. Italy doesn't seem very on to me.

Failing that I'll go back with argentina... i just hope that two teams i dont like dont play in the final...

quote:

Originally posted by Ben Zwycky:

not to be (not that we deserved to go in the lead this half)- yet another draw with Sweden.

Gah! That was disappointing. Now two of my picks (USA, England, and Germany are my favorite teams) have some kind of blues going on. At least England will be moving on. 7 points isn't that bad; its much better than America's 1.

Guest Grayfox

pah soccer is boring... watching 11 guys run around for 90 minutes to score what? 2 maybe 3 goals? 4 goals and its "high scoring"...

for all that i do hope england breaks the funk and wins. i know the US really doesnt stand a chance... to many cry babies and "me me me" players that are prevalent in our sports. oh well.

now the rugby world cup on the other hand...

quote:

Originally posted by Ben Zwycky:

not to be (not that we deserved to go in the lead this half)- yet another draw with Sweden.

Yeah. England hasn't won against Sweden in 38 years. Personally I was glad it was a draw. That means Sweden AND England will advance

Too bad the Czech team has lost so many good players. I like their game a lot. Nedved, though, is still going strong. How old is he?

quote:

Originally posted by Vixef:

Too bad the Czech team has lost so many good players. I like their game a lot. Nedved, though, is still going strong. How old is he?

Looks like we might get Baros back (hopefully for the Italy game)

Nedved is 33 now, Nedved's profile

well I think soccer is kinda boring too, not like basketball or hockey where scoring is tight or more often. much less degree hockey though. but i do like watching the world cup games.

italy has to be the checks for america to get through, if it is a draw, checks get one point, and even if america beat ghana, the checks have better goal difference because of the 3-0 trashing they gave u.s

but u.s will need to play hard to score against ghana... they have not even scored yet in the tournament. maybe they will surprise like in 2002, against portugal.

Guest Remo Williams

quote:

Originally posted by Criterion:

Well...the simple truth is Remo has banned all the interesing people here.

I mean, why did Jamotto get banned?

All he did was post on interesting 3rd party space sims. Plus other interesting items.

Never pissed anyone off.

Who banned Jamotto wasn't me? Your way out of line here sir posting off topic to make wild baseless accusations tells me you have been here before under another alias. You are banned for a week for posting off topic. If I find that what I think is correct it will be permanent.

Sorry for the interrupt gentlemen, IÔÇÖve been following a few of the games itÔÇÖs going to be and interesting season.

Why o why doesn't Karel Bruckner play Marek Heinz? He's a quality attacking midfielder/striker, scored twice in Euro 2004 and has had no injury problems Why does he insist on playing Polak, who can't pass or shoot and is a bad tackler? Polak didn't mark his man for the goal, and just got himself sent off in the stupidest possible way 30 seconds from the end of the first half Argh!

well the socceroos are in after an exciting match against croatia. too bad for u.s i got really excited for them when i saw dempsey score... great play, the players were so up beat. that crap call just sucked there life. football isnt a game where you can easily recover from crap calls which cost goals.