Snakes In The Pool!!!

Supreme Cmdr

Just before I wrote my review on the movie Snakes On A Plane, I was in the kitchen getting a drink and talking on the phone to a friend of mine. Just then, I looked out onto the pool area and noticed that the dogs (I have a pair of JRTs) were sticking their paws into the pool.

Knowing that they do this when chasing anything that lives (e.g. frogs, tadpoles, spiders etc), I ignored them. Until one of them jumped back and went back to the pool edge.

Curious, I walked closer to the sliding glass door and noticed a Black 'thing' in the pool. I didn't have my glasses on, so I went outside.

To my horror, there was a Black snake in the pool!!

So I quickly sent the dogs inside, grabbed my glasses and went back for a closer look. Yep, it was a snake alright.

I went inside to grab the phone and call the pool guy. When I came back out, the snake was gone.

Horified I frantically and cautiously looked around for it.

I had all but given up when I thought to look in the drainage bin where the pool crawler (cleaner) sucked in dirt from the pool during its cleaning run.

...and there were, not one, but TWO identical snakes in the bin.

I immediately re-sealed the bin cover, grabbed some tape to close the holes and then dashed for the garage, grabbed a paint can and put it on top of the bin cover to prevent them from coming out.

Now I have no clue what to do, now what kind of snakes they are.

Left a message for the pool guy; since he has most probably encountered these fellows in his pool cleaning days.

snakes01

snakes02

snakes03

quote:

Originally posted by HorseloverFat:

Probably not such a hot idea posting your Weston address per the latest press release.

Or, someones address.

wtf are you talking about? Its Summer and these snakes are prevalent around here; especially in pools (at least thats what the pool guy said when he came to pick them up).

And you don't have to be in a certain place to see certain types of snakes.

Since my home is in a gated community and my estate is fenced (as is my pool which is screened in), it is highly unlikely that anyone would go through the trouble of dropping snakes in my pool.

Well it say that those are constricting snakes so they should not be venomous; but I'll not take that for sure just for caution.

It is not a pleasant encounter at all finding them in your pool nor in your garden.

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/natsci/herpetolog...ispunctatus.htm

"Neck ring present, but usually broken in the middle; peninsular Florida north through southern Alabama and the coastal plain to southeastern Virginia."

Description - http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/natsci/herpetolog...sppunctatus.htm

"Ringnecks are the snakes that are most frequently found in Florida swimming pools ÔÇö they crawl in to get a drink and then cannot climb out because they are too small to reach the lip of the pool. If you find one in your pool, lift it out with the leaf skimmer or a dipnet and turn it loose in the shrubs where it can get back to eating things you do not want in your garden. "

My dad is big on killing rattlesnakes around where I used to live... he would see one crossing the road and literally slam on brakes, grab his stick out of the back of the truck, and engage in a duel.

I remember one time he had knocked one out, thrown it in the truck (his friend makes belts out of them) and we got to the post office and the damn thing was going nuts in the back of the truck rattling and generally pissed.

I'm sure people looked at us weird beating the hell out of the back of his truck.