Derek's 20,000th post

Quazar

The counter on his latest post (at the time of this writing) has Derek's tally pegged at "19951" I haven't kept track, but I think I can recall back in the day his count at about eleven thousand four hundred something.

Anyway if anyone happens to catch the big one, could you link it to this thread?

Normally, this thread would be crap. But, in light of who it relates to, and who owns the boards, and the fact that *I* don't think its crap (seriously, if I don't have ANY weight around here anymore it's BS), I want to give this one a little "bump".

Derek Smart deserves this. I hate to get sappy, but there was a time not too long ago where I considered him a good and regular friend (that hasn't changed ... just a different time...). Regardless of his fairly "gruff" exterior, I've never known a guy who's been more loyal to the people who helped make him, and, as a Marine, that makes a world of difference to me. At one point (prior to my being called away due to duty), I designed and HOSTED a website specifically aimed at DS's detractors. They *****ed and moaned, but guess who won that "legal" battle ... WE did. You know why? DS doesn't BS.

Heck. I've made promises, that, due to the war, I was unable to fulfill. Did you know that I was contracted, as a shake the hands agreement to WRITE the MANUAL for BCM? I was unable to fulfill that promise because of a role I had to fill after 9/11 (ask an old-timer such as Rattler or Gallion about my history) and that "breaking" of a promise still haunts me to some extent.

And let me tell you why: Derek Smart designed a GREAT freakin' game, and for NO OTHER REASON than that I was HONEST and FAIR, he entrusted ME and people LIKE ME to help build and regulate such a wonderful community against all odds. Some of you newcomers have NO IDEA the battle we fought to get here, and, to be honest, in my absence I've missed a lot. But, as even Derek will tell you, I've fought as hard as ANYONE during the HARDEST of times to make sure it all happened the RIGHT way.

Though some people may think that I'm a blind follower of Derek Smart and only out for making a name for myself, they need to think again. Derek and I have had MANY disagreements via ICQ (and, in the Wonder Years, even once or twice via phone), but we've always come to a happy medium. Hell, after all the shit (pardon) he's put up with and the way he's responded, most of you probably wouldn't know the first thing about Derek's character. But, let me tell you this: he's as STAND-UP a guy as I've met, and I only hope to shake his hand for real some day. Any of you that doubt that ... go back a few years on this forum and READ. DS may have a big bark, but, as far as his bite goes, he has ALWAYS erred on the side of the people.

I know that this may be a long post, and I know that it may be too much history for some of you, but I really want to get across a simple point: Derek Smart, regardless of his programming-prowess, has created something larger than he would even imagine: a community more intellingent, more creative, and more loyal than video-gaming has ever seen. And, for once, he needs to be respected for it. Funny thing: would you believe that *my* FIRST post EVER on this board was deleted by none other than D. Smart himself? Who the HELL else would have let someone he didn't FACE-TO-FACE KNOW help tweak this very forum's settings? No one.

What developer on God's Green Earth let someone have access to and tamper with a community that some bullshit producer tried EVERYTHING to destroy? No one.

Derek and I are almost COMPLETELY opposed politically. Does that matter? Nope. DS doesn't give a rat's ass about any of that, yet I have access to run these boards (along with others with the same level of trust as me). My point: all the BS about how strict we are here is BULL. You can like or dislike whatever you want - just have a modicum of intelligence to back up your reasoning. That's all we ask.

Why this long, rambling post? Let me conclude...

7 years is a long time ... a better part of a decade. I may not be a good beta tester ... I may not be an exceptional gamer ... I may not be the best writer (although I'd like to think I'm pretty good ), I may not agree with the "Company Line" I may not have been able to meet all of my obligations ... but Derek didn't care. He was ALWAYS as loyal to me as anyone I've known. Therefore, no matter when he conquers or falls, I'll always be loyal to Derek Smart. Trust in me will ALWAYS be rewarded in kind.

DS: When you hit 20,000 posts ... let us just say I saw it coming...

Aramike, that was wayyyy! kewl. I have never met the man but strangely count him as a friend. No other developer ever cultivated real relationships with the folks who buy his games, and while I don't know much, I know a good dude when I see one and DS is a good dude Happy soon to be 20,000th

quote:

I'm....speechless.

About time! Derek Smart, for as much as I've seen this guy go through, being "speechless" is something that, quite frankly, I NEVER thought could POSSIBLY happen.

quote:

brb

If you're not back by Sunday, I'll be afraid you've lost your touch...

quote:

Aramike, that was wayyyy! kewl.

Thanks RB4! I'm happy to have gotten a reader on this. Sometimes a story has to be told.

quote:

Dare I say it?

The countdown has begun.

20k posts boss,

Can any other developer boast a similar milestone? I serrrriously doubt it.

Screw doubt. It simply hasn't ever happened. Think: Developer pays HIS money to create a game and community and actively participates in said community... never has happened and never will happen again.

I don't think I will ever reach 20,000 posts!

Aramike you are soo right on! I remember a few calls from Derek when I first bought the game and came to the forums and PMS'ed all over the place becasue I didn't "RTFM"! No other developer has ever called me to walk me through things that I don't understand, nevermind continue the call through all of my giggling.

hehe, yeah, I remember that phone call echo. Good times.

Hey Mike, I got your PM, but I've been bummed out over a sprained knee these past few days and have been logging on from bed on my laptop. I will reply later this weekend though. Right now I'm trying to pry myself out of bed so I can make it to church.

Anyway, I appreciate the kind words and all that good stuff. Though I haven't been frequent on the boards as I used it, it is all due to some life and family changes, coupled with the move to a new house, dealing with multiple developments (esp the transition to XB360) and whatnot. So, needless to say, I have my hands full.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

hehe, yeah, I remember that phone call echo. Good times.

Hey Mike, I got your PM, but I've been bummed out over a sprained knee these past few days and have been logging on from bed on my laptop. I will reply later this weekend though. Right now I'm trying to pry myself out of bed so I can make it to church.

Anyway, I appreciate the kind words and all that good stuff. Though I haven't been frequent on the boards as I used it, it is all due to some life and family changes, coupled with the move to a new house, dealing with multiple developments (esp the transition to XB360) and whatnot. So, needless to say, I have my hands full.

Take your time, boss. Believe me, the time you've spent on here has been a pleasant suprise to all anyway, and if other commmitments/injuries have you down, we all understand.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, a lot of people responded to this thread. I guess you are poplar after all, boss.

aramike, you are right on in your comments.

quote:

Originally posted by Wolferz:

Dare I say it?

The countdown has begun.

It's at 19993 with this one. Seven posts to go.

time for a and a

great to see the support we've all had over the years, we understand how annoying we've all been at one time or another and really appreciate you sticking through with us.

Congrats, SC!

Wow!  And actually I knew when Derek had very few posts as I was originally a member of the first boards(looked almost exactly like these IIRC) but I lost track of my account, or more likely it got deleted.  (This was from back in the BC3K 1.0 Take 2 then all the upgrades that Derek did, then the 2.0 Interplay re-release.  After that I lost my way for a few years.  (Tried too go mostly mac only, but gaming was putrid...))

In any event, it's nice to see a developer that sticks around backs up his product, helps out customers, and generally just hangs out...  It's become almost unheard of for developers to do this (or at least publically) in this day and age...  I miss the old days...

Guest Remo Williams

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

So, are going to have a party? Or will a good old pre-release UCSE demo suffice?

That would work for me!